Hotel Plaza Reykjavik

Costs 72% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Hotel Plaza Reykjavik

Great Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Highjinx

I was working in Reykjavik for 6 weeks in January, and had a couple of friends over to visit. We stayed at Hotel Plaza, chosen entirely for its location, it turned out to be a great hotel. Service was great, and the bar was a great place to have a drink before heading into crazy Reykjavik.

One word of warning with this hotel would be that if you are not a 6am party animal then try to get a back facing room on a Friday and Saturday night as the Icelandic noise levels are high....all night long.

Clean modern and great location

by TripAdvisor Member IansTravels

The Plaza has a great location, opposite a small square at the end of the main shopping street. The hotel is clean and modern with comfortable rooms and big windows.
The staff were friendly and helpful and will happily book excursions and the Flybus to the airport for you.
Breakfast buffet was entirely adequate with scrambled eggs and bacon in addition to the usual breads and cold platters.
No restaurant but plenty of choices within a few minutes walk.
Free internet access was a bonus.

Great hotel! Perfect location!

by TripAdvisor Member hellomachka

We stayed at the Plaza Hotel on April 28th. The rooms were good size (by european standards) as well as the bathroom. We were on the 6th floor, facing in. The room was clean and there was an abundant amount of toiletries available. The location couldnt be more perfect; about a 5 minute walk to the main shopping/restaurant area and about a 10 minute walk to the main church. The tourist information center is located right next door! Multiple restaurants and shops right outside the hotel too. The staff was very courteous and helpful- we arrived at 8 am and we were allowed to check in by 10am. Breakfast was a big spread; cold cereals, yogurt, sliced cheeses and meats, some fruits, various breads.

Excellent Location!

Travelled to Iceland for 3 days and stayed in Plaza hotel during our trip. Had a car for the duration to see the Golden Circle etc. The hotel has no car park, but there is plenty of car parking close by.

Excellent location, just a few minutes walk to the old harbour for whale watching trips. Lots of restaurants very near to the hotel.

Very friendly, helpful and knowledgable staff, good bar area, very clean rooms, nice bathrooms with lots of toiletries.

Breakfast was also very good with lots of choices including eggs and bacon / sasuages.

We had a lovely stay

by TripAdvisor Member Lyzzie

I took my partner to the Plaza for his birthday. We had a great time. We booked a room facing the square on the third floor which was great as we got to see the 'comings and goings' in the evening. The rooms have floor to ceiling windows which are like enclosed balconies and are very good for people watching. We nicknamed this the 'window bar' and had drinks there before going out on the town. Good Tip - get some good duty free wine from the airport before you leave the UK as its cheaper than Icelandic alcohol, you can then drink it in the window bar before you hit the town. The Viking beer is very good and is around £4-5 a pint. There are lots of places to eat locally and the people are wonderful. I had a burger which was a little undercooked and asked for it to be re-griddled to which they happilly whisked it off and gave me a whole new meal and struck this off the bill - much better service than in most places in the UK. Hiring a car is a good idea as it saves on busfares and also gives you lots of flexibility - we did the Golden triangle tour ourselves and had the car for 3 days which cost the same price as the Golden triangle tour for 2 people. As well as the Triangle we also got to the Blue Lagoon twice (great restaurant) and many of the falls on the south coast. If you can go during the twelfth night celebrations then its great - there's fireworks and partying on the 12th night in Reykjavic as well as a special party when the last Santa goes home on 12th night - highly recommended. Icelandic people are wonderful, there are lots of cafes and bars to go and a couple of good clubs as well as wonderful scenery. The breakfast at the Plaza was a buffet, which was ok and the rooms clean and a decent size. All in all a good stay.

Excellent hotel - Perfect stay - Unforgettable holiday

by TripAdvisor Member KonstantinosGR

I stayed with a friend at the Plaza last weekend (May 12-14). We booked the hotel based on its presentation on its website and the very positive reviews on this site. This proved to be without a doubt the best possible choice of hotel. Its location is perfect. overlooking a small square which leads to a busy commercial street with shops, bars, restaurants. Everything was within walking distance ! The city hall by the pond is just around the corner. The national museum is only a 5-10 mins walk. The tourist information office is right next to the hotel.
The hotel itself is a very slick modern hotel with a cool, classy yet relaxed ambience ! The room was very stylish and spacious, the bathroom was large and well supplemented wih a nice range of toiletries. Again as with the rest of the hotel, the presentation of the room was very stylish ! The room also featured a nice LCD TV, free broadband internet access, a big window letting lots of light in (we were fortunate to have two days of glorious sunshine !) and so did an airbridge connecting the "old" with the "new" building !

I cannot praise the staff enough ! Both the delightful lady in the morning shift and the gentleman in the night shift. Very professional and extremely helpful. They suggested tours / excursions and booked them for us, arranged our pick up for the airport, arranged our taxis to the Perlan, gave us tips for where to eat (great suggestion !), would give us directions and mark routes and destinations on the map ALWAYS with a smile ! On our way back from our explorations of the city they would welcome feedback, ask about our impressions and chat with us giving a personal, attentive feel to our stay ! The staff further enhanced our great impressions of the hotel. Now that we are back we still remember their impeccably professional yet warm and friendly service which won us over from the very minute we walked into the hotel ! So much so that for the first time we felt compelled to write a "Thank you" letter to the hotel management (sth we've never done before).

In conclusion, I cannot praise the hotel and its staff enough ! The trip to Iceland was a dream come true, as I have been obsessed with this beautiful country for a long time ! I had great expectations before visiting Iceland and now I have fond memories of what turned out to be a dream holiday ! I am bound to go back and Hotel Plaza will be without a doubt the hotel of choice !

Very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member lolaborro

This hotel offers awful value for money. I had it booked by our company's agency for some business travelling, but I then decided to spend the weekend before in Iceland so because this hotel's rates for the weekend were so extortionate, we booked the Borg Hotel just across the road just for the weekend so, I had the chance to compare the Plaza to the Borg and I can say that the Plaza is in clear disadvantage.

To start with, they messed up with our reservation, they had mine but not my colleague's, luckily when he arrived, they still had availability so they managed to accomodate him but the internet connection didn't work in his room so he ended up leaving and going to the Borg (and I wish I had done the same but I had no excuse to leave...).

Rooms are really small, with only one tiny window that feels really claustrofobic. Lighting is very poor because of the tiny window the there is not much aftificial lighting neither, so I ended up having to read in the dark... the rooms are not well equiped for the price paid. No complimentary pen and paper, no bathrobes, no slippers, no tissue paper in the bathroom no make up mirror, the shower is so small it becomes impossible to shower in it, as you end up knocking your arms against the panels when trying to lift them, also the panel joints are not watertight so the whole bathroom gets flooded with water. There virtually no shelving to put cosmetics and guess what... no feedback forms available neither, I wonder why. I went to reception to ask for one but apperently they don't do them. I'm not surprised, they must like to be in denial.

The decoration of the rooms is rather pathetic, no style whatsoever, everything seemed to come from a cheap value pack "buy one get one free" and thrown in the room in a random way with no taste or style and since they don't seem to have enough double bed covers, they seem to be quite happy by just overlapping two single ones together which looks cheap and awful. If the hotel was cheap I would understand but it is defnitely not.

The breakfast selection was quite bad as well, there wasn't barely any choice, or very little compared to the Borg. One one cheese available, no yogurts no pastries, juices were not fresh, bacon overcooked, awful coffee from an awful machine, hardly any fresh fruit.

If I had not had the chance to compare with the Borg, I would have thought this is the standard in Iceland but because I could compare it with another hotel that by the way cost much cheaper, I know this is not the standard to be expected but much worse.

Good Enough

by TripAdvisor Member KCollins

We stayed at the Plaza for one night on a tour of Iceland. The hotel is in a great spot and the staff are great, really friendly and helpful.

The hotel itself has no character and rooms are the standard (boring) type you get all over the world. They are just about big enough and clean. Ask for a room in the new block as they seem to be slightly nicer.

Breakfast is in what obviously doubles as a meeting room in the basement. It is fit for purpose though and there is a good selection of food.

Great Hotel!

by TripAdvisor Member preciosa919

I recently stayed here during a tour of Iceland with a large group of friends. Over the course of our time here I stayed in two different rooms at the Hotel Plaza (we began here, then went to Vik for a couple days, and then returned to Reykjavic), and both rooms were clean and comfortable. It is in a great location, right next to the tourist office, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the hotel offers a very nice breakfast buffet (for an additional cost). I would definately recommend this hotel to others.

Nice hotel

by TripAdvisor Member kaylinMD

This hotel is in a great location, right in the center of town and next to the tourist information office. This location has its plusses and minuses. Convenient to everything, and right in the middle of the action. The downside is that it gets noisy if you have a room facing the square. Partiers at night, and street cleaning machines in the early morning.

The room was fine and quite big enough for two people. It's just not realistic to expect the same level of luxury that you'd get for this price in another country - Iceland is expensive! The hotel staff was very helpful and accommodating. While there is no hotel parking, if you ask at the desk they can direct you to some free street parking about a 5-10 minute walk away. The breakfast was about average, nothing special.

I will second the recommendation for the Tapas restaurant around the corner, good small plates for a price that is reasonable by Reykjavik standards.

Comments