Clonmoney West, Bunratty, County Clare, Ireland
Expedia.com Travelocity

More about Bunratty

A thatched house in the folk villageA thatched house in the folk village

Bunratty Folk Park VillageBunratty Folk Park Village

Adare - just 15 km from BunrattyAdare - just 15 km from Bunratty

Askeaton friary - just a few km from BunrattyAskeaton friary - just a few km from Bunratty

Travel Tips for Bunratty

Interior Decoration

by grandmaR

The Folk Park has over 30 buildings in a ‘living’ village and rural setting. We did not get to visit all of them, and unfortunately without the brochure that we got (it is still packed), I don't know which one is which, but they had some common elements.

All of them had some kind of fireplace, a bed or beds, and hutch or a similar piece of furniture to hold crockery and other such items. Among the buildings are the Shannon Farmhouse which was the first farmhouse to be reconstructed on the site. It wse was removed from where it originally stood on the site of a runway at Shannon Airport.

Other farmouses include the Loop Head Farmhouse of small fisher –farming folk, the Cashen Fisherman’s House with a floor of rammed clay, the Mountain Farmhouse with a loft for extra sleeping space, the Byre Dwelling from County Mayo with a pigsty nearby. and Bothan Scóir, a one roomed dwelling of a poor landless labourer.

Walking into these small homes was very interesting.

Bunratty Castle

by Ash59

The best room in the Castle (I think) is the South Solar and is a guest apartment. The ceiling is partially a replica, in Tudor style. At the end of the room, you can see a painting. This is an original from 1661 and is signed “Jacobus White, Londoni” (Not a mis-spelling!)

Bunratty Castle Folk Park

by Ash59

Almost all of the individual houses have a peat fire going. If you are asthmatic, beware! Be warned that not all of the smoke from these fires always goes up the chimney. There was more smoke coming out of the front door than the chimney in one house that we went into!

...the world wont wait...

by stephaniejune27

"day 1. medieval castle dinner."

we landed at 6:30 am, and drove immediately to our hotel, and all crashed. we went to bunratty village, and unfortunately i do not have much documentation of my first day and a half in ireland because 1) i ruined my first roll of film in my regular camera. and 2)i lost my 64mb memory card for my digital camera... its somewhere in the ocean by the cliffs of moher.

we stayed at bunratty fitzpatricks. it was in walking distance to bunratty castle where we had our medieval dinner. we were in a group of 10, and the other 100 guests all belonged to some other college.

the entertainment was excellent, singing, jokes, medieval stuff.

being under 21 when i went on this trip, i was super excited to be able to sit in a pub and get me a beer. we had our first drinks at a pub called the creamery. nothing special. but what was that taste? underage freedom!

"the random people you see"

its been kind of a joke with my friends from home that no matter where you take me i will always find someone i know somehow. i have 3 siblings, so in our small town the connections are endless, i will always find someone who i know through my siblings or whatev.

so walking out of bunratty castle all i hear is someone yelling my name. it was a girl i had not seen since 8th grade and i dont even know.... it was absolutely strange and great all at once. its funny how much of a small world it really can be!

Comments