We booked Lui Greine for the April bank holiday weekend (4 nights) and had to run out of it after one night. We tried to grin and bear the standard of the property but the sheer sub standard of the property, we eventually had to leave. Below are some of the key issues we had:
• Mouse & bird excrement – Throughout the kitchen and sitting room we found countless pieces of excrement. One on the kitchen worktop was particularly big and showed that it wasn’t even slightly cleaned before being let out. Any form of walk around would have seen these and gives an insight into the condition of the property.
• Impossible to heat - even with the night time temperature of 8 degrees, it was freezing. Oil central heating is useless, only heats the bedroom. Owner charges oil at €1.20 a litre, takes about two litres an hour to run heater, therefore €4.80 for two hours heating.
• Open fire doesn’t work – The chimney is too small or blocked which means the majority of smoke goes back into sitting room.
• Cobwebs in grill – Shows the level of care given to the property in terms of cleaning and preparation for a rental.
• Old towels and bed lined. While we are in no way fussy, they were cheap and look about 10 years old.
• Kitchen was in no way modern and is filthy, not just the open surfaces but everywhere
• Owner charged our credit card the day we reserved it despite us not authorising it.
• Photos are well taken and don’t think for a second this is what you’ll get.
• Sky TV – This is misleading. It’s just normal terrestrial TV via a Sky box.
• No Dishwasher as advertised.
• Smoke alarms left open with no batteries
• Cutting the grass outside is not a landscaped garden!
Upon asking the owner to move us to another of his properties which we had rented before, he became offensive and threatening. My wife who originally called him made the point that the place was not fit for a woman who is 4 months pregnant. His response was that he did not care and smugly kept saying, he had our money already and what we are going to do about it now.
He said if we wanted to move to the other property, we would have to pay again, despite originally saying we couldn’t do it as he lives 3 hours away. We also gave him no authorisation to charge our card before our stay. Eventually he hung up the phone and refused to address the problem. His approach to the whole call was to avoid addressing it and to raise his voice in a threatening manner. At no point did we raise our voices or become obstructive throughout the conversation.
In short I would not recommend booking here or another property that this owner has. He was deliberately suggestive in his threats to a pregnant woman. He uses illegal methods to collect the money and should not be allowed to operate. After the event, we spoke to people in Fanore and this apparently is not the first complaint they have heard about him. We ended up saving the holiday by getting somewhere in Doolin. It’s a little disappointing that in this day there are rogue owners operating, especially given the promotional activity of Tourism Ireland for us to staycation.
We recently spend a week in the Burren in County Clare. We had a self catering house in Fanore overlooking the Atlantic and Galway. We were in the middle of the Burren. The Burren is a huge rock area in West Clare. This is a walkers paradise. We even took a guided walking tour. The guides name was Tony Kirby and he was a mind of information on the area. He had just published a book about the Burren.
The house was fully equipped with everything required for a family of four. The local shop had everything we needed from day to day (mile, bread, etc). There was also plenty of room for the barbeque.
The house was spacious with all mod cons.
We could come and go as we wished.
Private secure parking.
I was like a home away from home.
The weather was fabulous, which always helps.
The view from the house over Galway Bay has to be the best I have ever enjoyed.
In the Burren you normally won't find a ground without rocks, but there is a great camping-site in Doolin, almost totally flat and covered by grass ! This campingsite is directely at the (rocky) beach/cliffs and not far from all the great music-pubs in Doolin.Next to the camping-site you may play Golf on a 18 Hole Pitch and Putt course .
Nagle's Doolin Camping and Caravan Park,
in Doolin Co. Clare / Ireland.
is open between May 1st and September 30th
their shop is open from June 1st to August 31st
The ferry to the Aran-Islands is leaving in just a short distance of maybe 200 meters and the village of Doolin with all the great music-pubs is not much further. I spent a few days there, while I explored the Aran Islands and the Burren and enjoyed it a lot !
I stayed once in this B&B.
The en-suite room was very nice, spacious, clean, warm.
The breakfast was very good and people who run the B&B very nice.
It's a mile or 2 from Cliffs of Moher.
It's good to stay close to them because you never know what the weather will be like. If you are somewhere arround and the weather turns nice, you can easily go.
There were 7 of us and the best option was to find a 7-bed room in a hostel.
I called instead of booking on Internet and it was good since the person who answered did her best to find the cheapest option for us.
Sleepzone has just opened (few months before).
The room was OK with private bathroom. It was clean.
There is a free internet cnnection, but if you don't have your own notebook, you can use their. If there are people queuing for it, everyone can use it 15 minutes, otherwise, you can use it as long as you want.
The stuff is very kind and helpfull.
A free breakfast was included (butter, marmelade, cereals, tea, coffee).
It is close to the Cliffs of Moher.
If you would like to have a hassle-free cycling holiday, you don't have to organise your accommodation for yourself. West Ireland Cycling can take care of all of this for you. Simply let them know what part of the Burren you would like to visit and what sort of accommodation you would prefer (Hotel, B&B, Guesthouse, Hostel etc) and they will get you the best accommodation at the best rates in the best locations.
This I can recommend to you for the evening e.g.......always good to end a day in Ireland with visiting a nice pub and wgen there is life music.....it is even better......
This was a perfect place for a quiet stay!
The management is in the hands of: Susan & Thomas McInerney and they will pamper you.....
Breakfast was great and....chic!
Outstanding service.........a real surprise!
I can fully recommend this place to you....
ATTRACTIONS IN THE AREA:
The cliffs of Moher
The Burren National Park
The Aran Island
Several other alluring things......
Sort by: Most recent | Most helpful