Haukadal, Selfoss, 801, Iceland

Upper bedroom with 2 bedsUpper bedroom with 2 beds

Doble bedroomDoble bedroom

Selfoss ChurchSelfoss Church

Selfoss areaSelfoss area

Things to do or see in Selfoss

by IcelandTourist

I'll be in Selfoss for a few weeks and I'm trying to make sure I see all of the spectular sights in this region. I've seen the waterfall, the volcano and been to the Blue Lagoon. What else should I see?

by Cristian_Uluru

There is Reykjavik Peninsula with Blue Lagoon, Krisuvik..., Pingvellir, Geysir, Gulfoss, Hekla Vulcano, Vestmannaeyjar and more. For more see my pages or other VT pages about this place! Have a nice journey!

by erensm

To the east, around Vik and Skogar are interesting sights like the waterfalls Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss, the black beach at Dyrholaey and the folk museum at Skogar.
If you like waterfalls there are more than Gullfoss. An almost unknown one is on the road to Hella. Just before the bridge crosses the river Thjorsa turn right (downstream) . After two km you will find a waterfall Urridafoss. Upstream in the river Thjorsa, south of mount Burfell, are the Thjofafoss and Trollkonufoss. North of mount Burfell is the small but beautiful Hjalparfoss and a little inlands, the second highest waterfall of Iceland, the Haifoss. Nearby Hjalparfoss a replica of a viking farm was built.
Around Hveragerdi are several hotspring area's. More hot springs are at the south west side of lake Thingvallavatn, at Nesjavellir. If you are interested in thermal energy, you can visit the nearby power station, (after making an appointement ).
And you can fly from Bakki (east of Hvolsvoller) to the Westman islands.

by dassi

If you have a day to spare I would say go all the way to this one : http://www.oraefi.is/jokulsarlon.htm
This is east along the south coast about 250-300 km
from selfoss on good roads and on the way you can look at Vik,Seljalandsfoss (waterfall) and Skogarfoss
(waterfall) and by skogar there is a interesting museum aswell.
If you need any mor info just ask and I will try to help.
Bragi

Travel Tips for Selfoss

Pervasive mist

by bzh

The bottom part of the fall produces quite a lot of water mist, that produces amazing light reflections. However, the mist can be extremely pervasive, even when you are quite far from the water so make sure all equipment that doesn't like water is properly covered.

Selfoss

by a5floor

09 September 2007

On the way to Selfoss I stopped several times to make pictures. At one point I was in Selfoss. I decided to drive through the city of Selfoss and go to the mountain Ingolfsfjall. This mountain is just outside of Selfoss. This is a huge mountain. First I drove on the back side of the mountain. Just made a small tour along this mountain. The mountain is really massive. At a certain point I went to the other side of the mountain. Up here there is a lookout point. Here you have a great view about the area. I was here for a while. Then I went back to Selfoss to have lunch. After a while I went driving again. Up to Stokkseyri. This is a village on the coast. When I was here, I parked the car. I walked to the lookout. You have a great view over the sea and along the coast of Iceland. I picked some sand from the small beach for a penpal of mine. When I was finished, I went driving again. Via Baugsstadir I went back to Selfoss. I went to the hotel to check in. After I put my bags in the room, I went outside. I walked a part along the river. There was a strong current in the river. I made a round to the Kjarninn Shopping Centre. When I walked in the Shopping Centre, all the shops were closed. I didn't think of the fact that it was Sunday. So, I walked into the Main Street. There wasn't much to see. So I decided to go back to the hotel.

10 September 2007

This morning I stood up at 7.30am. After breakfast I packed my bags and went driving to Hveragerdi.

Previous city: Hella, next city: Hveragerdi.

Seamandrew's Selfoss Page

by seamandrew

Unfortunately, I only spent a night in Selfoss as we were headed from Hofn in the east, to Ísafjörður in the western fjords. I can only share this one tip on accommodation as it is truly, the only part of Selfoss we saw. Perhaps on my return trip, I'll see more of the town itself.

SELFOSS

by shiran_d

"Selfoss"

SELFOSS

The town Selfoss started developing in 1891, when a suspension bridge was built across the most voluminous river in Iceland, Olfusa. This bridge collapsed in 1944 and a new one was constructed immediately. The community strengthened greatly in 1930, when the co-operative shop and the dairy were established. Selfoss, sometimes referred to as the capital of the South, received its municipal rights in 1978 and the inhabitants base their livelihood on services rendered to the agricultural surroundings, small industries, commerce and tourism.

Some salmon is caught downriver from the aforementioned bridge. All necessary services for tourists are available in Selfoss. Many people visit the town the whole year round

Route 1