Portlaoise Road, Carlow, County Carlow, Ireland

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Talbot Carlow

A Wee Gem!

by TripAdvisor Member DublinLucy

Having recently visited Carlow for a long weekend I was pleasantly surprised by a little gem of a hotel, the Talbot Hotel Carlow. I was supposed to be staying in Kilkenny – long story but ended up in Carlow instead. I was most impressed by the outstanding friendly staff during my stay. They just couldn’t do enough to help me. I felt as if I was the only guest and indeed the hotel was very busy. The food was totally delicious and the leisure centre was a great surprise as usually hotels have small gyms so this was a treat. I was on a leisure weekend away but I do a fair bit of travelling around as I am a sales rep so I will most definitely use this hotel on my business trips. Highly recommend this gem it seems like a new hotel although I am told it’s a couple of years old.

5 stars all around on this one....

by TripAdvisor Member ms1972

What a gorgeus hotel, stayed for 1 night as was in Carlow on business..... top rooms, top food and the bar and staff are first class.

Carlow doesnt exactly float my boat but that does not reflect on the hotel at all. Talbot should build one of these in every city.....

Nice Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member ostan14

Yes, I can agree with other reviewers that the Talbot is a "nice" hotel, but it is by no means outstanding. Dare I say it - it is bland....

Only a few niggles....

- We were charged for a newspaper at reception...first time I have ever come across this, particularly in a four star establishment..
- No drinking water available in the gym - thereby forcing you to buy a small bottle of mineral water at reception - again, as an avid gym user, I have never used a gym which did not supply access to a water cooler or water fountain
- Housekeeping, most definitely not up to scratch - bed was not cleared of clothing on bedcover, before being made up!
- Only one bar of soap provided between 2 people!
- Vegetarian option on Table d'Hote menu is the very interesting option of pasta with a tomato sauce - I mean please -use some imagination ( though in fairness opted for an option of the a la carte menu which was lovely..)

So, as can be seen, no major complaints. The staff are lovely and helpful and a credit to the establishment., and the breakfast buffet will keep you going until evening time... Also got a very good deal on the hotel's own website.

It costs about €7 by taxi into the town centre - which I must say has much improved since my last visit to Carlow.

Nice time at the Talbot

by TripAdvisor Member Yammo

Just got back from the Talbot in Carlow yesterday. I have to agree with the previous reviewer, it was nice, not great. Too many quibbles to be a four star. I booked our rooms last January, and asked for four adjoining rooms (we were a group of 8 ladies). When we arrived at 2.30pm the rooms were not ready. Again I stressed that we wanted adjacent rooms. I was told that the hotel would ring me on my mobile phone when the rooms were ready! We weren't offered tea or a seat, so off we went in our minibus into the town to await the phone call. It eventually came at 4.20, and yes, you've guessed, they weren't adjacent! One was in a different wing, two were next door to each other, and the last way down at the end of the corridor. I said nothing, we were glad to get settled. The rooms were nice, nothing special, standard 3 star. Quite expensive, €440 per room for the 3 nights B&B.
The staff were very pleasant, great help recommending and booking restaurants, the buffet breakfast was great, hot and good variety of choices. The bar in the evening was very nice with good live music. All in all a pleasant stay, but I wont be in a big rush to go back, there are better hotels out there!

Not Great, go to kilkenny

by TripAdvisor Member family_guy07

This hotel is rated 4 star but during our two day stay we had so many niggles that this rating gets eroded to 3 or less.

The hotel is a few mins outside the town centre (which is quite a bleak tourist location in itself) in the middle of an industrial estate. No views and no gardens of its own.

I agree with the other reviewers about the breakfast - excellent.
The rooms are great too although the sheets are coarse and definitely not 5 star.

The bar is decent too although it seemed full of sharon and darrens when we were there and lots of kids.

The restaurant is fairly poor for dinner too. Reheated food the standard.

You'll do better to book the Lyrath in Kilkenny or Mount Wolesely

Bad/expensive experience

by TripAdvisor Member pathogen

Where do I begin?!Nice,clean but really smelly room..Service in the bar was very slow and very grumpy like I was ruining her night by being there..Thought I'd avoid the vampire Beata and have dinner upstairs (beautiful views of rural Carlow) the next night and was met at the door by a very pleasant fellow.Got a table and a menu and limited wine list and ordered.Was brought the wrong food by the grumpy Natalya and told her so.She just walked away.Called her over and told her again and she said in an "are you stupid?" way "It's chicken,I think.." and walked away.Eventually the head waiter brought the correct order.They made me pay for my impetulence by serving me a horrid main course which I didn't finish.When I left to pay the girl asked me my room no. which I volunteered.The maitre d' rushed over and said repeatedly"You're not on a package!".I said "I know".Tip:When in rural Ireland stay in a bed+breakfast.Friendlier,cheaper,will tell you the best pubs,restaurants,fishing,sites and music.Avoid hotels like this

Disapointing Stay

by TripAdvisor Member Car15

My husband and I were attending a wedding in Carlow and decided to travel the day before so as to be rested for the long day ahead. Unfortunately this was not the case!! There was a 21st birthday party on that night in the hotel until 1.30 and the music was so loud we could not sleep. Even when the music had finished crowds of young people gathered on the street outside resulting in noise until the early hours. Also the room we were allocated was a special needs room which we did not request. This meant that everything in the room was lower down so there was nowhere to hang up our clothes for the wedding. When we complained on checking out we were told the rooms were randomly allocated. I don't think that this is good enough for a 4 star hotel and won't be returning to The Talbot again.

Christmas Party

by TripAdvisor Member JeanMiriam

We arrived down to Carlow at 2pm only 3 of the 6 rooms were ready to occupy. One of the rooms (which were nice and clean) had a very bad smell coming from the toilet. All our rooms were on the 4th floor so cannot imagine how the smell of sewage was getting into the room. It was so bad two of the girls had to share with some others. The food was not great in fact it was a little cold the music was not bad however there were a few undesirables. Security was very heavy and well noticed!!! Before we checked out we were given a rufund from the manager. The staff were extremely nice and couldn't apologise enough. Would not be going back.

Completely average

by TripAdvisor Member MissQuackers

Spent last Saturday night in the Talbot Carlow, and was distinctly underwhelmed. It's a €6 taxi fare out of town and located in what felt like an industrial estate, beside a huge bowling alley complex and a massive Dunnes Stores.

The reception area is large and generic. The staff on reception were polite enough but not particularly friendly or welcoming. We arrived about 2 and our rooms weren't ready so we waited in the bar, which was large and completely characterless. We were hungry but didn't fancy the look of the (€10) carvery, so we waited until we could access the room and got another €6 taxi back to town. Spent a pleasant afternoon and evening wandering about and sampling some of Carlow's many pubs - we liked Scrags Alley and Corcorans - then got our third taxi back to the hotel for dinner in the restaurant.

The restaurant is on the 4th floor and it had sounded nice from the hotel website, but we weren't impressed. It was average sized with average decor, the menu sounded nice but you guessed it - the food was average. The view was of Dunnes Stores and a bunch of fields. Our waitress was nice though she did forget about our desserts...

As for the room, this was a decent enough size and had both a double and a single room. It was contemporary and clean, with tea and coffee making facilities. Terrible view of the Dunnes Stores again. Nice toiletries in the bathroom, and there was a hairdryer and a travel iron in the wardrobe. Nothing to complain about, but nothing that stood out or impressed, either.

I was surprised that this is a 4 star hotel, but I suppose it does have all the amenities (there's a pool and a gym too). It's just that the place seemed to have absolutely no character whatsoever. Fine for business, not so good for pleasure...

Very disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member C200

The Talbot was such a disappointment. We were staying for two nights b & b and one evening meal. We arrived at reception to a not very friendly welcome. We got to our room and there was no remote control for the television. I went to reception to request one and it did arrive quickly to be fair.

We had our evening meal in the restaurant the first night. Food was really nice, most of the staff were friendly, however, the air conditioning seemed to be on and I couldn't wait to get out to somewhere warmer. We went to the bar and the air conditioning was on there too. It was December, surely no need to have it on! We left the bar after half an hour, the cold was too much.

The next day we put the please service my room sign on the door. The room two doors up from us was being serviced when we left our room. We returned that evening and the room had not been serviced. When I asked at Reception the answer I was given was that we had do not disturb on the door earlier that morning which we had. When I pointed out the room up the corridor was being done when please service my room was on our door, I got no great response. I asked for a clean set of towels and this took over an hour to be delivered to my room.

Our room was clean but was by no means warm. I had the radiator at full however it seemed to be on a timer and switched on and off. Not very helpful for drying wet swimming gear or for warming the room.

The second night, with jumpers and coats, we ventured to the bar again. It was messy with spills not being mopped up, salt and pepper and even cutlery was left on some of the tables in the bar. The table I was sitting at had lettuce on it and chips on the floor. The toilets were messy too.

The swimming pool was also fairly cold....they don't seem to like putting the heating on in the Talbot! The other facilities were fine though.

When we were checking out, the receptionist just told me how much the bill was, we weren't even asked if we enjoyed our stay!

All in all, the Talbot was a hugh disappointment to us. We have stayed
in three star hotels that were ten times better than here. We won't be
going back

The lion and I, Joe's Chinese Restaurant, CarlowThe lion and I, Joe's Chinese Restaurant, Carlow

A little sneak at the inside of the shop!A little sneak at the inside of the shop!

milfordmilford