Icelandair Hotel Loftleidir

Vio Hlidarfot, Reykjavik 101, Iceland

Good For No Data
  • pacific_sol's Profile Photo

A place to rest your head in Reykjavik

This hotel has been renamed the Icelandair Hotel Natura and has been recently remodeled. We stayed for 3 nights at the end of February/beginning of March 2013.

The lobby area of the hotel was very nice and had a very natural but contemporary feel. There is a nice sitting area right in front of the front desk, along with two computers that hotel guests can use for free. To the right hand side of the lobby is the hotel's restaurant, Satt, which also had a nice cozy seating area with a fireplace. There are several wooden sculptures in the lobby area that are meant to look like people, and they were a bit disconcerting at times if you looked up suddenly and thought that someone was standing there looking at you.

We had booked a twin room here and our room was not as nice as the lobby. I have a feeling that our room was one that had not been remodeled yet. Our room was on the 4th floor overlooking the Reykjavik domestic airport. The room was just looking old - old carpet, worn looking furniture, mattresses that were sunken in the middle and too soft to sit on comfortable (surprisingly I actually slept very well on them though!). However, we really were only in our room to sleep, and since everything was clean though, we didn't think the older room was too big a deal, especially since we saved a lot of money on the package deal we got for the trip through Icelandair. The bathroom was clean, although small, and they only have a shower instead of a bath, which was fine with us. The toiletries provided are hand soap and shampoo from Soley Organics, which is the company that runs the hotel's spa. They are full size in dispensers, so you don't have any travel size ones to take with you, which was just as well since I did not really care for the scent of the toiletries. It was a plant based scent, not floral, and I thought it said it was from basil oil, but I didn't really like it.

I did glimpse into a room across the way one morning when it was being cleaned, and that room looked like it had been remodeled, with hard wood flooring and new furniture, but it might have been one of their special rooms that you pay a premium for.

We did not mind being next to the airport as there was hardly any air traffic and the ensuing noise- my traveling companion actually thought it was really neat to be overlooking the airport.

Probably the only downside was that the hotel is outside of the center of town and there isn't really any stores close by. The closest store was actually an N1 gas station where we bought some snacks and drinks (they also had hot food inside, including Subway and a Mexican food place called Serrano that is comparable to Chipotle). The gas station was about a 10-15 minute walk away, and the center of town (main shopping streets) is another 10-15 minutes.

You can buy some snacks at the hotel. There is a refrigerated case in the lobby to the left of the front desk where you can buy water, soda, sandwiches made at Satt, fruit, skyr, and some other things, but it was fairly pricey.

We also made great use of the hotel's tour desk to book all of our activities. All the tour companies had hotel pick up and drop off, which was super convenient.

We did eat at the breakfast buffet at Satt twice. The price of the buffet was equivalent to $17 USD which I thought was a bit steep for breakfast but we didn't really have any other options for a hot breakfast close by. They had some hot food like scrambled eggs and sausages, and other fare like cold cuts, cheese, skyr, oatmeal, fruit, etc. and coffee, tea, and orange and apple juice.

We did not use the pool. I had been looking forward to using it since it's geothermically heated, but we discovered that there is a 1000 krona fee to use it (less than $10 USD), so we skipped it.

There were lots of people staying at the Natura while we were there, including many business people, as well as many people on vacation/holiday, especially from the UK. The majority of the people we saw were adults - there were very few children that seemed to be staying here with their families.

Unique Quality: The hotel has some neat activities like movies and a bedtime story time during the week but we were not able to attend since we were out on tours at those times.

Directions: South of downtown, close to Perlan, next to the Reykjavik Domestic Airport

• Stay was okay

The stay at this hotel is okay. It is much nicer from the inside than the outside, as it looks like an old airport building. As other members have written, you only stay in here to rest. The room was larger than what I expected, though the twin beds smaller.

My only compliant is how far it is away from the main city center. After reading the reviews, it sounded like the 20 minute walk was an easy one. But in reality, it isn't. There is construction going around the area, so the walk paths aren't clearly defined. The shuttle is convenient, but it does only run 6 times a day. If you want to stay late in the city, you will either have to catch a taxi or walk back. Not bad, if it wasn't raining and cold.

I enjoyed the breakfast provided. The pickled and smoked herring was tasty. One of the roll breads was delicious. Like a light, puffy, rye or whole wheat bread. Crunchy on the outside and light & airy inside.

• pure1942's Profile Photo

Hotel Loftleider

The Hotel Loftleider is owned by Icelandair and so it's location just beside Reykjavik regional airport isn't an entire surprise! This location isn't as bad as it sounds as the airport only operates during the day so doesn't disturb your sleep and the aircraft landing here or of the light variety.
    The Hotel doesn't look much from the outside but inside is much better and offers a comfrtable stay in Reykjavik. The hotel is located about 15-20 minutes walk from the city centre and the hotel provides a free shuttle bus to and from the city centre for its guests. There is also a public bus stop beside the Hotel. Taxi's can also be easily arranged and will get you to the centre for around ISK1500 (€10).

The rooms are OK considering you will only really be sleeping here. All rooms have TV, ensuite and coffee making facilities.
    The Hotel also has a sauna, hot tub and swimming pool for the use of its guests, although the swimming pool is small and a bit dated.

Breakfast is included in the price of you room and excursions and trips can be booked in the lobby as well as having a small gift shop and ATM on site.

As we stayed in this hotel as part of a package deal with flights and transfers, I'm not too sure of the price for a room but from what I have heard, they are quite high for what you get, but having said that, prices for accommodation in Reykjavik are very expensive in general. Internet prices are quoted at €81 for a single and a double for €96.

Good base from which to explore Reykjavik and the surounding countryside but by no means the best hotel I have ever stayed in (considering it has a 4star rating).

• Hotel Loftleidir - NOT 4 stars

Definatly NOT recommend this hotel, it say 4 stars but dont have the 4 star standard.

Here is my Opinions:
    - Building is really old, dont trust the pictuers on their web site
    - worst than a airport hotel ( right next to the National Airport)
    - 1/2 of the hotel are office(some sort of company i guess), u can utterly see people working in the office(not hotel staff) and the desk etc
    - shuttle bus is available BUT nothing between 11:45 am - 6:15pm
    - small shuttle bus, only 16 seats and about 8 standing place and the hotel was fully book so when they saw some people couldnt get into the bus, THEN they order another one
    - mini bar is empty
    - no bath, shower only
    - internet service was not available for the first 2 days
    - breakfast was horrible, most of the food is gone after 8am, and it doesnt seems they refill the food at all.
    - Gym is TINY. 2 weight mechines and 2 running mechines RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER and a bicycle mechines, THAT's IT
    - pool feels very very dirty.

I was very disappointed with my staying and i definately will not going back to this hotel again.

• globetrotter_2006's Profile Photo

Hotel Loftleidir Icelandair hotels

We stayed in this Hotel which is located next to the National airport. Although you can walk to town on a nice day, we opted for the Taxi.

Unique Quality: Loflteiðir is great for business and pleasure, with full conference service and a host of free perks for guests, including indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, whirlpool and sauna. There’s also a solarium and massage suite. A bike rent is also available for hotel guests.

More about Icelandair Hotel Loftleidir

Great Experience

by olsson about Icelandair Hotel Loftleidir

Great Experience - the hotel staff was amazing. Everyone was interested in providing assistance, advice and awesome service. The rooms were small by US standards but very much normal by European design. Complimentary full breakfast every morning was very good. The hotel runs a free shuttle service to the city center which was nice. There is also a bus stop accross the street making a rental car unneeded. Overall the hotel was very clean and convenient. We would recommend this hotel to others. Although the exterior of the hotel lacks charm, everything else was very acceptable.

Great Hotel, Bad Location

by RsbrySwrrl about Hotel Loftleidir

The staff and facility were wonderful! The front desk staff were quite helpful throughout our stay. They helped us purchase the Reykjavik Tourist Card and told us about good restaurants and things to do. The buffet breakfast that was included was the most delicious breakfast I have ever eaten - the freshest, softest bread; delicious chocolate, nut and cream cheese danish; fresh crisp granola; milk; juice; the fluffiest eggs I've ever eaten; sausages. Right out front of the hotel is the Perlan Restaurant, which houses the Viking Museum. I'd definitely recommend a hike to the top of the hill, both during the day and at night, for some great picture-taking opportunities. Right out front of the hotel is the Perlan Restaurant, which houses the Viking Museum. I'd definitely recommend a hike to the top of the hill, both during the day and at night, for some great picture-taking opportunities.

The only problem is that it's a little out of the way (about a 15-minute walk to the city center, but you have to cross a couple of major highways), and the bus service stops running around midnight. So if you're planning on experiencing some of Reykjavik's killer nightlife, I'd recommend staying somewhere closer to the downtown area.

Hotel Loftleider

by MJSThirty6 about Hotel Loftleider

This is the largest hotel in Iceland. Also the only hotel with an indoor pool. This hotel is owned by Icelandair. Our room was very clean and the staff was very helpful. It has a restaurant and nice souvenir shop. FlyBus Excursions has staff available in the rear of the hotel to reserve a tour or board the FlyBus to Keflavik International Airport. Reykjavik City Bus Number 7 makes stops at the hotel for transport to the city center.

Good location, good service, good room

by Nexus7 about Hotel Loftleider

Hotel Loftleider is near the Reykjavik municipal airport and is just a 5 minute walk to the main drag of Laugavegur in Reykjavik. The outisde is mediocre, but the inside is gorgeous and the rooms are outfitted very nicely. A coffe maker is given to every room which I took a picture of because it was so damn cool. Not to mention the interior is done in a very nice wood finish. The airport noise is not heard and our view was of the hill that houses The Pearl setting atop the old water tanks. The staff is remarkably helpful, there is a very large breakfast buffet included, most tours originate from this hotel so you don't have to go anywhere to meet a leaving tour.

Terrible, but clean.

by TripAdvisor Member Rjoc

I spent a weekend at the Loftleider Hotel in Reykjavik with my wife at the end of October. Having read several conflicting comments on this site I decided to wait and make up my own mind as to the pros and cons of this hotel.

I found the hotel to be clean and the interior decor was not quite as bad as some people have made out. To be honest, this hotel is way below a four star standard and I would liken it to an Ibis or Travelodge but at least they advestise exactly what they are.

The room had two single beds which we just pushed together as something like that doesn't really bother me. There was no drawers for storing clothes and a few hangers on a bar in the corner was supposed to be the closet. The bathroom was small and the shower cubicle (no bath) even smaller. Watch your toes when entering/exiting the bathroom! Beware also as the door to the room opens OUT instead of in.

Breakfast was a very messy affair and the limited number of staff just could no cope with the volume of guests. They ran out of food, tea, knives, forks, tables......... awful. We had to clear our own table.

The bar, in fairness, stayed open late one night but closed early the next!

On the one occassion I went to use the leisure facilities I was met by a young attendent who told me everything was full. I looked in to see the jacuzzi and swimming pool full of people drinking cans of beer. The young man told me it was the regular thing on a Saturday evening.

I could go on but suffice to say that when I return to Reykjavik it will be at any other Hotel.

Fairly nice. Will choose something else next time, though.

by TripAdvisor Member DrKK

OK. Let's start with the good points. By Icelandic standards, this hotel (which runs $275 per night in high season) is reasonably priced (yes, $275 per night in Iceland can be "reasonable"; Iceland is an expensive place). The room (I had a so-called "poet's suite") was very small but quite nice. The bed was exquisite, in my opinion, especially with the down-filled sheets. Each night I was here, it took me less than one minute to fall asleep. The television had only a few stations, but it had both CNN and Sky news (which is like Britain's Fox News). All of the daytime staff were perfectly fluent in several languages, including English and French; the nighttime staff was somewhat less so, but fluent enough. ATM on site provided easy, cheap access to cash (which you actually don't need in Iceland; the whole place is electronic), there is a secure luggage area for early arrivals (the plane from Baltimore to Reykjavik arrives early)...everything was clean.
Nice touch: they have several free computer terminals for guest use for checking mail, and so forth. Another nice touch: This hotel has every known deal with every known tourism excursion in Iceland. You can buy your tickets directly at the hotel, and the bus stops directly at the hotel (guests at most other hotels will have to figure out some way to get to the bus station, for example).

The only bad points are these: The "free breakfast" is kind of a madhouse, and is mediocre; this is compounded by a sometimes smarmy waitress staff. The Hotel is inconveniently situated from downtown Reykjavik, this is really the worst Achilles' heel of the place, and the sole reason we are unlikely to select it for our next visit. The walk to town is fairly long and ugly, a cab costs over 1000 kronur, and the hotel-provided shuttle is mediocre as it only loosely adheres to its schedule (for example, leaving 5 minutes earlier than it was supposed to, causing us to miss it). There is no short, convenient, and cheap way to get to town. The exterior of the hotel is ugly as sin; it looks like an East German hotel from the 1970s. The domestic airport is next door, but there is no real disturbance from that at all, but it does contribute to the extreme ugliness of the immediate area surrounding the hotel.

Pool, which we looked at but did not use, was very small and appeared to be deserted most of the time except for the burly ever-present attendant.

That all being said, if you're in Iceland, you're supposed to be out and about doing things. The shortcomings of the hotel are only small ones, really, and its plusses are noteworthy.

Hotel LoftleidirHotel Loftleidir

Loftleider HotelLoftleider Hotel

Worth staying outside of Reykjavik?

by IrishKB

I'm planning a trip for October and wanted to spend several days in and touring around Reykjavik and do at least two days elsewhere. I'm also thinking of doing a package where you buy the hotel and the airfare. Which is better: returning to Reykjavik each night so I can get the best deal or staying overnight in the other cities?

Thanks!

RE: Worth staying outside of Reykjavik?

by dassi

Hi there.
It all depends on how many days you will stay but you can do tours from Reykjavik.And the package deal is often good but try notto stay at Loftleidir hotel since it is a bit out of the way and Nordica hotel is about 25-30 min walk (5 min in a taxi) away from center
I can get you a very good deal at some hotels look here http://www.reykjavikhotels.is/hotel%5Freykjavik/english/links/
and check out Reykjavik hotels
at all 3 I can get very good deals if not fully booked. I can also get 15 % of tours here http://re.is/ and some good deals at this car rental http://budget.is/
If you rent a car and drive along the south coasttowards eas I can get you a very good deal here too
Greetings
Bragi

RE: Worth staying outside of Reykjavik?

by xuessium

HI! Kelly:

Bragi is already here with his useful insights as usual so I would just encourage you, why not? Maybe even move northwards to the northern city of Akureyri? Would be worth a look.

Just my 2 cents worth.