Sjomannaheimilid Orkin

Hotel Orkin
AMOMA.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Costs 92% more than similarly rated 2 star hotels

More about Reykjavík

Corrugated iron houses in Reykjavík.Corrugated iron houses in Reykjavík.

My church in Grafarvogur suburb.My church in Grafarvogur suburb.

The back of the statue of Leif the lucky.The back of the statue of Leif the lucky.

A statue of Ingólfur Arnarson on Arnarhóll.A statue of Ingólfur Arnarson on Arnarhóll.

Lost and Found in Reykjavik? Lost a necklace...

by ZenLady34

hi,

last week I was in Reykjavik for few days (will build the pages after summer hols...) and I did not just lose my heart to Reykjavik but also my silver necklace there. Now, I have no idea when I lost it or where but I thought about contacting the Lost and found office in hope that someone had found it and returned it... Its a silver necklace with a blue stone, no real value except sentimental.

I found a womens handbag in ladies room in Perlan and I returned it to the cafeteria there. The owner soon came to look for it and found it in the cafeteria. I could only imagine the panic what she felt realizing that she lost her handbag... she got it back but will I see my necklace never again? I hope my karma will help me to find my dear necklace...

So, if you know the email address for the lost and found office or a Reykjavik webpage where I could ask around I would be grateful!

Thanks!

Re: Lost and Found in Reykjavik? Lost a necklace...

by leics

Here's the email contact list for Rekjavik tourist information:

It would make sense to contact them first, as your necklace could have been handed in to the Police. The Tourist Info people wil be able to point you in the right direction for emailing/enquiries.

Hope you are lucky....

Re: Lost and Found in Reykjavik? Lost a necklace...

by leics

Lost property at the police headquarters on Hverfisgata 113-115. Phone 569 9016 (plus code for Iceland).

Thanks

by ZenLady34

I'll call them asap...

Travel Tips for Reykjavík

The Weather in Reykjavík

by Redang

Very important to check it:

- www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/ICXX0002
- www.tutiempo.net/tiempo/Islandia/IS.html (Spanish)
- http://en.vedur.is
- http://www3.vegag.is/faerd/weather1.html

Brennivin

by Jmill42

If you see some Icelandic youths drinking a green beverage from a bottle, believe me it is not Scope or Listerine! This would be Iceland's liquor Brennivin. It is a fairly drinkable, Schnapps-like concotion that is most definitely stronger than the aforementioned Schnapps. If you are going to partake, you should definitely purchase it in the airport as it is much more expensive in Iceland with the 37.5% liquor tax!

Icelandic weather.

by Regina1965

What is said about Icelanders is that they never get tired of talking about the weather. Which is no wonder seeing that we very often have a kind of a sample's weather. So one never knows how to dress - in one day you can get sunshine, wind, clouds and rain, then sunshine, clouds, heavy rain again etc. So on clear and sunny days we bring a coat just in case. And we hardly ever carry umbrellas here as when it is raining most of the time it is too windy to carry an umbrella.

Iceland would be almost uninhabitable if it were not for the he warm Gulf stream which travels around the island, so the winters here are warmer than in New York.

The weather is changing here due to global warming (or that is what we think) and nowadays we have much less snow here in Reykjavík than we used to have when I was a child. There is a huge difference. And the summers are much warmer, for the past few years we are having temperatures above 20 degrees C for many days in a row. When I was younger the highest temperatures here would be ca 14 degrees C, which was on a very good day, and the winters were long winters with heavy snow. We are very happy with this change.

The weather-bureau hardly gets it right as the weather is everchanging. I have made the mistake too many times of listening to the weather forecast and gone on a trip - only to be greeted with a totally different weather than was expected.

Smoked lamb "hangikjöt" - a delicacy in Iceland.

by Regina1965

On Christmas day in Iceland it is customary to eat "hangikjöt" (literally hung-meat) smoked lamb. It is boiled, sliced and served cold with potatoes in white sauce. It is also eaten on "Þorrinn" (see my tip).

My nephew, who works in the meat-industry, prepared smoked ram this Christmas and my photos are of that meat. But the custom is to prepare the meat from lamb. The meat is hung and smoked with either birch or with dried sheep dung.

I would say that the whole nation eats hangikjöt at Christmas, apart from the vegetarians and the ones who are allergic to mutton.

Ever played Golf on a Lava Field!?

by sue_stone

For all those who enjoy a game of golf while on holidays, then Iceland can offer you a slightly different golfing experience.

Located between Reykjavik and the airport, there is a golf course that has been built on a lava field!!

Keilir golf club is divided into two halves - the lava course on the front 9 holes, and the links/grass course on the back 9. The lava half of the course is pretty difficult, as if you hit the ball off the course you are in the lava!

Comments