Western Fjords Hotels

Our Members Say

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Gistiheimilið Bjarmaland: A lovely guesthouse

After visiting Dynjandi waterfall we met other Icelanders at the Hrafnseyri museum café. We started talking and told them that we were looking for lodging for the next night. They were coming from Tálknafjörður and highly recommended the guesthouse Bjarmaland in Tálknafjörður village. We phoned the guesthouse and they had a vacancy for the night.

We were not disappointed by our stay here, our room was bright and spacious and looked like a hotel room with a TV in the room. Everything was spotless. There was free wi-fi in the room and a laptop for guests in the sitting room.

The guesthouse was opened on the 06.06.06 by 5 sisters, who made this old house, which used to be a fisherman´s hut, into a beautiful guesthouse. And it shows that it has a woman´s (women´s) touch. Kudos to them :)

There are 10 double rooms and 1 single room at Bjarmaland. The price for a double room was ISK 12.400. We had our duvets with us, but found the price to be fair, so we left them in the car. The price for a double room without duvets (if you bring your sleeping bag) was ISK 7.000, which is a very good price.

Although I didn´t make use of this then I saw washing machines in a separate room by the hotel entrance. And there is a kitchen with cooking facilities.

I add more photos in a travelogue here.

Highly recommended!

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written November 18, 2013

Our room.

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Álftaland guesthouse: Reykhólar

One evening in July we decided on visiting the south part of the Vestfirðir. Seeing that it was unlimited daylight then we gathered that we could reach Reykhólar from Reykjavík that night. We phoned ahead and they had vacancies for the night.

When we arrived all the rooms were vacant. The manager told us that they had had a big group and that another group would arrive tomorrow. But for the night we were the only guests.

Our room was spotlessly clean and bright, no frills though. And the bath-room was clean and modern. We had booked a sleeping bag accommodation as it was less expensive and had brought our duvets and pillows with us.

We didn´t get much sleep though as the staff was having a party in the sitting room and it wasn´t until very late next morning that the loud party stopped. So we were a bit irritated and sleepless when we started on our journey the next morning. But when we wanted to pay there was nobody in sight, anywhere. We rang the number of the guesthouse, but nobody answered. So we packed our things and saw that there was a mobile number on the front door which we could call. We called that number, but no answer. So we went for a drive around the village and tried reaching them again on our way back. No answer. So Jón left his business card and asked them to contact us regarding payment. Finally they did. But they never charged us, so I guess fair is fair in this regard.

There is a lovely sitting room with TV and a piano. There are no TV´s in the rooms. And a big kitchen area, where one can prepare food.

There were 2 Jaccuzies by the guesthouse, but we didn´t try them out.

The price for a room for 2 persons without breakfast is ISK 13.900, but if you bring your sleeping bags (or duvets as we did) then the price is ISK 10.600. You can also hire duvets and pillows.

The price for hostel members is less.

They also have rooms with 3 bedrooms and family rooms.

I add more photos from Álftaland in a travelogue here.

I would stay there again as the facilities are excellent.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written November 18, 2013

Our room.

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Núpur in Dýrafjörður, West-fjords, Iceland: I went to a family reunion here.

Hotel Núpur in Dýrafjörður is in the Westfjords of Iceland and is one of the hotels which is only open in the summer time and is a school during the winter months, like the Hotel Edda chain. I went to a family reunion here with a group of 190 people, some of which stayed on the camp-ground. The rooms are basic with a washbasin and showers and toilets in the corridor. On the floor above our room there was a very good fully equipped kitchen.

There are quite a few computers with Internet connection in the sitting room and a good restaurant. I was very happy with my stay and would stay at this hotel again.

There is also a good camp-ground by the hotel and a lovely church. Very close to the hotel is also Skrúður, one of the first botanical gardens in Iceland (see my tip).

My grandmother was born in Ingjaldssandur, only a few km from Hotel Núpur :)

Getting to Hotel Núpur can be done from either the south-route or the north-route. I took the north-route via Ísafjörður, the capital of the Westfjords. From Ísafjörður take the tunnel on road 60 (above Bónus supermarket) and follow the signs for Patreksfjörður. There is a fork in the tunnel, one exit leads to Suðureyri and the other one to Patreksfjörður. Take the exit for Patreksfjörður. From there the tunnel is one-lane. When out of the tunnel follow the signs for Þingeyri and turn right on road 624 for Núpur. It is only a few km on this gravel road to the hotel.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average