Shannon to Limerick road, Bunratty, County Clare, Ireland

Hotels.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 33% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• Bunratty Castle Hotel

We stayed here and based out of this hotel at the end of our stay in Ireland. We were given the farthest possible room from the front door (I was using a cane for my knee). While the room was quiet, it was supposed to be non smoking. It smelled of smoke. My major complaint with this establishment is the weddings, sometimes more than one a day. All the receptions take place in THE LOBBY. This makes is nearly impossible to get in the front door to the lifts to one's room, or conversely out the lifts to the front door. Wi-Fi rarely worked in the room, and because of the weddings, there was no area downstairs that was occupied one could be.

This was quite frustrating and even though I paid to be here, I felt as though I was intruding. I won't stay here again. It is way to busy and they're primary business is not their guests, but the weddings and events that they hold.

Bunratty is great for basing out of to see The Burden, and much of southwestern Ireland, easily Galway, the Cliffs of Mohr, Shannon airport, and of course Bunratty Castle are close by. Cork was just a two hour drive or so by motorway.

Connor at The Creamery will give excellent lessons in whiskey tasting, and Dirty Nellie's had good seafood.

Unique Quality: Full Irish breakfast is included with the stay
    Have a spa, but we did not use it

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

A view of the Castle

As you can see from photo 5, the hotel was literally across the street from the Castle which you can see past the trees in the center of the photo. The room had a TV, a luggage rack, wardrobe, ironing board, mirrors and shutter type windows which folded out. My grandson gave me heart palpatations leaning out the window to take pictures. He was intrigued by the heated towel racks which he had not seen before.

We had free wi-fi in the room which was excellent.

The toilet in our room stopped up the afternoon of the first day, and they moved us next door. They were wisking us out so quickly that they took my shoes which I had taken off, so I walked to the new room in my bare feet (which were still swollen which was why I didn't have socks on). I also left my nightgown on the back of the bathroom door, but they recovered it for me.

The breakfast each morning, consisted of eggs, fries, tomatoes, black pudding, mushrooms, toast, cereal, milk, juice, tea coffee.

Unique Quality: I do not know exactly how much we paid but normal rack rates for a room including breakfast at the time we stayed there was €90.00 each.

My grandson took several photos of the hallway, which he thought was like the one in the movie "The Shining".

We walked over to the Folk Park. I had a cane with a seat, and I sat down to rest at the end of the driveway. The cane slipped out from under me and dumped me on the ground. I took photo 4 from where I was sitting on the sidewalk before I got up. Photos one and three were taken by my grandson.

Directions: From Airport, 1st roundabout - 1st exit onto Airport Road – N19
    At next roundabout take 2nd exit onto the N19
    Shannon town roundabout take 2nd exit on to N19
    Next roundabout take 3rd exit, then merge onto N18
    Take first exit off N18 to Bunratty Castle

More about Bunratty Castle Hotel

Elegant Dining in the Bunratty Castle Hotel

by grandmaR about Round Room Restaurant

We didn't want a fancy restaurant because we were so tired from our trip, so we never ate here. The hotel caters to a lot of weddings, so they may occasionally take up this restaurant. The website says "Our Round Room Restaurant which offers an excellent range of modern Irish cuisine, all carefully prepared by our Brigade of Chefs who takes full advantage of our areas superb local produce to create our cuisine. Wines selected from around the world combine to make a truly enjoyable experience and one to be savoured.

Irish Breakfast

by grandmaR about Bunratty Castle Hotel

The tour offered a 'full Irish breakfast" each morning.

At Bunratty, this consisted of a base of scrambled eggs and what they called bacon, but we would call Canadian bacon or ham. I tried to stay away from the salty meats because of the swelling in my ankles, but I ate the eggs. To earn the title of a "full breakfast" a number of other ingredients are expected. In this case, we had

* toast
* sausages
* grilled tomatoes
* fried mushrooms
* black pudding
* baked beans
* sautéd potatoes
* condiments such as brown sauce and ketchup

There was also cheese, cereal (hot and cold), apples and bananas, sweet rolls, bread rolls, butter and jam, juice and milk accompanied by tea or coffee

In the Bunratty Castle Hotel

by grandmaR about Kathleen's Bar

We didn't (or at least I didn't) want to eat dinner in a fancy place, so we went to Kathleen's Bar. I got a cranberry juice for €2.40, and my grandson's coke was the same price.

He had the handcut 8 oz cheeseburger, bacon, salad and chips (fries) for €14.50. He wanted catsup, but I didn't think to ask for it and don't know if we could have gotten it anyway They did give him some kind of steak sauce. He didn't like the cheddar cheese on the hamburger.

I had a steak sandwich (€12.95) on toasted foccacia, salad and jacket potato and the steak was tough. But it was too much for me to eat, so we didn't get any of the desserts which looked good albeit expensive at €5.50 each. They had carmelized lemon tart with creme fraiche, bread and butter pudding with ice cream, chocolate brownie with fresh cream, and vanilla ice cream with butterscotch sauce.

My grandson took my camera and stood on a bench to get a birds eye view of the table. The bill before tip was €32.25, which I thought was quite expensive for a couple of sandwiches and a coke and juice.

Near Bunratty Castle

by geekgrrl about Manderley B&B

This B&B was as pleasant as most of the ones we stayed in. It did have one of the larger bedrooms, but since there were 3 of us, that came as no surprise. It was quite close to Bunratty Castle and we had dinner at Durty Nelly’s.

a lovely B&B

by kathycollins about Bunratty Lodge

Bunratty Lodge is a lovely B&B hosted by the Browne family. It is tastefully furnished, comfortable and near to Bunratty Castle. Reservations are needed because it always books up! Convenient to Shannon airport for first and last days of your visit. By the way, try to get your air reservations for leaving later in the morning - we had to catch a 7am flight - with the 2 hours required before international air travel and a half hour for returning the rental car, we had to leave our B&B at 4:30 am - and missed our breakfast -one of the highlights of the B&B experience! Fortunately, Mrs Browne fixed a light snack the night before so we had something to eat before our long day traveling home!

Warm Welcomes and Remembered Faces

by nynaeve1723 about Ashgrove House Bed and Breakfast

We have stayed with Frank and Sheila Tiernan on both trips to Ireland and will be staying with them again on our next trip. The Tiernans are welcoming and conscientious hosts. Being close to Shannon Airport, they accept visitors earlier than the usual check-in for those travelers arriving bleary-eyed after long flights. The rooms are cosy, pleasantly decorated and well-stocked. The entire house is a model of cleanliness and the Tiernans are wonderfully helpful, from carrying in luggage, to making reservations for guests at the Bunratty evening banquet to even providing wake-up reminders after that much needed refresher nap. Nights are quiet and peaceful and breakfasts are hearty and delicious. In the Bunratty area this is the only place we would stay and we recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in that area! The proximity to Bunratty Castle, Bunratty Folk Park and Durty Nellie's Pub make this location ideal. You are barely 5 minutes from a major highway, yet the surroundings are so tranquil you feel a million miles from the everyday world. Ashgrove House is also a nice touring base for County Clare.

accomodation in Limerick

by Mandy23 about South Court Hotel ****

We arrived at Shannon Airport and our first accomodation was the 'South Court Hotel' in Limerick.

Areas Served: Shannon Airport SNN 17 km, Bunratty Castle and Folk Park 12 km, Cliffs of Moher 40 km etc. 124 rooms, 3 floors, restaurant, Irish pub with live entertainment, leisure center, ...

B&B rate: Special offers of 2 nights plus dinner one night from £94 pps (euros 119.38).

Bunratty B&B

by Coombsie about Park House

This was our last night in Ireland. The house was beautiful, and a 5 minute drive to Durty Nelly's. Another 15 minutes to Shannon Airport.

The house was very comfortable, but the outlets in the room didn't work. We were only there to sleep, so it didn't effect us very much. It was well situated, close to Bunratty Castle, and not to far from the airport.

Bunratty Castle

by illumina

My Dad did a tour of Ireland in the fifties, backpacking all around the coast. He camped for one night in the grounds of Bunratty Castle; so when I visited Ireland with university in 1998, I was very happy to be able to visit one of the places he had been to.

Bunratty Castle Hotel - main entranceBunratty Castle Hotel - main entrance

Bunratty Castle visits

by niviniv

How much time should I take for visiting the castle and the park?

by annamantere

couple of hours, I think 2 hours is enough. Remember to visit the pub next to the castle, it´s very famous in Ireland. I think it´s called dirty Nellies, but I might be wrong.

by Ash59

Depends upon what you want to see in the park. We spent most of the day there but we do tend to look into every nook and cranny.

If it is just the castle that you are interested in, then a couple of hours will be ample - but this would not make the entrance fee worth paying.

See my bunratty castle page for details.

Regards

Andy

Re: Re: Bunratty Castle visits

by orlikins

1/2 day is enough. It's just a massive kitschy tourist rip-off joint, dont say i didnt warn you :)

Orla

Re: Re: Bunratty Castle visits

by Lochlainn

About 3 nanoseconds should do it.

by Pawtuxet

We did a fairly brief run through...and had lunch at Durty Nellie's next door. Nice into when you first arrive in Ireland. Sort of traditional for tourists. Many more castles to follow...allow more time for those...as well as the marvelous, congenial people of Ireland....which is where the culture resides. Have fun!

by Celticfawn

Depending on how many other tourists are there - would say at least 2 hours. Do go to all the towers in the castle - the library at the top of one of them is very interesting.

The village can be an overly "tourist' thing - OR it can be a delight. If all you want to do is buy the souvenirs - well you can do that anywhere but if you really look at the individual homes and you are lucky enough to be there when they are baking bread, or thatching a roof, or you can see them weaving - well it may be touristy but really would be difficult to see these things anywhere else (at least conveniently) The old printing shop is interesting too. It is a nice walk up to the deer park and the little Church of Ireland church on the grounds. Wouldn't bother seeing the mansion house though.

They have created so beautifully life the way it was and I do love looking in all the nooks and crannys and seeing things like the hidden trundle beds and imagining how it was for our ancestors who came from Ireland.

And you can have a Guinness at Mac's and watch the donkey cart give rides. (this may be touristy but we saw one in Sligo much like it that was used for real)

by luapnordlaw

Stay in County Clare, visit for just one day in Bunratty (the castle and folk park ) then head for nearby Ennis and the Burren. Just outside Ballyvaughan, stay in a fabulous guesthouse called Drumcreehy House, overlooking the bay.
(www.drumcreehyhouse.com)