North Iceland Hotels

Our Members Say

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gistihúsið Sunnuberg guesthouse: A lovely stay in Hofsós in North-Iceland

In June 2014 we stayed at Sunnuberg guest-house i Hofsós for one night, while Jón was entertaining at the annual Midsummer Night Festival in Hofsós.

Sunnuberg is a lovely little guest-house with 5 rooms and 9 beds, tastefully decorated and very clean. All the rooms are en-suite. There were 2 rooms occupied when we arrived and we were told we could choose between the 3 remaining rooms. We got a spacious lovely room with ocean view. Unfortunately it was foggy so we saw nothing, but the day after the sun started shining.

I went outside and into the garden behind the guest-house and there was a beautiful ocean view and Drangey bird cliff could be seen in the distance, which we had climbed the day before.

The price for one night for an en-suite room was ISK 14.500, which is relatively low for an en-suite room here in Iceland.

There was a sitting room for the guests opposite our room with a fridge and eating facilities.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written July 5, 2014

Sunnuberg guest-house.

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Ferðaþjónustan Dæli: Sleeping next to Kolugljúfur gorge

I recently travelled to the north of Iceland. I had seen a travel program about Kolugljúfur canyon in Víðidalur valley and wanted to see it with my own eyes. We were travelling in the evening and needed a place to stay for the night. I had heard good things about Dæli, which is part of the Icelandic Farm Holidays association. So I phoned ahead and I was in luck, they had a summer-cottage available for the night.

When we arrived at Dæli we looked for the summer-cottage. The lovely cottage is called Eyrin, 26 sq.m. with sleeping accommodation for 7 people, and there were only the 2 of us, so we had plenty of space and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. After having left our luggage in the summer-cottage we decided on driving to Kolugljúfur canyon, which was only a couple of km away from Dæli. It was almost midnight, but in June in Iceland the nights are bright, so that didn´t stop us.

We had a lovely stay there, the owners are very friendly people, who have run the travel services at Dæli since 1988. There are various types of accommodation at Dæli, both sleeping-bag accommodation in huts and more luxury accommodation. We chose the summer-cottage, as we wanted to be by ourselves, and the summer-cottage it is ever so lovely. Well, all of Dæli´s accommodation is lovely and tastefully furnished.

It is very popular for groups to stay at Dæli and family reunions are frequently held here as the facilities are excellent. You can even hire a party tent at Dæli. We Icelanders are big on family reunions, when our extended family members and relatives gather together from all over the country to spend a weekend together. There is also an excellent camping site at Dæli. So this is a perfect location for groups or individuals to stay for the night.

There is a restaurant, café and a bar at Dæli, called "Kaffi Sveitó" or the Provincial Café, where up to 100 people can dine. We had breakfast there before we continued on our journey north. The surroundings are excellent, I was actually surprised at what a beautiful place Dæli is. I have driven by Víðidalur on my way north for many years, without knowing about this lovely place. Now I will make sure to stay there again.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written June 26, 2014

The summer-cottage Eyrin.

• vaibhavshetty profile photo vaibhavshetty
  • Reviews: 5

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Blonduos Campsite

2nd night halt at Blonduos – Again I don’t remember the name of this particular camping site. It was a small bar and owner lived in the basement. The owner was an interesting old man who was kind enough to let us use his kitchen. The camping site was just besides a small lake. The sight was just so beautiful that we didn’t feel like going inside our tents. And how could we!!! It was midnight and it felt like sunset. The next morning the owner engaged us in an interesting activity. He has this hobby of collecting hand imprints from different countries. Luckily, Poland and India were missing from his collection. First traveler from India…ahh…that was a proud feeling.

Cost – 500 isk for each tent with shower/toilet facilities

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written July 12, 2013

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Fosshótel Laugar.: Sleeping in a hotel which is a school in winter.

I stayed at Fosshótel Laugar in June 2007. I hadn't started on VT back then so I have no pictures of inside the hotel. It belongs to a chain of hotels called Fosshotel (waterfall hotels) which runs hotels all around Iceland.

In winter time this hotel doubles as a boarding-school and the rooms are basic. I stayed in a room with a shower and WC and the interior is basic, clean and nice, but no luxury and I must say that the price is way too high for Icelandic hotels, that is why I prefer camping or staying in hostels or sleeping bag accommodation. We had our family reunion there with more than 100 peope attending so we only paid half price and I was satisfied with my stay.

The location is great, it is midway between Húsavík and Mývatn and Goðafoss waterfall is very close (see my tips on these places) and there is an excellent swimming pool there as well, do pay it a visit. It is located in a green valley, called Reykjadalur, with a lot of trees (rare for Iceland). There is a small restaurant and bar by the main road before you turn for the hotel.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written March 13, 2009
Tip Photo

Fossh��tel Laugar and the swimming pool.

Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful