Guesthouse Isafold

Hotels.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Reykjavík

Vikings.Vikings.

Different Icelandic national costumes.Different Icelandic national costumes.

Icelanders.Icelanders.

Laugardalslaug swimming pool.Laugardalslaug swimming pool.

Reykjavik Iceland hotel recommendation?

by MNBudgetTraveler

I am looking for something reasonably priced for 1 person and located close (1km, prefereably less) to the bars. Needs to provide bedsheets, I am not carrying a sleeping bag. Must have secure place to lock luggage = private room. Shared bathroom ok. Must have wireless Internet.

Any recommendations come to mind? Anything I should be aware of or know to request when making the reservation?

Thank you very much in advance!!!

MP.

by cathy9510usa

You might find this one interesting, even though it is not quite central. It's near the Botanical Garden

I have booked a single room with continental breakfast for 64 euros, with free wireless internet in every room.

Can't say anything about nearness of bars, as I've never been there before, but it does sound like a nice, affordable place.

by cathy9510usa

Correction to my previous reply---the 64 euros is for 2 nights, which makes this hotel eminently reasonable in price for any budget!

by Mr.Parker

Wow! you must be well connected, because you´re getting 50% discount !
And this hotel isn´t exactly next to the botanical garden.
It is located in a industrial/wholesalers/office area, and is a good value, but no lottery win.
MP

by cathy9510usa

I didn't say "next to" the Botanical Garden but "near", meaning in the general direction of the garden.

Maybe the rate I'm getting is off season rates. I'll be traveling the last week in September.

by Mr.Parker

Late September is ,,off season" but according to their price list, you´re still getting a HUGE discount.
32 Euros for the night, in a single with continental breakfast, thats a ,,give away", it´s like a cheap hostel.
For this price, location really doesn´t matter that much.
MP

by cathy9510usa

Yes, I was wondering about the price. All I can say is, my reservation clearly says 2 nights, followed by "Total 64 euros." Of course it's possible the Icelanders set things up differently, and they might mean that's the total per night. Or something like that.

I always like to stay away from the center of a city anyway, and see how the real citizens live, taking buses into town, etc.

by cathy9510usa

Update. I had just about decided that the room was indeed 64 euros per night, but then I went into my files for the trip and dug out the email I received. I have no idea why, but the manifest does specify 32 euros per night. This IS an amazing deal, and I'll gladly stay outside the center to get these rates.

Incidentally, I also understand the tour buses do come and pick you up at your hotel, and this hotel is specified as one included in this service.

Wow.

Travel Tips for Reykjavík

Corrugated Steel Buildings

by emilienoelle

Because there are basically no trees in Iceland and importing building materials is expensive, many buildings are made of corrugated steel which is then painted bright colors. These buildings look great and are unique to Iceland as far as I know. They give the city a very individual look. I liked them so much in fact I started to wonder how I could reside my house with the stuff. It lasts forever!

Icelandic Names

by Jmill42

One of the coolest things I learned while in Iceland was how people go about traditionally naming their children. If dad is named Bob Ericsson and has a kid named Jim, his name would be Jim Bobsson. And if the had a daughter Jill, then her name would be Jill Bobsdottir. Pretty damn cool, but difficult at family reunions, I would bet. The best place to really let this set in is in the Old Graveyard on Sudurgata.

Metal Lives!

by emilienoelle

So you think heavy metal is dead? Not in Iceland it isn't! (Or in the rest of Scandinavia for that matter) Everywhere you go in Reykjavik you run into guys with hair down to their butts wearing Iron Maiden t-shirts, the likes of which I haven't seen since early 1992. Dig out your old Motorhead T's when you visit if you want to blend in with the locals!

Þorramatur - The old Icelandic food.

by Regina1965

The period we call "Þorrinn" starts in the 4th month/thirteenth week of winter. Then it is a tradition to eat the food our ancestors, who didn't have a refrigerator, had prepared for the winter. "Þorramatur", the food, consists of singed sheep-heads, sheep-head-jelly, smoked lamb, blood-pudding and liver-pudding (like haggis), various soured meat, made sour in whey, like ram-testicles, breast-of-lamb, and seal-flippers. Then we have dried-fish, rotten shark, and beaked whale, cooked rye bread and rye pancakes.

The younger generation usually only eats dried-fish, rye pancakes, rye bread and smoked lamb out of the whole selection of Þorramatur, but there are exceptions to that (when I was a little girl I loved rotten shark).

"Þorramatur" is an aquired taste, so if ever you are visiting Iceland at this time of year, end of January-beginning of February, and somebody asks you to "Þorrablót", i.e. when we gather together and eat "þorramatur" or you go to a restaurant and want to try "þorramatur", you are hereby warned what you are getting yourself into ;)

But if you are up for trying something "new" here are the names in Icelandic and English:

Svið=singed sheep-heads
Hrefna=beaked whale
Flatkökur=rye pancakes
Seytt rúgbrauð=cooked rye bread
Harðfiskur=dried fish
Ýmis súrmatur=various soured meat.

Warm clothes!!!

by acemj

Don't forget to bring warm clothes any time of the year here. Layering is the best way to go, but you don't want to be stuck buying your clothes here as the prices are extremely high.

Also, if you're planning on going out at night, I'd bring some nice clothes since the locals tend to dress up for the nightspots.

Comments