Borgartuni 32, Reykjavi­k, 105, Iceland

Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Costs 44% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

• bip_231's Profile Photo

Great hotel for the price, location excellent!

We booked the Hotel Cabin for our 5 night stay in Iceland, and we were not disappointed. Although the rooms are small, the price that you pay and the location of the hotel make it all worth it. We were given a twin room on the 4th floor, so the views were great. The bathroom is a bit on the small side (not much room to swing a cat!) but again, who goes on a break/holiday to spend all their time in the hotel room?

The location of the hotel is excellent. There are bus stops located right outside the hotel if you'd prefer to take the bus, but the hotel is only about a 10-15 minute walk from the city centre; one of the ways you can walk into town is along the waterfront, which offers fantastic views across the bay. The large shopping centre (Kringlan) is not too far away either, meaning that there are plenty of amenties nearby.

Food at the hotel was good, although I'd recommend that you give the evening buffet (not included in hotel stay) a miss. I think it was about 1750ISK per person, but there was not an awful lot to choose from except soup and salad. Breakfast was good though, with a good choice.

The staff in the hotel were always friendly and pleasant, and couldn't help enough if we needed some information about the local area. We'd stay again in the Hotel Cabin, and we certainly weren't put off by the small rooms!

Unique Quality: Great views, and excellent location.

• aqazi's Profile Photo

Not bad for the Kroner

So I orginally booked two nights here but was sent over to the Bjork Hotel for the first night becasue they were overbooked. The lady at the reception was really nice about it all and there was no pressure to move. She even upgraded my room to the the superior room and gave me a free dinner when I returned for my second nights stay 2 days later. The Superior room was fine, it had a TV and some soaps etc in the bathroom. These rooms are apparently larger than the regular ones so I'm not sure what they are like but I imagine they might be a bit cloustrphobic for larger people. At 29 euros this hotel for two people is probably the same price as a youth hostel. You also get free breakfast and free parking. Its about a 20mins walk into town but its a nice walk during the day along the habour. There's a subway opposite and a supermarket 100m away so finding food is easy if you don't want to walk into town. The Dinners and BReakfast were OK but nothing special. If you're on a budget they probably make sense but if you're a picky eater they only have a single choie of hot entre.

All in all I would stay here again, I thought it was great value for money in a city where they price tags bares no relation to the item you are buying. Oh, also if you a budget type traveller, remember to stock up on booze at the duty free store as you exit the airport!

• Inexpensive and simple

I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights during a stopover. The staff were quite helpful and aided me in getting a reservation with Grey Lines. The breakfast was a relatively simple buffet, but was filling and came with the price of the room.

My room was quite small, two twin beds with maybe 2 feet between the beds. Very little space to store more than a basic suitcase or two. In order to move around easily, I place my suitcase on the other bed.

I had an interior room, which can be beneficial during the long hours of daylight during the summer, however, I was surprised to see that the back wall consisted of a large window facing the other hallway. In order to maintain privacy, I couldn't leave the curtain open.

The bathroom was also small and included an enclosed shower. Plenty of hot water was available.

The room was clean and for a basic place to stay it suited my purpose.

If you plan to stay in your hotel for extended period of times, the small size of the rooms would probably not be suitable.

Unique Quality: You can get some nice views of the bay if you have an outside room facing the front of the hotel. The rear view isn't really that great. Also, I could go down the hall to the staircase outside and get some great views.

A small convience store/subway/ice cream shop was located just across the street. Very useful for picking up soda and small snacks or a quick lunch.

The hotel is about a kilometer (and probably even closer) to the bay.

• Redang's Profile Photo

Hótel Cabin

This hotel is good and nice, but I had a "strange" experience. When I arrived in Reykjavík (I had booked the hotel in advance), they gave me a good and spacious room. After visiting the island, I came back to the same hotel (I also had the reservation), but on that occasion they gave me a tiny and narrow, very narrow room, like the cabin of a boat. So, I have good and bad opinions about the rooms; in any case, clean hotel with a spacious lobby.

Unique Quality: Price I really paid: Twin room, B&B: 10.200 ISK (August '08); the hotel has a free parking in the complex.

- 1 ISK = 0,008251 €
    - 1 ISK = 0,01213 $

Directions: It's not in the centre of the city, but it's a nice walk of about 20-25 minutes along the waterfront where you can find some attractions such as the Sun Voyager (Viking ship) and Höfði (have a look at the Things to Do section).

More about Hotel Cabin

hotel Cabin Iceland

by TripAdvisor Member patiliverpool

hotel cabin good value room really small but clean. Good continental breakfast. Close to sea front and oposite a subway sandwich bar handy as food is expensive as is everything else in Iceland. Dont be put off well worth a visit I would like to go again

Where to stay in Reykjavik

by datapanik about Hotel Cabin

Hotel Cabin is a modern, functional kind of place which came as part of our Icelandair package. On the plus side the rooms are clean and tidy, breakfast is certainly more than adequate and there is an excellent view of the bay if you bag one of the front-facing rooms. On the other hand, the clue is probably in the name: the rooms are a little on the small side or compact to put it kindly. Also you may be allocated a room with a corridor view which isn’t ideal. Other than room size though, this is probably quite a good budget hotel choice for Reykjavik. It is a good 15 minutes walk from the centre in a quiet area which means you get a good night’s sleep. Reception staff were very helpful with providing information and booking trips and airport transfers. Hotel Cabin's best features are the views of the bay from the front and its quiet location.

Cheap Hotel/larger room

by dooleygeo about Guesthouse Borgartun

We stayed at the Hotel Cabin for two of the three nights we were in Reykjavik and had to spend our third night elsewhere. We were able to go around the corner to the Guesthouse Borgartun and to our surprise and delight, the room was larger, the breakfast buffet was better, it was cheaper and the water was hotter. As it turns out, I was getting a bad cold and felt miserable on our second and third days in Iceland. The innkeeper at the Guesthouse Borgartun let us keep our room well past checkout since we didn't have to be at the airport until late afternoon. Extremely friendly innkeeper. Free internet access on their computer.

I stayed at the Cabin Hotel,...

by DanielF

I stayed at the Cabin Hotel, but I don't recommend it at all. It was awful: not very centrally located, tiny, charmles rooms and very bad breakfast buffet. As far as I know, there are much better options, but nothing really that can be considered top class.

As good as it gets

by TripAdvisor Member JanDhondt

As my first stay, in 2005, really was a succes I stayed for the second time at hotel Cabin In December 2006 . The rooms are very cosy and quiet, the staff is excellent and the food has a perfect quality-price combination. I had lots off other experiences in Reykjavik and around the island but Hotel Cabin was really the best for the budget-traveller I am. After booking for the second time I contacted the hotel in order to stay at the same room as the year before and they forfilled my wishes: 5-th floor at the frontside with a nice view on the sea and mount Esja. I barely can wait to book my third relaxing stay.
Jan Dhondt
Belgium

Hotel Cabin in ReykjavikHotel Cabin in Reykjavik

Northern Lights

by joshsimca

Is Iceland a good place to see the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)?

Is this possible / likely in September?

What's the weather like in September?

Any advice on good hotels with swimming pools in or near Reykjavik?

by mplessers

Hi,

Iceland is not the best place, but it is possible to see Northern Lights.
We've seen it in Skaftafell (South Iceland) around midnight. Some of our travel group saw a more colorfull one at 3AM in the morning. This was during the second half of august. So in september it must be dark sooner and you should have more chances to see one.

I don't know if you can have a good view in Reykjavik (Light pollution?).

Wheater can be anything. Summerseanon (touristic) ends between begining and half september, lot's of timetable change to wintershedule.

No advice on hotels, we had our tents with us :-)

Regards,
Mark

by dassi

Hi there .
I think there is only one hotel with a swimming pool in Reykjavik and it is a little bit out of the way but the pools around the city are great so I might be able to get you good discount with those hotels https://secure.reykjavikhotels.is/reykjavikhotels/booking/en/
and it is easy to get to the swiming pools. The northern lights are like I always say a lottery but often seen tho and in Reykjavik you can see it but better where there are not so many city lights. And you should be able to see it in september but the colder and clearer it is the better.
Greetings
Bragi

by Viking_Girl

No you won't see any northern lights in September. Only in winter, November-march. The weather will be about 10 degrees celsius in Sept and it will rain maybe about 1/3 of the time.

by Viking_Girl

O sorry forgot to tell you about the hotels... Reykjavik has a bunch of nice public swimming pools the hotels don't usually have them, I can't think of even one hotel pool in Reykjavik. Nordica hotel, Lykil Hotel Cabin and Grand hotel are close to Laugardalslaug swimming pool. Radisson Sas-Hotel Saga is close to Vesturbaejarlaug swimming pool. I'm talking about maybe a 3-5 minute walk. The public swimming pools are really great, especially laugardalslaug swimming pool. You have to visit them at least once while there.

by dassi

There is one hotel with a pol inside it and that is this one http://icelandairhotels.is/hotel.asp?hotelId=6&CatID=17
Like said before in here the best is to go to the outdoor pools.
Greetings