Laugavegur, Reykjavik, 101, Iceland

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Costs 21% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• DaShast's Profile Photo

Location - Smack in the center of it all

Hotel Fron is right in the heart of Reykjavik on Laugavegur. Surrounded by cool resturants (Vor is right next door), great bars (Sirkus is sort of across the street down an alley), fancy shops, you're within walking distance of nearly everything. The family that runs Hotel Fron were kind and attentive - they let me check out after their 11am deadline so that I could make a last run through of all the museums. I travelled solo and stayed in a single room on the 2nd floor facing the back courtyard. The room was tiny but comfortable - really, who's going to hang out in their hotel room when they're in Iceland??? The hotel also has apartments with kitchens, but I didn't stay in one of these. The decor of the hotel lobby and rooms was cool Scandanavian-minimalistic chic, with black narrow tiles in the bathroom and a raised glass shower. An awesome hotel - I wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Unique Quality: Location, location, location.

Directions: On Laugavegur near where Klapparstigur intersects.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Great choice

I asked for a good rate via email (Edmund was the guy I was emailing) and was able to negotiate the price down just a tad from 7400 Kr to 7000 Kr per night for four nights in the off-season. I doubt you'll be able to get much cheaper for a comparable room in the center of Reykjavik. That's still much more than I'm used to spending on lodging, but hey, this is Reykjavik, so that's not too bad.

Overall, I was very pleased with the cleanliness, service, knowledge of the staff, the location, and the comfort of the room. Check out the website for more pictures and for the email address. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone considering staying in Reykjavic. Having a kitchenette in the room would be a big bonus for a group traveling here to do some weekend partying, so keep Hotel Fron in mind.

Directions: Laugavegur & Klapparstigur

More about Hotel Fron

by TripAdvisor Member 2202deb

Stayed at the hotel fron for 5 nights over Easter weekend. Location great, right on the main shopping/eating/drinking street. room clean and modern, new bathroom, mini bar fridge, very comfortable beds.

we were at the back of the hotel so it was quiet, I have heard on other reviews that if you are at the front of the hotel there can be noise from the street.

For the price in reykjavik you wont get any better, we were really pleased with it.

We chose hotel Fron as it had...

by jarto

We chose hotel Fron as it had a kitchen in the room. Reykjavik is pretty expensive so we saved quite a lot by preparing some meals ourselves. The hotel is located at the main shopping street.

Loved the Hotel Fron

by TripAdvisor Member phillycharlie

We had booked 5 nights at the Hotel Fron. I had contacted the hotel directly and dealt with Edmund. He was fantastic. He was very prompt in replying to all the emails I had sent. I had no fears about the place after dealing with Edmund.

We stayed in a 1-bedroom studio. It was the perfect amount of space for the two of us. The bathroom as huge and having the seating area and kitchen was a nice addition. Everything was great with the room, but if I could make a suggestion, get some light-blocking windowshades. When you are there when it's daylight forever, blocking out the sun would have been nice.

You cannot beat this hotel for location. You are right in the middle of all the action, and you are very short walk to City Centre down the small hill. We had no problems with any noise coming from the street.

Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was one less thing we had to worry about on the trip.

Many thanks to Edmund and the staff at Hotel Fron that made our trip so enjoyable!

Chuck Riscavage

in the centre of things

by margaretvn about Fron Hotel

We spent our last two nights in Reykjavik and our hotel was right in the centre.
Our itinerary said "studio appartment" it was a large studio with a double bed, a kitchen area which was well equipped, an eating area and shower and toilet. Warm clean and well equipped and certainly right inthe centre of town. The hotel is central so exploring Reykavik was easy. What was not so easy was parking our hire car. there is only a tiny little area to park by the hotel and if someone blocks you in then you could have problems. We ended up parking three streets and several blocks away from the hotel - luckily we did not have much luggage. The area closer to the hotel is paid parking and was always full while we were there. Breakfast was included in our trip but is usually not included in the price of the studio - it can be booked the day before if you want to. The brakfast area is small especially if you time brakfast just as a group is there! The other problem(?) is noise, the hotle is on the main shopping street and there are lots of restaurants and night clubs there so we were treated to a very noisy and long friday night. The noise was still going on at about 2 a.m when I finally fell asleep but then I had to get up at 4.am for our flight home. If you want to cook there is a supermarket about 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Great Location and Price

Wonderful week-long trip to Iceland. Overall Iceland is very expensive as most things need to be imported. Even the hotels are pricey. But, we found a nice hotel for moderate price with Hotel Fron. It's right on the main shopping street in downtown Reykjavik and you can walk just about anywhere. The location is ideal. Rooms were very clean and modern. Not huge, but spacious enough! Very satisfied with hotel. Was able to spend my vacation money on sightseeing rather than a very expensive hotel...

Great Time In Iceland

by TripAdvisor Member MomsABeachBum

My children ( ages 9 and 12) and I just returned from Iceland. We stayed two days as part of Icelandic Air's promotion. We thoroughly enjoyed Iceland. The people were warm and hospitable and the country is amazing in its rugged beauty. Reykjavik is easy to walk around and explore which we did. The museum was a highlight. It had many interactive exhibits which were great for the kids. We stayed at Hotel Fron. We had requested a room big enough to accommodate 4 of us and were rewarded with a three bedroom apartment with a full kitchen and 2 flat screen tv's. It was perfect. Great location, very helpful staff, more than enough room for us all and very reasonably priced. In fact, it was the only thing reasonably priced in Iceland. Iceland is a very expensive country as everything has to be imported. The highlight of our trip was the Blue Lagoon. It was a perfect way to recharge after the flight over. Our only regret is that we only stayed in Iceland 2 days...there was so much more we wanted to see. I would highly recommend a visit to Iceland and a stay at the Hotel Fron.

Location, Location, Location

by TripAdvisor Member BmoreHon

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Fron for three nights in early June. The location was wonderfully convenient to shopping, restaurants, pubs and the famous Reykjavik nightlife. We had no problem with noise from the street (as some previous reviews mentioned)...but our room was located in the back part of the hotel. The room was fine - clean, comfy beds, good water pressure in the shower. The breakfast was pretty simple, but the coffee was hot and the breakfast room was clean. The staff was friendly and very helpful in booking tours and dinner reservations. The price was VERY reasonable for what you get - and that is something in a city where a simple meal for two people can be upwards of $150! I'd highly recommend this hotel.

Iceland for the weekend: Hotel Fron

by myopicgirl

"Hotel Fron"

I stayed at Hotel Fron for 2 nights in December 2008. Finding a great deal on Icelandair, a group of 4 of us were elated to find the dollar being so strong. The hotel was about $40/night and the airfare only $500 round trip!

Hotel:
Excellent for a group of four. There were three rooms total with two rooms having a double bed and the third with a single. The apt included a private balcony, a nice living room, and a kitchen. Furnishings were not as stark-IKEA as I expected, few homey touches were included. As advised by TripAdvisor I asked for a room in the newer annex away from the street. All my requests were catered to in advance via email with the hotel staff.

When we arrived at 9am from our early flight from NYC, our room was available to us at no extra charge as well as free breakfast three mornings (even though we only stayed two nights). The breakfast was very basic and the Mexican restaurant it was served in was cute.

The hotel staff were somewhat helpful, depending on the staff members, they did accommodate special requests (e.g. calling the tour company to confirm our reservations, calling for a physician when one member of our group got sick which by the way cost $80-100)

"Activities via Netbus"

ctivities:
After researching on the web, I picked the least expensive Golden Circle Tour 7000 Krona from Netbus. It ended up that all the tour groups shuttle you in the same giant tour bus anyway so we had a great bargain compared to other agencies (Reykjavik Excursions, Iceland Tours) since they all charged a few thousand more Kronas than Netbus, last I checked. The tour and the guide was wonderful. We saw a geothermal plant, the oldest church in Iceland, a few Geysers, Gullfoss Falls, and the site of the first Parliament and intercontinental plates.

The second activity we booked was on the way to the airport Blue Lagoon Tour also via Netbus for 4000 Krona which included the admission ticket into the spa (which some tours did not include) The Blue Lagoon was very touristy but also an absolute must, bring a waterproof disposable camera!

The only downside about Netbus was that once you book it on the website, we didn't get a confirmation email until we asked for it. No worries the Icelandic tours are good on their word, if you reserve it online, you will have your reservation!

"Around Reykjavik"

Around Reykjavik:
We checked out the major cathedral on the hill which was not much to see since it was mostly under construction. A great picture spot was the Viking ship sculpture near the water. Try out the cute hotdog stand near the flea market as well.

Shopping:
You can find some knickknacks in the flea market by the harbor. We walked along all the major city streets near the hotel and found the shops quite pricey. Better selections at the airport.

Bars/Restaurants:
Check out a spot called Boston's which is pretty authentic Icelandic chic bar. Also on the same street as Hotel Fron.

hours of daylight in january

by ogol

I will be going to rejkjavik for a week in january .How many hours of daylight can I expect in january ?
Also some not expensive hotel in reykjavik ?

by travelfrosch

Daylight hours range from 4 hours, 21 minutes, 21 seconds on January 1st
to 7 hours, 1 minute, 44 seconds on January 31st.

Source:

As for inexpensive hotels, you might want to take a look at VT's Reykjavik travel guide. In the search box at the top right-hand corner of this page, just type in "Reyjkavik" and then hit "GO!"

by travelfrosch

Slight correction:

Daylight hours on Jan 1, 2010: 4 hours, 23 minutes, 38 seconds
Daylight hours on Jan 31, 2010: 7 hours, 0 minutes, 10 seconds

by Odinnthor

We just did a couple of detailed threads about winter travel in Iceland. They will answer all your questions.

If you need further infor come back with details, and we will fill in the blanks. You will see in on response I recommended Hotel Fron. Check out these threads.

Comments