Icelandica Luxury Suites

Tungata 34 | (formerly Iceland Princess), Reykjavik 101, Iceland

Good For No Data
  • no_seriously_Bill's Profile Photo

A really unique place

This is really a lovely mansion with six private apartments...sort of a cross between a B&B and a hotel. The room I stayed in had a private entrance, a small kitchen with a breakfast table, a huge bathroom with a Jacuzzi, a bedroom and all the amenities (large TV, cable, internet capability etc). This is truly one of the most special places I have ever stayed. The house is located smack in the middle of the diplomat section of Reykjavik, where all the foreign missions are located. It is also a couple blocks from the main Catholic cathedral and a brisk 10 minute walk from the Tjornin, the small lake at the heart of Reykjavik.

Unique Quality: The decor of my room was dark wood, painted tile and antique-style furniture picked to reflect the era in which the house was built. The bed was monstrous...comfortable enough to disappear in. The down side, if you want to see it that way, is you are charged for this level of quality. The $300 dollars-a-night is steep even by Icelandic standards. I did it on my last trip and I am glad for the experience, but I probably wouldn't do it again. Then again, if I wanted that special romantic getaway spot in Iceland this would be the place.

There is just one detail about my stay which would be irritating if it weren't so ridiculous. When I was there (summer 2005) it was owned and run by this unusual American couple. One day, the husband came to me and calmly expressed his annoyance with me because I had not ordered the free Continental breakfast which you recieve when you fill out this little menu card and hang it on the door. I didn't want any free breakfast, so I didn't hang the card! I was suprised and comically amazed at the nerve the guy...imagine, criticizing me...the patron....for not taking a free meal! All I could do is give him that indifferent look you reserve for the absurd and filled out the stupid card!

• Icelandica Suites (formerly the Iceland Princess)

The Icelandica Suites Bed and Breakfast is located in an old sea captain's house on embassy row, nestled among the foriegn embassies of Reykjavik. From the outside it looks simply like a well-kept home. But the house itself is beautiful as are the gardens that surround it.

Our room was full of air and light and had one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. We had a Junior Suite which included a whirlpool bath and a small kitchen. I highly recommend getting a room with a kitchen if you plan on staying for more than a couple of days because food is very expensive here and you can save a lot by making a few meals yourself.

Unique Quality: This hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the old part of the city which includes shopping, bars, restaurants, and night clubs. It is expensive to stay here, but not nearly as expensive as one of the larger hotels downtown would be. Breakfast is also included in the price of your room.

Directions: Two doors down from the Finnish Embassy.

Comments