"In the heart of the South"
I've lived in Hella nearly my entire life. It's a quiet and friendly little town with locals, just like me, who have lived here all their life and most of them are related to each other in one way or another. The village sits in an ideal location; by the peaceful and pretty river Rangá where you can fish for some of the country's best salmon and just outside town is a horse training field, a small airport, one of the country's best golf courses and the village hill has a spectacular view of the mountain circle, including volcano Hekla, the queen of Icelandic mountains as well as glaciers and other mountains.
"But what is there to do?"
Hella is a quiet little place. It's the perfect place just to sit back and relax, or use it as a base for further exploring; there are loads of opportunities in the vicinity!
In Hella itself, you can enjoy our hot water swimming pool for $4.50 US including two jacuzzis, one of them with massage, a small baby pool and sauna. Also you can enjoy the solarium there, at an extra cost. You can also go and play gold at "Strönd", the local golf course, go to one of the three restaurants serving food, cold beer and strong liquors. Hang out with the locals at the local pub, Kristján X, at weekends where most weekends there is live music. Also, do not miss the handicraft house by the river, which exhibits and sells local handicraft made by local women.
As Hella is very central in South Iceland, the part of Iceland where there are more sights and activities than anywhere else as it's the most densely populated (but yet not a lot, world standards) area, there are loads of things to do in the neighbourhood.
* Geysir - an area with the natural hotsprings and geysers
* Gullfoss - An immense, gorgeous waterfall
* Þingvellir - A national park, where the ground has been split open in various places, covered in lava and green fields, next to Iceland's second biggest lake.
* Landmannalaugar -
* Hekla - One of the world's most known and most active volcanoes. You can go up with a sort of a car/tank in winter or hike in summer
* Þórsmörk - A beautiful, forested national park under the glacier with endless hiking possibilities
* Seljalandsfoss - A tall waterfall where you can walk behind it
* Skógafoss - A big and gorgeous waterfall with a very nice folk museum, camp ground and a starting or ending point for the 4-5 day hiking trail to Landmannalaugar
* Vík - Beautiful black sand beach, peculiar rock formations in the sea and thousands of puffins and other birds.