AkurInn

Brekkugotu 27a , Akureyri, Iceland

Akurinn
Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

• It's clean, that's about it

On the positive side- the place is very clean and the bathroom floor in our private bath was toasty warm. From there this place has not much going for it. It may be fine for Icelanders who know their way a round and just want a place to stay, but it is not for tourists who have questions or who do not have cellphones.

We arrived in the pouring rain and had to wait outside a good while for the door to be answered, despite having given the owners a pretty good idea on our arrival time. There is no breakfast despite both the website and their brochure saying in was available for an extra fee.

We saw the host/person-in-charge/owner (who knows because she didn’t introduce herself) for a total of five minutes during the two and a half days we were there - long enough for her to take our money. She did show us where the free juice and coffee were. The TV in the guest lounge has one channel with static. There is no phone access - or if there was we weren't told about it. We had to hike downtown to ask at the information centre to book us a cab for our trip to the airport (which they graciously did - the staff is wonderful)

We were given no instructions on how to contact the host if we needed anything.

My companion wanted to take a glass to our room from the guest lounge for water from the tap and was at first told not to and then the host relented.

No indication was given of where we could find breakfast. We were given info on two restaurants that gave a 15% discount to guests of the inn - one was exceedingly expensive (Rub 23) the other (Greifanum) was a chain-style restaurant which had a North American style menu, prices were on the upper end of reasonable - the portions were huge - if that is what you were looking for. It is also several blocks in the opposite direction to downtown, not a place we'd go again. Excellent food and value for money at a place downtown called the Top Floor. They have fabulous staff.

We wouldn't go back to this guesthouse.

Unique Quality: Don't let the elegant exterior appearance of this house fool you. This place has no unique qualities.

Directions: east of down town

• Clean - that's about it

On the positive side - the place is very clean and the bathroom floor in our private bath was toasty warm. From there this place has not much going for it. It may be fine for Icelanders who know their way around and just want a place to stay, but it is not for tourists who have questions or who do not have cellphones.

We arrived in the pouring rain and had to wait outside a good while for the door to be answered, despite having given the owners a pretty good idea on our arrival time. There is no breakfast despite both the website and their brochure saying it was available for an extra fee.

We saw the host/person-in-charge/owner (who knows, because she didin't introduce herself) for a total of five minutes during the two and a half days we were there - long enough for her to take our money. She did show us where the juice and coffee (free) were. The TV in the guest lounge has one channel with static. There is no phone access - or if there was we weren't told about it. We had to hike downtown to ask at the information centre to book us a cab for our trip to the airport (which they graciously did - the staff is wonderful).

There is no indication of where you can find the hosts if you need them.

No indication was given of where we could find breakfast. We were given info on two restuarants that gave a 15% discount to guests of the inn - one was exceedinlgy expensive with avante gard food for lack of a better word; the other was a chain-style restaurant which had a North American style menu, prices were on the upper end of reasonable - the portions were huge -if that is what you were looking for. Much better food and value for money at a place downtown called the Top Floor. They also have fabulous staff.

Unique Quality: There are none.

• xuessium's Profile Photo

Akur Inn: A clean & orderly place to stay

I stumbled upon this then "new" (in that it is in new hands) guesthouse when I was trying to find lodging in Akureyri. I emailed in, thinking it was another establishment and was corrected by the new host Anna (I hope I got her name right! It has been a while....). I thought, what the heck, I will try the new place!

The lodging is about 10-15 minutes walk from the main street...which makes it just a tad harder on a cold windy chilly night. The business was only several months into operation so the place looked brand new. In fact, I popped in when the Mr. was shampooing the carpet! Very family orientated; very homely; the owners have 2 daughters whom you would likely bump into from time to time.

I had a small private room on the top floor with a small window that actually allowed me to see parts of Akureyri. There was no attached bathroom (all rooms have to share the toilets on both the 2nd and 3rd floor - the 2nd floor one is a standing shower while the 3rd floor toilet has a luxurious bathtub) There is no laundry service as well so you'll have to be inventive. The rooms are meticulously clean and orderly - credit to the owners! No TV in the rooms so find your own amusement. There is a common room on the 2nd floor with games and a TV, as well as vacuum flasks of hot tea and coffee. (Guests who paid for breakfasts will have breakfast here.) The kitchen is next to the common room.

Generally a very quiet place.

Unique Quality: Nothing outstandingly good nor bad except for the pristine cleanliness and orderliness of the place. The owners were friendly...though, the Mr. kept looking at me with curious eyes which was quite amusingly unamusing. The Mrs. thought I was Japanese!!

And oh, the Mrs gave me a nice discount for my 3 nights stay.

Directions: Walk 10-15 minutes up Brekkugotu. You'll walk past a community library. Look out for the house number - all the houses looked vaguely the same!

Comments