Vesturgata 17, Reykjavík, 101, Iceland
Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

More about Reykjavík

Vegamót restaurant.Vegamót restaurant.

The Icelandic raven.The Icelandic raven.

One of the 5 pillars.One of the 5 pillars.

The restaurant by Mt. Esjan.The restaurant by Mt. Esjan.

June visit to Reykjavik; Hilton Nordic

by jumpingnorman

Hi VTer's! Just booked a vacation package with Icelandair for a June getaway. Will be staying at the Hilton Nordic, and I know it's a 15-20 minute walk from downtown --- but has anybody stayed there before? I will be there for only 5 days and I'm thinking of getting the glacier tour on the south coast --- where's the best place for me to purchase the tour (online or when I get to Iceland?)...Has Iceland already recovered from its economic downturn and what should current tourists expect now? Any other tours you might recommend or any reminders??? I read June might be the start of the tourist season (already saw some tips from VZ-Pam's November 2008 trip, I am wondering what I should expect in June)...Thanks a lot! :)

by angiebabe

I had a fantastic time driving the full length of Iceland one August (in one day!! you could do a lot with your 5!!) - couldnt believe the diversity of sights almost or as great as home in New Zealand - or better!!

I guess tours might do any 4x4 stuff but I saw fantastic scenery myself from the car - icebergs, and drove up quite close to the glacier, moss covered lava rocks landscape, the sulphur area and so on.
car rental might be even more affordable with the economic difficulties Iceland has has?

by pg12359

Norman,
I can't speak to the hotel or organized glacier tour but I do second the suggestion that you rent a car. With a standard guide book in hand, there is much to see in the area around Reykjavik: Blue Lagoon, Golden Circle, Reykjanes Penisula, etc. I did all that without a standard tour and it worked out great. Have fun.

by putns

June is great in Iceland with all the birds nesting and the Sun never reaaly away for long. Do not waste your time for sleeping in RVK every night, rent a regular car and you can see at least half of the island in your own good company. The organized tours are slightly geriatric. You can get a professional glacier tour from Hofn to Vatnajokull or from Arnastappi to Snæfellsjkl. Do not book anything in advance as you have to be sure of the weather.

by stnig

agree to putns and if You rent a car you owner of Yor time.Just care about Your clothes,cud bee rayning.If You interest abot cheap car rent or trips see my web page or contact to me.I think the putns know about Iceland a much as vell.Good luck!

by jumpingnorman

Thanks for the suggestions and I will have to see if I'll drive --- I guess it depends on the weather... I will be looking at your Iceland pages Paul and Angela! Wow, the travel forum has been so busy...I just posted this just a few days ago and I am way at the back....Thanks again!

Travel Tips for Reykjavík

Go postal

by acemj

If you're mailing postcards, the easiest place to do it from is the centrally located main post office, which is open from 9am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday and is located on Austurstraeti right in the town center.

The Interior Of Hallsgrimskirkja...

by coceng

These photos were taken by me inside Hallsgrimskirkja Church.
It is open daily :
9 am to 6 pm;
Winter, 10 am to 4 pm.
Admission FREE.
The interiors depict more gothic-feel atmosphere...
This was the first photo; It was closed by a glass door with nice decorations on it.
More visible of the sight inside the church...

The most common Icelandic names.

by Regina1965

The most common male name here in Iceland is JÓN and the most common female name here is GUÐRÚN.

Other male names on the top of that list are: Sigurður, Guðmundur, Gunnar and Ólafur.

And other female names on the top of that list are: Anna, Sigríður, Kristín and Margrét.

There is a Name´s Committee here in Iceland that decides on which names are allowed and which names are not - imagine that!

17th of June - Our National holiday-part II.

by Regina1965

On the 17th of June there are a lot of activities for the kids in Hallargarður and Hljómskálagarður. You will see a horde of people going from Lækjargata and Fríkirkjuvegur to Hallargarður, which is right next to The National Gallery of Iceland (Listasafn Íslands), but in that garden there are a lot of fun activities f.ex. clowns, Kung-fu, Aikido and fenching shows, mini-golf, fortune-tellers etc. Then you walk to the end of Fríkirkjuvegur and into Hljómskálagarður (see the pictures) where the Scouts organize the activities, there are inflated castles and stuff all over, a magician, a sky-diving show and a lot of tents with food and helium-balloons. There is also a veteran-car show in Skothúsvegur, by the bridge dividing the pond Tjörnin.

Golden Circle Tour

by acemj

I had read about the Golden Circle Tour, which takes you from Reykjavik to Þingvellir (Thingvellir) National Park, to Gulfoss (The Golden Waterfall) and then to the famous Geysirs and initially, I wanted to try to do it on my own. A little research revealed that since I was traveling alone, renting a car and doing it on my own would be too expensive, so I settled on this tour offered by Iceland Excursions. There are brochures at all the hotels and, of course, at the Tourist Information offices for the different companies and all of the many excursions they offer. Iceland Excursions and Reykjavik Excursions seem to be the biggest ones and Iceland Excursions was a little cheaper, so I went with them.

This tour was really well done. We had a knowledgeable guide, a comfortable bus and for 6600 Kr, the bus picked me up at my hotel and I was provided with an 8 hour tour after which I was dropped off by the hotel again.

I'll have more information about this tour on some of my other Iceland pages, but here's a quick overview. Þingvellir National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is interesting for its political and cultural history (the world's first functional parliament, etc), but the coolest thing was being able to drive from North America to Europe. You see, the Mid-Atlantic Ridge runs right through the park, so technically you can move overland from the North American continental plate to the European plate.

The weather was pretty crappy, but seen Gulfoss, or the Golden Waterfalls in any weather is still impressive. They aren't the largest or highest falls in Iceland, but they just might be the most dramatic. Another highlight was seeing active geysers (the English word that comes from the Icelandic "geysir"), as they burst forth out of the earth.

Comments