Akureyri Hotels

Our Members Say

• xuessium profile photo xuessium
  • Reviews: 1418

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Dalvik: Argeroi Guesthouse: Lovely place off Dalvik: Argeroi

It was a short 1 night stay here; I had planned to come to Dalvik to do some hikes into the countryside only to have 2 things spoilt my plans - a heavy thunderstorm rolled in and claimed most of the day and I caught a pesky flu bug from Husavik.

In the end, I was more or less confined to walks into the town of Dalvik (when the weather decided to let up a little) and around the guesthouse.

The building is stand alone, but if you advise your bus driver accordingly, they will drop you and pick you up just outside the guesthouse. Lovely place, with a river running past by the side of the building and some farms just behind, slightly up the hills. The owner Ari, and family were very friendly; very approachable and like most Icelanders, couldn't believe a Singaporean making this far from home!

I had a room on the basement level (The family lives on the 2nd floor). There was a TV in my room with satelite access to some Danish channels which were showing American TV shows. After almost a week without listening to English shows, it was a welcomed change!! There was a sink in the room but you have to make use of the common shower/bathroom, which was amazingly large and spacious!

I was the only paying guest that day. With the weather ravaging the country, I spent a good some time in the common room reading. Ari sensing my boredom, took me out berries-picking with his daughter and a visiting friend. This was one of my most memorable experiences; picking an abundance of crowberries and bilberries in the rain and then coming back to the warmth of the house, sitting in the kitchen, slurping all the berries goodness up with skyr! (Thanks for the memories!!)

The friendliness of the hosts for one.

The location the other. Once the rain had washed away the greyness of the previous day, the beauty of the location was spellbounding the next morning in the bright crispy sunshine. Blue skies, blue rivers, green countryside. Would have made a heck of a destination to do some serious hiking!

• Opinion of Price: about average