Egilsborg Guesthouse

sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

Egilsborg Guesthouse

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on August 28, 2006

I think it's safe to say, especially when compared with the Orkin Guesthouse, that we didn't love the Eglisborg Guesthouse. Our room was neat and clean, but we shared one bathroom with an entire floor. Although the website advertises access to a kitchen, it is locked when the staff isn't around and we didn't feel welcome to use.

That said, the price was very reasonable and the location was good.

Unique Quality: The included breakfast was very good. Car rentals are available.

guesthouse with good location

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 11, 2006

Guesthouse Egilsborg is only about a 15 minute walk from the centre of Reykjavik, and lets be honest it isnt a huge place! We got around on foot for 4 days, excluding tours, etc.
The guesthouse is located in a strange area, it seems that it is an industrial area with factories and offices, but we didnt once see anyone enter or leave these places. It is very quiet. The hostel itself can gety quite noisy at night, with people coming and going as there is no curfew (good), couple that with the midnight sun and you might not sleep as well as you usually would. Myself though I can sleep anywhere anytime so it didnt bother me.
It is run by a couple. They offer car rental from the guesthouse, I think the price was 6000kr or there abouts for a day. Good if you know where you are going, otherwise stick to the tours.
Our room was very compact, we had 2 single beds and there must have been about a foot gap between the two! Other rooms were bigger though, especially the ones with doubles were more spacious. We shared a toilet and shower with the floor which was about 6 rooms. The house has 3 floors of accomodation by the way, the top floor being in the attic.
Breakfast (included in the price) was served from 8-10. It was your usual continental fare.
When we came to pay our bill, the hostel owners were out for the night and had left a portuguese guy in charge. Which was fine if you didnt want anything! He struggled to find a reciept (did i really want one? yes please after giving you around £240 in cash) and couldnt book us a taxi for our departure in the morning. I ended up booking it myself and it arrived thankfully.
I think this accomodation is for people who are used to hostels, because that is what it reminded me of. There were some families there so it appeals to everyone. But if you are in Reykavik for a few days and just want a cheap base to explore from, I would go for this. You will spend so much money elsewhere it makes sense to save on your bed. And the bed was fine! Price roughly £60 per room per night.

Directions: east of city centre

Nearby Egilsborg Guesthouse

2 Photos of Egilsborg Guesthouse

View Professional Photos

Reykjavík Travel Forum

Need advice about Reykjavík, Iceland? Visit the Travel Forum for Reykjavík and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Reykjavík hotel reviews