Loftleidir Hotel

Costs 24% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Loftleidir Hotel

Hotel Loftleidir

by Reddevil about Hotel Loftleidir

Quite nice hotel with good pool. (We was told there were no alcohol allowed... That´s half the point with sauna!). Price was included in our package price so I don´t really know. Breakfast was good, started at 05.00 with a light version, very good when going to the airport (or coming home from downtown activities). The full breakfast started at 07.00.

Hotel Loftleidir

by TripAdvisor Member Sunbrae

We (2 adults and 2 kids) have just returned from a weekend break in Iceland at the hotel Loftleidir. I'd read some of the mixed reviews before our weekend break but was prepared to go with an open mind, knowing that it was situated next to the local airport and that it was an estimated 20 minute walk from downtown.

We arrived late on the Friday and the front desk hotel staff were quiet but polite. We had two standard twin rooms, which were clean and warm. It was a surprise to find the doors opened out onto the corridor. The room had complimentary tea and coffee + tv, which had a couple of english channels and movie channels and the bathroom was clean. The bedding was very basic - not really 4* standard. Neither of us experienced any problems sleeping, even though we were next to the airport.

The following morning we went for breakfast, which was buffet style. There was a pot of coffee on each table. Whilst the cold buffet selection was fine the hot buffet (potato, scrambled egg?, beans and sausage) were only just warm.

After our first tour we made our own way back to the hotel as the complimentary shuttle bus was not due back to the hotel until 6.00pm and it was around 2.00pm-ish. Rather than walk it is quite easy to catch a bus from Hlemmur (Route 16), which is very frequent and on time, directly to the hotel. Brilliant!

We tried to book dinner at the front desk, but the staff didn't seem to know much about booking the dining room. We went directly to the dining room area and booked a table.

Later we arrived at the dining room to be ignored for 5 minutes. The staff didn't make eye contact and the feeling was that you didn't exist. We were eventually taken to our table and told that the a la carte menu would be delayed by 40 minutes, but we could have the buffet instead. We were a little disappointed about this. The buffet was reasonable and the chef was very friendly. The food we had was lovely, wine is very expensive. We had buffet the third night too as the a la carte was not available.

We did venture to the bar on the third night and found that the staff were friendly.

We had to book our flybus back to the airport via the gift shop? It is not really what I would call a gift shop, but again the member of staff was helpful.

When we needed to leave we asked at the front desk if we could leave our luggage in their store and the staff were again helpful and friendly.

Summary:
The hotel is clean and on the whole the staff were friendly.
If you don't want to walk into town or risk the complimentary shuttle bust - catch the local bus at the bus stop across the road from the hotel to Hlemmur (.500k for 2 adults - children appeared to be free) and walk down Laugavegur street.
The food is fine.
The hotel is not really 4* standard, however having said that, we would book again, as we know exactly how to get about and what to expect.

Hotel Loftleidir, Rekjavik.... a good choice

by pchamlis about Hotel Loftleidir

A superior first class hotel near the smaller city airport of Rekjavik. (Don't worry, not a lot of large plane traffic at the city airport, no noise issues).

Hotel is within easy walking distance of central Rekjavik and the pedestrian zones and harbor.

Restuarant is fine, although we only ate breakfast there. (Too many other places for dinner to be eating at the hotel!)

Nice spa and sauna. Massage rates are reasonable, about 350 IKr for an hour's massage.....about $40 US. Comfortable and efficient.

I would suggest spending a few extra Kroner for an upgrade to a superior or even a deluxe room. There are three or four suite rooms. The only one that struck my fancy, when considering the extra money, was the "poet's room". Very nice.

Although Iceland is considered...

by chrissyalex

Although Iceland is considered to be quite an expensive country....you may be able to get a good package deal from through Icelandair.I stayed at the Hotel Loftleidir .It is a 4star hotel and it was very reasonable through the package deal I got.Please check this site for some reasonable package deals www.icelandair.com

Dependable, Reliable, Solid Accomodation

by willhaigh about Hotel Loftleidir

I have to say, the Hotel Loftleidir is a very nice place. Very clean, very large, just about every amenity you could wish for. It has an indoor pool and spa area, gift shop, restaurant with full bar, meeting/convention rooms, concierge services, elevators. But.... all that said - please be aware that, with all it's attributes.... the Hotel Loftleidir really is not that convenient to the City Center. If you have a rental car - you're all set and, this hotel will be perfect for you. I walked everywhere I went and, that was fine for me. But those with physical limitations might find the Loftleidir a bit isolated. I would, most certainly recommend the Loftleidir - I had absolutely no complaints about the hotel or the staff... but the location is not the most convenient. In all fairness.... the Loftleidir DOES try to mitigate the inconvenience of their location by offering free shuttle service to the city center several times each day. I used it a couple times and, it was comfortable and reliable - it just didn't run quite as often as I might have liked and, it really only went to one stop - a bus stop on Laekjargata.

Note that I did not include prices for the Loftleidir. It is owned by Icelandair and, my accomodation was part of my trip package.... as yours will likely be as well. Refer to the website for per-room rack rates. Free, all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet - a huge plus in expensive Iceland!

Indoor pool/spa

Directly across the road from Oskjuhlid Hill and the Perlan restaurant/museum/observation deck.

Gift shop

Restaurant with full service bar

The biggest hotel in Reykjavik

by kylamees about Loftleidir

It´s with good service, comfortable hotel in Reykjavik You can get great discount if You take a hotel with Icelandair flight.

Good time

by TripAdvisor Member DD_Adventuer

We did a tour around Iceland, so stayed twice in Hotel Loftleidir. The flybus from the airport stops at the hotel which is convenient, especially because the hotel is not downtown. There is ample free parking. The reception and tour desk staff are helpful and knowledgeable. The hotel is usually very busy especially with groups, so getting a table for breakfast at our first stop was somewhat chaotic. However we did manage and enyoyed the wide selection of dishes (warm and cold). which keeps you going especially if you book an excursion.
We were upgraded on our first stay to a Superior room which was quite nice and spacious. On the second stop we just had a Standard room which was considerably smaller. Overlooking the local airport on the second stop, did not disturb as much but might be a problem for very light sleepers.
Both rooms were clean and have the usual standard facilities. They have a couple of English channels and movies on demand.
The pool could have been deeper and slightly warmer but it was okay. You can even watch tv from the hottub.
Concerning the location, which other tripadvisor members have moaned about, we did not find it too inconvienient. Yes, the shuttle bus should run more often, however the walk into downtown will only take you 20 minutes. If people want a downtown hotel, then Hotel Loftleidir is not the right choice but it is very convenient for excusions.
We had a nice stay.

One star hotel in four star hotel's clothing

by TripAdvisor Member Capt_Tom

Subject:Poor quality and service at Hotel LoftleidIr

My wife and I arrived at Hotel LoftleidIr on the thirteenth of August with confirmed reservations for almost two weeks in hand for a room with two beds and smoke free'
In passing I might add that I am handicapped but can walk,. assisted by a cane at a slow pace.

Seeing no bell boy or baggage cart in sight my wife approached the front desk and requested assistance for our six bags, three of which were quite heavy. I waited quite a length of time (perhaps 20-25 minutes) one of the desk clerks finally arrived and took our bags to our room. We were told that the baggage man was sent home (We never saw a baggage man or baggage cart during our stay)
To our dismay the room only had one bed despite our confirmed reservation for two beds and the clerk eventually had a folding cot brought to our room. (not allowed under your grading system)
We were both quite tired and aching due to the long flight from LA and we requested massages in the Health spa area. We were advised that the masseuse had gone home but they scheduled us for massages on the 14th
On the 14th we went to keep our appointment with the masseuse at which time we were told by the health spa staff that the masseuse indeed had been there when we arrived the prior day but after waiting 1 1/2 hours went home to start a one week holiday. Ergo we never were able to obtain a massage.
The room was very cold and when we tried to use the thermostat we were told the thermostat only worked the A/c not the heat and after some delay the heat was raised by the hotel staff
We tried to use the safe but they would not lock we were told by the staff that "none of the safes locked"
We went to dinner that night and my wife Dr H. Perez ordered halibut. After a 45 minute wait the waiter brought out a fish that neither looked or tasted like Halibut. The waiter kept insisting it was Halibut nut it turned out to be Monkfish which my wife does not like. She was never able to obtain a main course that night.
The next late afternoon we tried to order sandwiches at the bar which the front desk staff assured us we could do but found out that nothing was available.
We opened the refrigerator and snack bar in our room, only to find it totally empty
We then tried to use the thermostat for cooling and nothing happened. We were told by the front desk that the thermostat did not control anything
On two successive nights between 2300 and 0130 I repeatedly called the front desk never to have it answered. In both case I dressed and went down to the front desk and after finding a clerk in the back office (not out front) he told me on both occasions that he was too busy to answer the phone . (I saw no one in sight both times at about one in the morning)
From 0800 on every morning we heard the roar of airplanes taking off right in front of our room. (the hotel is part of the airport complex)
I tried repeatedly to contact the manager and the front desk clerk told me that if she happened to see the manager she would let her know I was attempting to contact her.
Finally we could take this poor quality and performance any longer and we cancelled our stay at the Loftleidir.
I told the front desk that I needed assistance with my bags, there were six and three quite heavy. After a long wait a single young man showed up without a baggage cart and he claimed he was never advised of the quantity or weight of the bags and he couldn’t handle all the bags
Finally a second man showed up and I ordered a taxi but still tried to speak to the manager
Finally the manager showed up just as the taxi arrived and she seemed quite disinterested in our recounting of the poor conditions, service and coordination. The manager asked me to put it in writing and handed me a pamphlet to "eliminate the bad taste I had in my mouth about Loftleidir.
When I went out to the taxi with the manager the bill was already at $20.00 for waiting which she did not care to absorb.
Since then I have faxed this same report to the manger however she never answered my statement

Captain Thomas D. Lombard

FOOD & PRICE OF FOOD

Since I am a travel agent, I feel it is important to say while the rooms are adequate, the food was not only terrible but was extremely expensive. All meals are served buffet style. which may or may not be a plus. Dinner for one person, with no other choices from a menu, was $55.00. Since the hotel is not within walking distance to any other restaurants, you don't have much of a choice. Not your best selection if dining is your thing.

by TripAdvisor Member CumbrianUK

Not the best location in the city, and not the most attractive of hotels from the outside.... but this was one of our favourite stays in our two week tour of Iceland.

Reception staff were friendly, professional and helpful. This is a busy hotel, but they were obviously experienced and very well trained.

Our room overlooked the runway and parked aeroplanes on the tarmac.... this is not a busy airport at all, there was absolutely no noise intrusion at all, which was our first worry! It rather felt like the golden age of travel where you stay above a railway station or next to the aerodrome.

Food was very very good, the buffet was the best we had during our two week stay in Iceland. Superb breakfast. Reservation definitely recommended for dinner, as the restaurant is very busy. Service was good, considering how busy the place was.

The walk into the city centre was not the most attractive of strolls, and the courtesy bus was laughable in it's irregular hours. But it IS walkable, and there is a public bus stop outside. there's a nice enough walk through birch trees up to the Perlan on the hill.

Hotel Loftleidir, Rekjavik, IcelandHotel Loftleidir, Rekjavik, Iceland

Reykjavik

by astonktmvilla

Hi
Planning a short trip to Reykjavik possibly staying at Hotel Loftleidir. How near is The Pearl? walkable.
Anyone know the Hotel Loftleidir dinner prices? any restaurants near? (travelling with friends who do not like fish!! but we love fish!)
Thanks,
Kate

by marielexoteria

According to the map found at http://www.backman.is/mapofrvk/part2.html, your hotel is walking distance from the Pearl, but I think you have to take the road to Bustadavegur (the yellow road). I might be wrong of course.

One restaurant that is close to your hotel is Grillid (www.grillid.is), at Radisson SAS Saga but it takes about 20-30 minutes to walk (we walked from this hotel to Hertz car rentals, close to your hotel). Besides those, I think you have to go to the city center to find restaurants, because Hotel Loftleidir is located at the domestic airport.

by mooselet

There is a direct footpath from your hotel to the Perl.

by putns

Is this Loftleidir a must? Most boring and unconveniently located hotel in RVK. Same goes for Radisson SAS.

by marielexoteria

I found Radisson SAS Saga to be OK located. Sure, there's another SAS downtown and many other better located hotels but Saga was about 10 minutes from the center :) Just my opinion, not saying you're wrong.

by Regina1965

The Pearl is very close to Hotel Loftleiðir, you just walk up the hill opposite the hotel through the forest. Or walk to Bústaðavegur and from there to Perlan. It is maybe a 10 minutes' walk. Being a hotel restaurant it might be a little pricey, but with the fall of our króna then this should be affordable. I guess you have checked out the Loftleiðir link, but I add the map from their site http://www.icelandairhotels.com/home/Hotels/HotelLoftleidir/MapsDirections/ Also check out www.perlan.is there you can see what a Wild game buffet and the Christmas buffet costs at the restaurant at top of Perlan. Apart from that there is not much going on around the hotel as it is by the domestic airport. But there is maybe 15-20 minutes' walk to the city center.

All the best,

Regína Hrönn

by marianatgarcia

I stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago and it actually IS walking distance from the Perlan, and totally worth it for the views.
The breakfast buffet at Loftleidir is good, typical breakfast food. Dinner, on the other hand is a little on the expensive side and not the best we had during our stay. I am not a big fish eater so I was a little worried about this but every type of cuisine in ICeland was the best I have tasted anywhere, so it will not be a problem! My guess is they only use the highest quality ingredients in their dishes. We had Italian, Mexican, American...Icelandic...everything was great! Even the pizza is great there!

Comments