Akureyri Hotels

Our Members Say

• travelfrosch profile photo travelfrosch
  • Reviews: 959

Gista: Handy Guest Apartment

Gista consists of three apartments in a building not far from the cruise ship docks, ring road bus stop, and official tourist office. The building has one 1-bedroom apartment on the ground floor, and two-bedroom apartments on the second and third floor. We booked the 1-bedroom apartment (with a sofa bed for Minifrosch) for roughly US$160 per night. The apartment was roomy (though the living room was a bit cramped with the sofa bed folded out) and had excellent facilities, including a kitchen, TV, free wi-fi, and access to laundry facilities. The apartment also includes a complimentary parking space should you rent a car. Be warned, however: there is no reception, and you must call the owner to have someone drive over to the building and let you in. Fortunately, we had a cell phone with an Icelandic SIM card. If you don't, consider a visit to the Tourist Office and have them call Gista for you. If you're arriving at an odd hour, you might seriously consider investing in an Icelandic cell phone (for example, phones and SIM cards are available for sale from Icelandair's onboard "Saga Shop").

- Guest apartments with self-catering facilities
- Free wi-fi
- Access to laundry facilities
- No reception; you must call to check in

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Budget Travel, Family Travel
  • Written July 16, 2013

Gista

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Akureyri Backpackers: A brand new hostel in the city center.

In July 2012 my friend and I decided on going to Akureyri. It was a last minute kind of trip as we had just come from Landmannalaugar and returned to Reykjavik and wanted to continue travelling. So I started searching for vacant rooms in Akureyri. Finding a vacant room in Akureyri in July with such a short notice is next to impossible. We had found a room at Hotel Edda for the second night of our stay, but my search for a room for the first night was in vain. So we had packed the tent and decided on camping the first night - although neither of us was in the mood to do that.

But in the morning of the day we departed I came across a vacant room at Akureyri Backpackers - and for a reasonable price - ISK 11.180 for a double room. I had never heard of Akureyri Backpackers and it is a hostel, so I packed my pillow and my duvet and off we went after having reserved a room on-line.

We could not believe our luck when we arrived, the guesthouse is located in the very center of Akureyri, on their main street. So the view from our window was of the main stores in the shopping street. I absolutely loved it.

The room was spacious and very clean and they had duvets and pillows in a made up bed, so my duvet stayed in the car the whole time.

When we arrived we were the only ones in the hostel, but later on it got filled with guests. All of them tourists.

We were on 4th floor and there is a balcony there with a great view of Akureyri. I so loved it there and will definitely stay there again.

There are shared toilets on each floor and the showers are in the basement. Akureyri Backpackers just opened a month before we arrived, that is why I had never heard of them before. So they had not finished everything and the showers had the same entrance for men and women, which I found kind of not cool. But they were in the process of fixing that.

There was a big kitchen on the ground floor with all the necessary kitchen utensils. We went to a restaurant so we did not use the kitchen though.

When we checked in and paid we got a coupon for a large beer in the bar, my friend drank hers, but I do not drink beer, so my coupon was kind of wasted on me. I tried to persuade the friendly guy at the bar to change the coupon for a glass of wine, but he was not allowed to do that.

The lounge had very comfortable seats from a bus. There are 2 big screen TVs in the lounge and Internet access plus free wifi.

The only thing that put a damper on our stay were the very loud Irish guys, who had been at a football match - and stayed up until 3 in the morning singing and shouting beneath our window. Our excursion was at 8 in the morning, so we were not amuzed. But this is not the fault of the hostel, our stay there was absolutely perfect.

• Written July 21, 2012

Our room.

• smirnofforiginal profile photo smirnofforiginal
  • Reviews: 963

Thornsteins Apartmenr: in Blonduos

Tucked away, impossibly difficult to find, in the town is this delightful guesthouse. It is actually slap bang in front of the church - no not the weird, giant, back one but the pretty, wooden, green &white one!

It had been very recently refurbished. It may even be possible we were some of the very friest guests, in not the first! Stylishly (modern) decorated with everything you could possibly need. Comfortable, clean. Lovely.

Sleeps a family of 4 (2 bedrooms, bathroom and hige kitchen/diner/living room) €110 for 1 night.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Family Travel, Road Trip
  • Written June 2, 2011

• Erlendson profile photo Erlendson
  • Reviews: 1

Hotel Kea: Enjoyed it.

We only stayed one night. The room was small but clean. Staff was accomodating. I would recommend this hotel to others; we got a special rate as we were off season - special rate meaing the same price as Hotel Harpa. The location was very good.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written December 8, 2010

average room

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Edda - Akureyri.: Hotel Edda - an Icelandic hotel chain.

Hotel Edda is a chain of hotels which are only open during the summer months as they serve as a school during the winter months. When I stay in Akureyri I camp or stay at Brekkusel guesthouse. But there was a summer offer on certain dates at Hotel Edda in Akureyri and it was cheaper than staying at a guesthouse so I jumped at the chance.

It is a lovely hotel with spacious rooms. I opted for a room with a washbasin, with the showers and toilets being in the corridor. The room itself though was a little colourless (grey), seeing this is a school in the winter time. And the beds could not be pushed together, so we had to sleep in separate ends of the room. And in my room the pillows were really tiny, like baby-pillows, so I had to get my pillow from the car. But apart from this I was very happy with my stay, this hotel has a pure "hotel feel" to it.

On the ground floor there is a bar and a lounge area with a piano and a TV and a pool table. On each floor there is a sitting room with lovely sofas. Everything is up to par in this hotel. And I will definitely stay there again next time I visit the lovely town of Akureyri.

I add more photos of Hotel Edda Akureyri in a travelogue here.

In July 2012 I stayed in Hotel Edda again with a friend of mine. We decided on going on a last minute trip to Akureyri and were looking for a place to stay, which is kind of hard - finding anything last minute in July in Akureyri. But there was a vacant room at Hotel Edda on the second night of our stay. So we now needed to find a room for our first night, which we found on the same day as we departed (see my next tip).

This time around we had good pillows and our stay was fantastic. We went to the dining room in the basement and my friend had soup, which was very cheap, only ISK 350. We meant to have tea at the bar, but then decided on going to the restaurant. And we did not regret that, as included in the price of the soup was tea, for my friend and for me as well. So for soup and 2 cups of tea we paid ISK 350 - in a hotel restaurant. At the bar only one cup of tea cost more than that.

For the room we paid ISK 11.800, which is fine, if two people are travelling together and splitting the cost.

• Written August 18, 2010

The room.

• tim76 profile photo tim76
  • Reviews: 80

Hótel Íbúðir: Big apartment in down-town Akureyri

There is plenty of accommodation in Akureryi. It seemed to me that every other house was a guesthouse. I picked Hótel Íbúðir from the guidebook and was not disappointed.

The first impression is not very favourable. The ground floor is completely empty, except from some dirty mattresses scattered over the concrete floor. It was only when we found the stairs at the back of the hotel that things got better. As is often the case in Icelandic guesthouses, there's no reception and it took a little while before the owner arrived. She gave us her biggest apartment with three bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room and a kitchen. The bathroom had a great shower and the beds were comfortable.

• Related to: Road Trip
  • Written June 7, 2010
Tip Photo

• amazingclick profile photo amazingclick
  • Reviews: 130

Countryhotel Sveinbjarnargerdi: Akureyri

This hotel is about 5-10 min from Akureyri on highway 1. The views from there are great although finding it was a bit tough. Just look for the sign on highway 1 called Sveinbjarnargerdi on the right and the only structure there is the hotel. Accomodation was great, people very welcoming and the breakfast very average. I wouldnt recommend eating over there unless you just want to fill yourself up...you could always drive to Akureyri and eat over there.

Great views, free wifi, good accomodation.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Written September 11, 2009

Countryhotel Sveinbjarnargerdi

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Brekkusel guesthouse in Akureyri, N-Iceland.: A guesthouse in Akureyri.

Brekkusel guesthouse is one of the many guesthouses in Akureyri. I have stayed there three times. The location is good, 4 minutes' walking distance from the swimming pool, Samkaup supermarket is just opposite the guesthouse, the campground as well and the botanic garden is just a few minutes' away. The rooms are really cosy, white painted and clean. Some rooms have a shower and WC, others don't, but in the hall there is a very nice bath-room. There is a sitting room with TV and a big, fully equipped kitchen. There are 2 floors, but I have only stayed on the 2n floor, both in a room with a bath and without, and both were equally nice. There is one room though that is very small and I got a bad feeling inside, so I had to change rooms, so if you are sensitive don't stay in there ;) As you can see from the pricelist on their website the price is good, especially if you bring your own sleeping bag.

I stayed there the last time in August 2010 and was disappointed, the room I got was small and dirty and the shower was very dirty. This guesthouse has been my favourite when staying in Akureyri, but I would opt for another place to stay now.

I add more photos of Brekkusel guesthouse in a travelogue here.

• Written September 13, 2008

The bedroom.

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Akureyri campground.: Camping next to a supermarket in N-Iceland!

There are 2 campsites in Akureyri, one right in the middle of the town, at Þórunnarstræti, where I stayed, and one in Kjarnaskógur forest right outside of town, which is called Hamrar. It is an excellent campsite, with good cooking facilities and toilet facilities. The campsite has access to the showers at the swimming pool across the street. You pay at the entrance and are only allowed to drive inside the campsite while unloading and loading your car, but I saw a lot of people not following that rule, and I myself would prefer to have the car parked near the tent.

There is a washing machine and a dryer at the campsite and access to electricity for a small fee.

Camping in the middle of a town is a cheap alternative to staying at an expensive hotel. But if the weather turns out to be awful there is a reasonably priced guesthouse across the street of the supermarket, see my tip on that.

I have camped here on several occasions and find it excellent and surely a cheaper alternative to the hotels and guesthouses in Akureyri.

The campsite is open from early June-September.

See my tip on the town of Akureyri here Akureyri

Right in the middle of town with a supermarket almost on the campground and the swimming pool across the road.

• Written September 4, 2008
Tip Photo

The kitchen- and toilet-area.

• Redang profile photo Redang
  • Reviews: 2924

Hotel Edda Akureyri: Hotel Edda Akureyri

Hotel EDDA is a highly recommended chain of hotels. They are simple with really clean rooms, and some of them offer very spacious ones; the food is fantastic (I had dinner in some of them) and the staff is very nice.

In reality, they are residents for students used as hotels from May/June to August/September (it depends, so, check the dates). But don't be afraid, some are good, some others, are really fantastic! For example, this one.

Very spacious room.

Price I really paid: Twin room: 13.600 ISK; breakfast: 900 ISK per person (August '08); free wi-fi free parking in the complex.

1 ISK = 0,008251 € = 0,01213 $ (August ’08).

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written August 30, 2008
Tip Photo

Hotel EDDA (Akureyri, Iceland)

• Pieuw profile photo Pieuw
  • Reviews: 1

Gista apartments: The best place to stay in Akureyri

We always try to find apartments to stay in when traveling, as it offers often more comfort and you are more free in our planning. If we want to eat breakfast at 06:00 because when want to leave early we have this freedom. In Akureyri we stayed in apartment from Gista. We came in a clean and nice decorated apartment with all facilities an apartment should have. TV in both bedrooms and in the livingroom, not that we used it, but it was there :-), good kitchen equipments, an OK bathroom, access to the washing room and most important good beds to sleep in. We stayed there for a week and took day trips from Akureyri. What a great country it is!

With two kids it was a real big advantage to have access to the washing room.

• Related to: Hiking and Walking, Family Travel
  • Written April 15, 2008

• FreeCloud profile photo FreeCloud
  • Reviews: 1138

Hotel Edda: Great idea

We stayed at this modern college student dorm turned-to summer time hotel for two nights. It seems a top tourist group place, many tourist buses parked behind the building.

The room was simple but very clean and comfortable.

It is only 10-15 minutes walk to Akureyri historic center, where many good restaurants and a pedestrain shopping area located.

• Written December 14, 2007

• travelfrosch profile photo travelfrosch
  • Reviews: 959

Gistiheimili Akureyrar: Centrally Located Guesthouse

UPDATE: Gistiheimili Akureyrar is now closed. It will supposedly open under new management in summer 2014.

Our guidebook said accommodation was wide open. However, one of our friends said that hotels could be quite tight in mid-June. We erred on the side of caution and reserved this guesthouse well in advance. As it turned out, many hotels had vacancies when we arrived. Score one for the guidebook.

The guesthouse itself is perfectly serviceable, with a fairly large room and included sink. Two bathrooms were on the floor for six rooms (two additional rooms on our floor had private facilities). For summer 2009, a double room with shared facilities costs Kr 8900, while a room with private facilities costs Kr 10,400.

A minor annoyance was the bed setup: two separate beds on opposite sides of the room. I guess couples don't travel much around here.

Breakfast is served on the top floor starting at 8AM. It was a fairly good buffet spread, but note it costs extra (The website now says it costs a hefty Kr 1250 per person).

One final note: if you're arriving after 8PM, you will need to check in and pick up your keys at Hotel Akureyrar, about 5 blocks south of the guesthouse at Hafnarstræti 67 (just past the bus station).

- Conveniently located in the center of town
- A 10-minute walk to the bus station
- A 35-minute walk to the Airport
- Buffet breakfast on the top floor (costs extra)

• Related to: Budget Travel, Hiking and Walking, Beaches
  • Written July 1, 2007

The Guesthouse

• sarahandgareth profile photo sarahandgareth
  • Reviews: 591

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Akureyri HI Hostel: As cheap as Akureyri gets!

As elsewhere in Iceland, accommodations are not cheap, so the HI hostel was our best budget option, and a step up from cold nights in the tent. Our room was huge, like a big hotel room, with fabulous windows, and the kitchens were pretty decent, generally well-stocked with utensils and cookware (a good thing; with restaurants so expensive, many guests cook for themselves, which is not always the case at hostels in cheaper locations). The owner/manager was very friendly, and we even got free Internet access when we were chatting with him.

On the negative side, the hostel did seem to have something of a problem with dampness, so much so that we spotted what appeared to be mushrooms growing behind one bathroom door! Also, our room happened to be below a large kitchen, and it did get pretty loud, especially as the hostel's quiet time didn't begin until midnight (much later than quiet time in other hostels we've stayed at).

• Written September 13, 2006

• TheSentinel profile photo TheSentinel
  • Reviews: 109

Hotel Harpa: Hotel Harpa

Stayed for one night in November 2005. Small clean rooms. ** hotel. Hotel was almost empty but even with discount it was 110 euros. I was the only person there for breakfast.

It's right in the centre next to the church so well located.

Located in the same building as the hotel KEA, and shares the same facilities while being slightly cheaper.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average