Skolastraeti 1, Reykjavi­k, 101, Iceland
Expedia.com Booking.com eDreams

More about Reykjavík

Fálkahúsið - The Falcon house.Fálkahúsið - The Falcon house.

The Icelandic raven.The Icelandic raven.

The Icelandic notes.The Icelandic notes.

The stream on the hike.The stream on the hike.

Tours and food

by darrensunley

Hi,

I'm due to come to Reykjavik next week for the weekend and I have a few questions that I'd be grateful if someone could help me with please...

1) - I've seen that there are a number of companies doing the Golden Circle tour. Can anyone recommend a particular company over the others?? My obvious decision is going to be based somewhat on price once I arrive there, but I would actually be happier to pay not-the-cheapest option if one company's tour was better than the others.

2) - As we arrive late on Thursday and leave early evening on Sunday, then the only 2 full days I have are Friday and Saturday. The plan was going to be to take a look around Reykjavik on Friday and book the tour for Saturday - but I just wondered if the tours run everyday ?? And also if anyone can think of a reason to swap the activities around so that the tour is on the Friday instead ??

3) - As we've heard lots of scare stories about just how expensive Iceland is, then I was going to bring a snack for during the day on the Friday and just have a meal out in town on the evening. Can anyone tell me if there are any rules about bringing your own food into Iceland (i.e. like Australian customs for instance) ??

4) - Finally, can anyone recommend a good restaurant to eat in Reykjavik in order to maybe try some "local" food (but that does other stuff too - as my parents are much fussier eaters !!) ?? Also, what sort of price is an average beer in a pub in Reykjavik ??

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies...

Darren

Re: Tours and food

by gordonilla

Food: I visited Iceland in March this year, and found it reasonably priced for food and eating out. Although I do live in Greater London which is quite expensive anyway, the prices in Iceland did not scare me and if anything surpised me. If you buy a Reykjavik card several good restaurants are listed and you can get 10% or so discount on the food (not the drinks though).

Travel Tips for Reykjavík

Baggage Storage at BSI Coach Terminal (BUS)

by jumpingnorman

After arriving at Keflavik International Airport and you just want a short visit to the city center, you will probably ride the Fly Bus and then you might want to store your luggage somewhere…
don’t fret!

There is Baggage Storage available at the BSI Coach terminal where you will be dropped off. The BSI is at Vatnsmyrarvegur 10 and you can call them at 591-1000 but they are open only from 0730 to 1900. If I were young and backpacking and in Iceland overnight during the bright nights of summer, I would consider leaving my bags there and still go out and explore the city center before my flight the next day…

The Icelandic Language

by emilienoelle

The first time I saw anything written in Icelandic was a few years ago when I stumbled onto the Icelandic version of Iceland Air's website. To be honest, at first it looked to me like something that one would find scratched on the inside wall of cave rather than something that is read and spoken in the 21st century. And it is true that Icelandic is an ancient language. Unlike the languages of the other Scandinavian countries which remsemble German and each other much more than they do anything else, Icelandic has evolved directly from the ancient language of the vikings due to the country's isolated location. The language contains letters which are not found in any other language which are supposedly evolved from viking runes.

Because virtually no one who is not a native Icelander can read or understand Icelandic almost all Icelanders speak both English and Danish. Signs and menus are all multilingual and most bookstores sell books in both Icelandic and English.

However, I did find it useful to know a few words in Icelandic. Here they are:

gódan dag = good morning
kannski = maybe
bless = goodbye

Icelandic surnames.

by Regina1965

Icelandic surnames are a bit confusing for foreigners as our surname derives from our father's first name plus "-son" (son) and "-dóttir" (daughter). F.ex. my father's name is Ragnar and thus my surname is Ragnarsdóttir (daughter of Ragnar) and my brother's surname is Ragnarsson (son of Ragnar). So in my family only my sister and I have the same surname.

When we Icelandic women get married we keep our surname, so my name will always be Ragnarsdóttir. But when foreign women get married to Icelandic men it becomes a little confusing as they often change their maiden name to their husband´s surname, and are thus called f.ex. Ragnarsson (son of Ragnar)!! Married couple not having the same surname, and their children not having the same surname as their father and mother, used to cause confusion abroad and I remember my Uncle telling me that when he went abroad once, many years ago, with his wife the hotel reception didn't want to give them the same room as they didn't have the same surname ;)

This is the most common custom, but there are some variations to this, you can f.ex. get your mother's name if the mother is a single parent, my son would then be called Regínuson ;) There are also some family names in Iceland, my mother's family name is Thomsen, as her great-grandfather was Danish. But she had to be Christened by this name or else she would have been Pétursdóttir as her father's name was Pétur Thomsen.

So when looking up an Icelandic person in the phone-directory you look them up by their first name.

17th of June - Our National holiday.

by Regina1965

We have been celebrating our National holiday since 1874 when it was first held on the 1000 year anniversary of settlement here in Iceland and the arrival of our Danish King Christian the 9th to Iceland with our constitution.

If you visit Reykjavík on the 17th of June don't miss the festival down-town which starts at 10 and goes on until 23 in the evening. 17th of June is the birthday of Jón Sigurðsson (1811-1879) which we call Jón forseti (president), but he was the president of the Parliament and played a key-role in Iceland becoming a republic in 1944. Before that we were under the reign of the Danish monarchy, although we got our sovereignty in 1918.

The program starts at 10 when the president of the city council lays a wreath on the grave of Jón Sigurðsson and at 10:40 the formal program starts on Austurvöllur by the statue of Jón Sigurðsson where the President of Iceland makes a speach, followed by a speach by the Prime minister and "The woman of the mountains" Fjallkonan.
The program for the kids is at 13-17 in Hljómskálagarður by the south-end of Tjörnin (the pond) and in Hallargarður. The parade starts from Hlemmur at 13:40 and goes to Ingólfstorg. There are concerts on Arnarhóll, Lækjargata and on Ingólfstorg and dancing in all those places and festivities all over this part of the city center. This is not an event to be missed. I add more pictures in a travelogue here.

Viðey

by travelfrosch

An interesting half-day trip is a boat ride to the small island of Viðey in Reykjavík Harbor. A ferry departs hourly from Sundahöfn Harbor, about a 15-minute bus ride or 90-minute walk from town. Cost of the ferry is Kr 800 for a round trip. One direct ferry per day departs Reykjavík Old Harbor for the island at 12:00. In addition, the 15:30 departure from Viðey goes to the Old Harbor.

Once on the island, you can enjoy lunch at the Viðeyjarstofa. You can also walk around the island to enjoy spectacular views of the harbor and downtown Reykjavík.

Comments