Fisher Street, The Burren, Ireland

More about Sea View House

Great, comfortable B&B

by TripAdvisor Member thej

Ask for one of the front guestrooms – let me say that first. We stayed 4 nights at Sea View House in early September. When we first arrived, I killed the car’s engine trying to drive up the steep driveway, but I soon learned the knack to get the car to the top. We hauled our bags up the 15 or so v-e-r-y steep steps to the guest entrance where Darra greeted us. She showed us our room, the breakfast room and the sitting area. Our room was clean and comfortable with a fabulous view of the main street of Doolin and, yes, the sea. We could watch the pony trekkers ride right down the main street and up past the B&B. It is close enough to walk down to the pub or shops or a little bit farther up to other pubs and restaurants. There is a tv, radio, and Darra has thoughtfully left books and magazines in the rooms. There is a little patio area outside the front door which would be a nice place to sit outside with a view of Doolin and the sea.
I have read reviews saying Darra seemed cold and standoffish. Our first impression was she was polite but all business. However, she recommended activities and restaurants to us, gave directions and even made reservations. She is a busy mom, as well, but when she did stop for a minute we found her to be warm and friendly and a lovely woman.
Breakfast was great – good food and plenty of it. The views from the breakfast room and the sitting room are great. Darra appeared to have a full house the entire time we were there. Darra had asked us in advance if we would move to a back room on our last night there which we did. The room was very comfortable but right out the window was the hillside which had been carved out for the house.
I would recommend Sea View House and would stay there again myself next time I am in that area.

One Night Was Enough

by TripAdvisor Member dustynhappy

I noticed that the reviews for this B&B were a bit mixed, but they looked mostly positive, so we booked a night. Our experience was not pleasant. We arrived at three rather than two, as we has said we would. No one was there and no note was left. This was an inconvenience, as the stairs to the visitors entrance is around the house and up a long, daunting flight of steep stairs. We lugged our suitcases up and then down, left a note and number and took off for the cliffs. A note with "out, back soon" would have been appreciated. Upon our return, we brought our luggage up again and were greeted briskly and cooly by Darra. We mentioned the beauty of the cliffs and were put off by her rather passionate and prolonged description of "stupid tourists" who "go too close to the edge". We hinted for a much desired cup of tea and were told there was a place down the road where we might get one. There were no tea things in the room (which was average for the price). However, ours was the room with the lovely view, and we were grateful to get that. Darra was business-like; leave your breakfast orders the night before, no idle chit-chat. The breakfast was fine. There was no chance of our being late, as the alarm, which we had not set, went off with low static at 8 a.m. My husband lost his footing going back down the front stairs and came close to an accident. We would have appreciated an offer of help from Darra's young husband. At this point, we were jealous of the short, flat access to the family's private quarters. We saw many lovely accommodations all along the roads surrounding Doolin and will try one of these on our next visit. After wonderful stays in B&Bs around County Galway and County Clare, we were disappointed in our night at The Sea View House. It is clear that others had a wonderful time there. Perhaps we just came in on a bad day.

Sea View has it all

by TripAdvisor Member TR-Huntley

Having just finished my third stay at Seaview House, I must say that I am confused by some of the whining reviews listed on this site. Seaview has it all--easy walking distance to all 4 pubs in town, to shopping, to the seacoast, to an ancient Norman castle, to the bus taking you to the spectacular Doolin Cave, to Internet access.... I could go on and on. There is a spectacular postcard-like view of this lovely town from the front steps, as well as a great view of the Aille River and the Atlantic Ocean, and ancient castle ruins punctuate the beautiful rolling hillside, easily visible from your room window. Yes, you have to know how to drive a car in order to get up the steep drive to the small car park. Yes, you have to be able to climb a few steep stairs to get to the front door. Yes, you should be polite enough to let Darra know when you will arrive in the afternoon so that she can arrange to pick her lovely children up from school. If you cannot meet those conditions, then perhaps you should look elsewhere for a stay, for I would hate to sit next to your scowling face at breakfast in the beautiful dining room, where I have always found the food excellent and the conversation friendly and lively. Darra is a wonderful hostess and has always been quick to bring a tea service tray (complete with treats and an electric teapot) to my room at my request. If you would like to sit in the cozy parlor, she will be quick to light a turf fire for you if you wish. If you want to drive the countryside, she is quick to provide directions and advice to see to it that your stay is pleasant. If you need help booking your next night elswewhere in Ireland, Darra is quick to pick up the phone and arrange things for you. Having driven the length and breadth of Ireland over the past 3 years, I can think of no B&Bs where I had a more pleasant time than at Seaview House.
Tom Kerth (USA)

Excellent location for Cliffs of Mohr

by TripAdvisor Member MikeCleveland

My wife and I stayed at the Seaview house in June 2006 during our honeymoon. It is a very nice B&B and located very close to the Cliffs of Mohr. Doolin is an easy drive from Shannon airport and this makes for an excellent first night stay. Excellent views of the sea. Walking distance to local pub. The picture included is the view from the front of the B&B porch to the ocean.

Loved this Bed and Breakfast

by TripAdvisor Member KatrinaGlensFalls

If you're going to stay in Doolin, this is the place to stay. It is across the street (and river) from Gus O'Connor's pub, known far and wide for its traditional Irish music and great pub food. We stayed at Darra Hughes' Sea View bed and breakfast for only one night but it was very memorable. She was an excellent host, giving us advice on jet lag, suggesting where to eat and what to do while in town and sharing some interesting stories of growing up in the little seacoast town of Doolin. In the morning, we were treated to a wonderful Irish breakfast served by Darra herself and were sent on our way with ideas for touring the Burren. Her house is lovely and impeccably clean. The bedrooms are bright and very tastefully decorated too.

Absolutely Perfect!

by TripAdvisor Member ctgirlingermany

We arrived in Doolin at 6 pm on a Friday night. After stopping in a few B&Bs, we decided to try the Sea View House. We were immediately impressed!
Darra´s husband (yes, I am ashamed that I do not remember his name,) welcomed us immediately into the lovely sitting room, and provided us with a number of helpful hints for spending our night in Doolin. He also immediately helped me with my suitcase up the stairs when he saw my struggling, which was the first time this happened during my 6 days in Ireland.
The room was beautiful and the house is tastefully decorated. It was so wonderful to hear the ocean waves at night.
The location was incredible, and when you´re exhausted from a great night at O´Connors, it is a quick walk back to your hotel.
Breakfast was delicious, and Darra was only a little upset that we had missed the "leave a note with your breakfast request," but it was really not a problem.
When we left, again, we were provided with a variety of useful tips on how to return to Cork.
I absolutely loved this B&B and it is on my list of definite places to stay next time I´m in Ireland!

Everything We Hoped For!

by TripAdvisor Member rmmgb

We stayed in Doolin at the Sea View House for 5 nights. We toured the countyside by day and dined in the local pubs and restaurants at night. The countryside is breathtakingly beautiful, even better than we imagined, but the Irish people are outstanding, friendly and you really feel that they are glad you came to visit.

The Hughes family's B & B is located high on the side of a hill overlooking the small, quaint town of Doolin and the ocean beyond. The rooms are bright, colorful and comfortable. The breakfasts' are served in a beautiful, well appointed dinningroom, and they were delicious! Doolin and the Seaview House are top notch in all areas. Darra, our hostess, was so open, friendly and helpful, that when we left, I gave her a big hug like she was one of my friends that I would not be seeing in a while.

We are well traveled throughout the U.S. and Europe, but this was definetly the most wonderful experience and as we took off from Shannon, my husband said, "I am sad to leave Ireland, I don't want to go." For my part, I was already thinking about my next trip back!

Maureen & Robert Bourke

Doolin is a great part of the world

by TripAdvisor Member oz33

Nice place to stay with great views from the front of the house and nice breakfast on offer. The only thing lacking were tea and coffee making facilities in the bedrooms as there were none in the lounge for free use and the really step and awkward stairs to the front door
Thanks for your great hospitality..

Great location and Great B and B

by TripAdvisor Member BandBTourist

We stayed in May 2007 - Superb location - Walk to the village and the
pubs (excellent meals, but very crowded). The building is new, purpose-built, in very good condition - very clean, quiet and well maintained. Rooms are spacious and have great views. Darra is a fine host. As a multi-generational local, she seems to know just about everything about the area, and we found her advice on local tours to be first rate. Would definitely stay here again.

Beautiful location

by TripAdvisor Member Diggyfamily

The Inn is situated in a near perfect spot overlooking Doolin with views of the water. Our room was very clean. Breakfast was good and the conversation with the other guests enjoyable. The only real improvement to this lovely Inn would be a morning coffee service and an afternoon tea.

The BurrenThe Burren