Fosshotel Sudurgata

Hotelsclick.com

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 2 star hotels

More about Reykjavík

The vegetable tempura.The vegetable tempura.

Árbæjarkirkja church.Árbæjarkirkja church.

Icelanders.Icelanders.

There is columnar basalt on the cliff.There is columnar basalt on the cliff.

Looking for a place to stay in Reykjavik!

by MLorenzo

Hello all,

I'm student from New York. I study industrial/furniture design and I am planning to stay in Iceland for two months (June and July 2011) while I complete a design internship. I am hoping to find a relatively cheap apartment to stay in while I am there. Does anyone know how I could go about finding one? I'm interested in perhaps sharing with a flatmate as well, to cut costs. Any information regarding this would be a huge help!

Thank you.

by Odinnthor

Well I am afraid that a cheap apartment in Reykjavik is an oxymoron. There is no such thing. I have one but it is occupied. It is relatively small three bedroom, and a student could not afford it, or a similar studio or one bedroom, - and it is rented to a resident, and is not on the tourist market, which is becoming very popular.

by Regina1965

Odinnthor has given you good links :) It is difficult to find a cheap apartment here especially during the summer months. But you can also try www.couchsurfing.org and look up Icelandic members. I know that one VT-member, Dassi, is an active member at Couchsurfing. Here is also another link http://www.husaleiga.is/english/ You can also send a request to ibud@leigulistinn.is, which is our most popular website for places to rent.

Good luck :)

by MLorenzo

Thank you both so much! These links have been very helpful. I think I might have found a reasonably priced room to rent!

Thanks again!

by Regina1965

Lovely :) Have a good time here!

by Odinnthor

(Highfives Regina..) Yeah, we be bad!

Have fun back home in my town........d:o)

Travel Tips for Reykjavík

Saving time by going to Blue Lagoon from airport

by jumpingnorman

I just got back from Blue Lagoon and it was so relaxing and very very nice. What I did was I had Reykjavik Excursions pick me up from the airport at 0630 AM when my plane arrived from NY, and the bus leaves from KEF at about 830 AM (Blue Lagoon is closer to airport than the city center) then the first bus that leaves Blue Lagoon is at 1115 AM and they dropped me off to my Reykjavik hotel which is about 40 minutes away. So since my hotel room would probably not be ready yet, it also saved time by me visiting Blue Lagoon immediately when I got in and relaxing my tired body after the plane travel! Your mother would love this…the water is so clean and naturally warm…The entrance to Blue Lagoon was already in my ticket. If you buy Blue Lagoon tickets, makes sure it is not transpo ONLY. The total for the airport pickup, Blue Lagoon Entrance and Drop-off on return to your hotel was US$77. But I did not bring a towel, and they charged ISK 680 for that (about ISK123 to US$1)…they only gave me a wrist key where I was able to put my big luggage in lockers at the first level and my clothes in the Men’s Locker.

The lockers do have hair dryers, but they do not provide slippers. They do have arm floaters before the entrance to the lagoon – so you can float on the waters…it is only about 4 feet deep all throughout in the spot available for the public.

Somebody watches over the people in the pool. But I noticed the Blue Lagoon stuff (lotions) were expensive. They do have the free silica dust for your face to get smoother in wooden boxes around the pool…make sure you dab this white pasty on your face for a few minutes (5-10)…my face still looks the same though, hehehe…

I spent about 2-3 hours there and it was adequate time to enjoy the pools and lava sauna and the waterfountain massage...Unless you go for the intensive spa where someone rubs your back and floats you with your eyes closed on the pool...so much pampering but worth it. They have been voted Best Spa consistently and is TOP TEN in the world according to Conde Nast....

And you can also have the Bus bring you to the Blue Lagoon hours before your flight and then just make sure to be in the airport in time for check-in for your flight Blue Lagoon

Staying in touch

by acemj

I didn't see too many internet cafes, but this one located right in the town center is a good one. Walk up the stairs to the first floor and you pay for the time that you'll need (300 Kr for 35 minutes, 500 for one hour) and will be given a sign on code. There are snacks and additional seating upstairs and the connection speeds were great.

Located at Vallarstraeti 4

Sex and that sort of thing

by emilienoelle

The Icelanders have a fairly liberal attitude towards sex. It seems that this has always been the case and is not just a modern attitude. The reason for this is explained generally as the fact that Anglo-Saxon puritanism never quite made its way over there due to its remote location. According to Richard Sale, a British travel writer, the Icelanders "view sex as a fun activity to be indulged in often rather than something to be done with the lights off".

This attitude is apparent in that condoms can be purchased just about anywhere, even from cab drivers. Many shops have an "adult" section which is seen as being quite normal. There are also several erotic nightclubs located among the usual shops and restaurants in the city.

The Museum of Phallogy is also located here which reportedly houses over 80 penises from more than 30 species of mammals. I did not go there, but I kind of like the fact that it exists.

Another intersting thing is that Iceland has the highest birthrate to single mothers in Europe. Having children out of wedlock is not stigmatized in this country, it is instead viewed as commonplace and normal. I read someplace that the explaination for this was that Iceland has a long history of single women raising children due to the fact that so many men were lost at sea on a regular basis. Whether or not this is true, I can say that I did see quite a few women with babies who appeared to be alone.

The Icelandic national costume.

by Regina1965

The historical data of the Icelandic national costume date back to the 16h century. There are 5 types of national costumes here for women; the bodice (upphlutur), "faldbúningur", "peysuföt", "skautbúningur" and kirtle (kyrtill). I think the "skautbúningur" is so beautiful, my mother got married to my father in such an a beautiful blue "skautbúningur".

Women wear these costumes only on special occasions, like the 17th of June which is our national holiday. My grandmother wore her national costume, the bodice, to weddings and major events in the family. And the older generation wore the costume much more often than we do. I have only worn the bodice once. I went to a business college called Verslunarskólinn and there we have a traditional day called "Peysufatadagurinn" or the traditional costume day where all the women students wear the traditional costume for a whole day. We go down-town and dance, go to dinner and to a ball, dressed all day long in the traditional costume. So if you are ever down-town Reykjavík and see a group (maybe 100 people or more) dressed in the traditional costume, then the group is from Verslunarskólinn.

The traditional costume for men is not that recognised, I guess men don't like that much to dress up, but there are two costumes, one called the farmer's costume and the other one was designed in 1994 (on the 50th birthday of the Icelandic republic) and is called regalia (hátíðarbúningur) and is very beautiful and fitting I think.

My 1. photo is of different national costumes: faldbúningur, upphlutur (bodice), peysuföt, upphlutur (bodice).
My 2. photo is taken on our Cultural night and the women are wearing the bodice and the men are wearing the regalia.
My 3. photo is of: upphlutur (bodice), skautbúningur and kyrtill (kirtle).
My 4. photo is of peysuföt.

Our relationship with the raven.

by Regina1965

We have a special relationship with the raven. We leave them alone and they leave us alone, until recently. One raven tried to attack people so they had to flee into their house. The raven stood on their porch and was ready to attack. The poor people had to call for help. Since then we are not quite sure what to think of the raven.

The raven here in Iceland is called "hrafn" or "krummi" and is dear to us Icelanders, as they are one of only few birds which don't leave the country in the Autumn. The raven is the biggest passerine, so it doesn't prey on other animals, but if we give meat or fat to them, the raven will eat that.

The raven has never been eaten here and the Vikings ate all poultry apart from birds of prey and the raven.

There are many Icelandic songs and tales on the raven. One if them comes from the old Norse belief, the religion of the Vikings. The main god in the old Norse belief, Óðinn, owns 2 ravens, Huginn and Muninn. Óðinn sends them every morning to fly all over the world and tells them to notice everything that is happening. They then return in the evenings and sit on Óðin's shoulders and tell heim about everything that is happening in the world.

The Viking who gave Iceland its name was called Hrafna-Flóki or Raven-Flóki and he owned 3 ravens, one of which showed him the way to Iceland.

Comments