Guesthouse Milli Vina

Booking.com HostelBookers.com eDreams

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Borgarnes

One of 9 cairns in Borgarfjörður - by Borg.One of 9 cairns in Borgarfjörður - by Borg.

An drawing explaining how Skalla-Grímur was buriedAn drawing explaining how Skalla-Grímur was buried

The bridge leading to (and from) Borgarnes.The bridge leading to (and from) Borgarnes.

The town of Borgarnes and the church.The town of Borgarnes and the church.

Travel Tips for Borgarnes

Borgarnes - West-Iceland.

by Regina1965

"Borgarnes."

Borgarnes is a small town in west-Iceland 74 km away from Reykjavík through "Hvalfjarðargöngin" The Whale bay tunnel see my tip under my Iceland-page Hvalfjarðargöng with a population of ca 1930 people. It is a small town but has got "everything" so to speak, a lovely swimming pool, schools, hotels, guesthouses, a campsite, church, lots of shops, restaurants and cafés etc.

"Borgarnes."

In Borgarnes is The Settlement Center of Iceland with exhibitions and information on the settlement of Iceland and The Saga of Egill (Skallagrímsson). Borgarnes was the home of one of the most known settlers in Iceland, Skalla-Grímur Kveldúlfsson and his son Egill, who was raised at Borg in Mýrar, which is just outside of Borgarnes. See my tips on Skalla-Grímur Park, where the father of Egill is buried, and another tip on Brákeyjarsund strait, where Skalla-Grímur drowned his bond-maid in the strait by Borgarnes.

I am directly related to Skalla-Grímur Kveldúlfsson:

Skallagrímur Kveldúlfsson (863) Bera Yngvarsdóttir (870)

Egill Skallagrímsson 0910
My grandfather 1903 - 1977
My father 1942 - 2008
Regína 1965

"Borgarnes."

Borgarnes is by the ocean and when driving towards Borgarnes on ring-road 1 you have to drive on a long bridge to cross the bay.

Borgarnes

by a5floor

11 September 2007

From Hveragerdi I went driving to the direction of Borgarnes. When I was passing Reykjavik, I went to a picknick/parking place. From here there was a walking route to the top of the Pjerfessvalln (mountain). I walked up here just a little bit. There was a stream coming down the waling route. You will have a great view over the area. After an hour I was back at the car. I wen on driving. At a certain point you could go in a tunnel that goes under the Hvalfjordur. But I decided to take route 47. This route is going around the bay of Hvalfjordur. This route is about 61 kilometers long. This is really great to do. Great views on the bay. On the way I had lunch. When I came at the other side of the Hvalfjordur I went driving to Akranes. In Akranes I went to the beach first. Up there I took some sand for my penpal who collects it. Then I went to the lighthouse. Up here I had great views over the ocean. After that I went to the folk museum. The museum was interesting. Outside there were some fishingboats. When I finished up here, I went to Borgarnes. I arrived here around 4pm. I went to the hotel and checked in.

12 September 2007
This morning I stood up at 7.30am. After breakfast I went driving. I took route 54. I couldn't make too much pictures as it rained all day. At a certain moment I drove over the mountain Frodarheidi. Some parts were 10% or 12%. Which was a challenge to take as I never had done it. In Grundarfjordur I had lunch. During lunch I noticed that the food wasn't so good for my stomach. After lunch I went on driving. While driving my head and neck started to hurt. I took route 56 back. Once I was in the hotel, I relaxed for the afternoon.

13 September 2007

This morning I stood up and I was feeling sick. I threw up a few times this day. After breakfast I was buying some water and knäckebrot. The rest of the day I was relaxing as I was feeling bad.

14 September 2007

Today it was my birthday!! It is a bit weird to be a birthday-girl when you are on a holiday. But I stood up at 8am. After breakfast I packed my bags and I checked out. Once I had my stuff in the car, I was driving to Keflavik Airport. 5 kilometers before the airport I went to a parkingspot by a gas station/supermarket. For a few hours I was reading before I went to the airport. Inside the airport I waited for my parents to arrive. They arrived half an hour later as scheduled. First we went the rental car company to add my dad as a 2nd driver of the car. Once we had all our suitcases in the car, we went to Keflavik.

Previous city: Hveragerdi, next city: Keflavik.

For pictures about Akranes, please check my Akranes page

Borgarnes

by Jozzzef

"stock up town on route nr1"

I stayed on the campground and walked around the town. A bridge brings you to this little town an hour north of the capital while driving clockwise on route nr1. Some travel guides will try to show some enthousiasm but the collection of stores and petrol stations on the outskirts that you drive through really are the most interesting features of Borgarnes. They have a good tourist information office and a campground that is useable though. Both are right next to the stores.

Comments