Hilton Reykjavik Nordica

Tags

Road Trip Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Business Travel
See Amenities
jojes's Profile Photo

Great hotel - thanks Icelandair!

by written on January 23, 2015

Why do I say 'thanks Icelandair' ... ?
Well, our 1 night stay in this hotel was paid for by Icelandair! On our way from Amsterdam to Edmonton our flight from Amsterdam to Reykjavik was delayed, so we missed our connection to Edmonton ...
Upon arriving in Reykjavik, everything was already arranged for us to stay at the Hilton Nordica in Reykjavik.
The Flybus dropped us off at the hotel, where rooms were appointed to every stranded passenger.
The lady at the Icelandair desk at the airport booked 2 rooms for us. But since we were travelling with our 2 kids (aged 6 and 8) we asked for a family room ... There were none available anymore, so we were given 2 rooms in seperate corridors on the same floor. Since this didn't work out too well for us luggage-wise, we decided on only using one room and snuggling up to eachother on the available beds (which were large enough to do this seeing it was only for one night).

The rooms were large and comfortable, the bathrooms equally so. High-quality products available in the bathroom.
There were darkening curtains to block the late daylight, so no problems with the midnight sun when trying to sleep.
The room featured in my pictures is actually the smaller room of the 2 we got. The one we eventually used was bigger with a bigger bathroom. But with all of our things lying around it didn't make for nice picture anymore ;-).
What I loved about the rooms was the fact that there is a wooden floor ... So no dusty carpets ...!

The VOX restaurant is great! Breakfast was included of course. Icelandair offered additional coupons for dinner and lunch.
Dinner was a set menu. To be completely honest, this meal was a bit disappointing. We got chicken with some kind of sauce, which was quite spicy. I can't say it was entirely to my taste, but I didn't dislike it either. But it was way too spicy for the kids - and there was no alternative for the kids, so they only ate away the 'sides' of the meat where there was no sauce. Good thing we were provided with lots of the lovely dark bread and tasty butter. But as we were a quite large number of rather unexpected guests, I think we can't complain about the service we got.

Breakfast was incredible! Lots and lots of choices ... Buns, different kinds of bread, hot buffet, cold buffet, fresh fruit, ... Can't think of anything I would have liked but wasn't there.

Lunch was equally good. Buffet style again, cold and hot dishes, extensive dessert buffet ... All to eat as much as you liked.

There hotel is not in the city centre, but the hotel offers every guest a card which entitles you to free public transportation in the area. We used this card to pay a quick re-visit to the Perlan on the morning we were there (arrived late afternoon and left again early afternoon on the next day).

Unique Quality: The restaurant certainly deserves the title of being one of the best restaurants in Iceland.

jumpingnorman's Profile Photo

You can see YOKO ONO's Imagine light in winter!

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 12, 2009

I am now staying in this Hilton hotel which was part of the package tour that I booked with Icelandair. The hotel is famous for being a business hotel, but unfortunately you still have to pay for the wireless internet per hour (can be per hour, less than US$10). There are 2 computers at the side of the front desk for guests.

It’s a wonderful clean hotel, very business-like in approach but not really close to the city center. They do have complimentary shuttle service but it is scheduled only twice in the morning and then early evening times– so I did not even get to use those. I just walked about 25 minutes to the city shopping center --- a good exercise, but it’s always tiring coming back when I am carrying stuff that I had bought. However, it is close to the Laugardalur acivity park which has the best swimming pools with botanical gardens and an animal zoo.

During the winter, you can also see from the Hilton the tallest monument on earth – the enormous tower of light by Yoko Ono in memory of John Lennon and the words engraved on its pedestal “Imagine peace” in 25 languages! Unfortunately, I was in Iceland during summer (which I prefer anyway).

But they gave me a room whose veiw is not towards the harbour, so maybe ask a room facing the front of the hotel.

All the rooms have wooden floors (this is a luxury in a country with few trees) and very practical bathrooms. The beds are a bit hard but comfy and the curtains thick to shut out the brightness from the midnight sun.
The front desk people were very helpful and they have a tourist space where you can book your activities (but cheaper and more convenient if you do online IMO).

The best part is the VOX restaurant which has an absolutely great breakfast buffet (starts at 7 AM but you can have early-bird breakfast at 4AM- which I will be doing today because I have an early flight to Northern Iceland next…)

Nice business hotel, but quite far from city center and it would be nicer to stay in the many guesthouses in the city center if you do not want to shuttle back and forth. But for luxury comfort and class, stay at the Hilton.

Unique Quality: VOX restaurant, considered one of best restaurants in Iceland

a5floor's Profile Photo

Nordica Hotel

by written on September 30, 2007

Icelandair has a few hotels in Iceland they own. The Nordica Hotel is one of them. It is about 15 minutes walk from the city centre. The hotel is a decent and good. The staff is really helpfull to you. The rooms are comfertable. For all of this you are paying for it.

When I was staying at the Nordica Hotel, the price for a single room was ISK 21300 (included breakfast). I had a single deluxe.

Unique Quality: It is clean, the staff is really helpfull and good service.

robbieuk's Profile Photo

Best views

by written on May 6, 2006

Excellent place to stay for an upscale mini-break.

Unique Quality: Make sure your room is an executrive room as this allows access to the Panormaa Lounge on the eighth floor - the views from there are magnificent: snowcapped mountains, the bay and the city. Also, there is a relaxing spa - you get a free head massage once a day!

Directions: A 6 minute cab ride from downtown.

Nearby Hilton Reykjavik Nordica

• Spa
  • Suites
  • Bar / Lounge

Reykjavík Travel Forum

Need advice about Reykjavík, Iceland? Visit the Travel Forum for Reykjavík and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Reykjavík hotel reviews

National Museum of Iceland
Churches
Harbor
Things to Do
The Government House - Stjórnarráð Íslands.
Things to Do
The old prison in the city center.
Things to Do
Safnahúsið - The Culture house - reopened 2015.
Things to Do
The National Museum of Iceland - Þjóðminjasafnið.
Things to Do
The Einar Jonsson Museum - Listasafn Einars Jónss.
Things to Do
The Culture House reopened and changed (new tip)
Perlan - the Pearl - the view-dials
Things to Do
Phones and mobiles in Iceland.
Things to Do
Perlan - the panoramic platform at the top.
Things to Do
The Parliament Building - Alþingishúsið.
Things to Do
Mæðragarðurinn - The Park of the Mothers.
Things to Do
New architecture vs. old architecture.
Bláa Lónið (Blue Lagoon)
Things to Do
Street art: Superb murals by Guido van Helten.
Coffee and Soup
Althingi (Parliament)
Haunted Walk
Things to Do
A fun upscale hamburger place
More Icelandic Food
National Museum
Blue Lagoon
Café with relaxed atmosphere
The statue of Ólafur Thors, Prime Minister
Perlufestin "The String of Pearls" sculpture park
Things to Do
Ráðherrabústaður - where the ministers entertain.
Things to Do
Mexican restaurant serving whale steaks
Another Irish Pub
Restaurants
Reykjavik Art Museum (Kjarvalsstaðir)
Leif Eriksson Monument
Credit and bank cards / Icelandic Banks
Favorites
Irish Pub
Restaurants
Your chance to try traditional food
Restaurants
Hallgrímskirkja - church - Reykjavík's landmark.
Things to Do
The Chapel of Holy Barbara.
Off The Beaten Path