Galway Road, Ennis, County Clare, Ireland

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Bursland's Profile Photo

Peaceful haven in County Clare

We stayed at the Auburn Lodge for 3 nights in late April .The hotel rooms are in low rise blocks that extend for some distance from reception .Our room was spacious with a large bed and was well kept by housekeeping.We ate in the hotel restaurant on 2 occasions and although the menu is not extensive the food was excellent along with the service .The bar is very lively with a good food menu and there was entertainment every evening we were there.The location of the hotel just ouside Ennis on the road to Galway,is a good base for exploring the west coast of Ireland .The town centre is just too far for a comfortable walk but we had no trouble parking in the town.I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone

Directions: Located on the main road from Limerick to Galway N18 .Approx 25 Kms from Shannon Airport .The hotel is about 3Kms beyond Ennis town centre

More about Auburn Lodge Hotel

Misleading website - nothing special

by TripAdvisor Member Gerite

Having looked on the hotels website, which portrayed clean modern rooms, I decided to book a weekend at the Auburn Lodge hotel.

Firstly the receptionist gave me a glaring look when I walked in the door and issued me with my key - not so much as an enjoy your stay! Not the welcome one would expect as a paying guest. Bring Irish I am well familiar with this type of service - how I pitied the Americans and Germans arriving at the same time as myself.

There was no lift, so I struggled up the stairs with my suitcase meeting a porter half way up, who when I asked about lifts, just said there is none and walked past me. Chivalry is dead in Ennis.

The room was clean and the bed seemed comfortable - decor wise the bathroom however was horrific! Mustard flowery tiles that were simply vomit educing greeted me when I opened the door. NOTHING what indicated on the hotel website.

As I was staying for the weekend I called the duty manager and to his credit came to my room within 5 mins to offer me an alternative room. He explained that the website shows the newer (and Smaller) wing of the hotel which was fully booked.

I then moved to an alternative room on the ground floor and although there was still more than a touch of the 80's about it, was a big improvement. Only issue was the bed was very uncomfortable and hot water pipes which circled the room made it seem like a sauna.

The Restaurant is worth avoiding with its bland and old fashioned dinner menu.

The Breakfast was very poor served on a crowded drab room, only toast - no other breads, 2 choices of cereal, and eggs could not be ordered to your liking - one had to be satisfied with scrambled eggs which judging by their colour were prepared with egg power.

The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that there is a nice new pool and beauty rooms. Enough for a return visit...
certainly not.

Not Great!

by TripAdvisor Member RitaMcD

My colleague and I stayed in this Hotel recently. The staff were cold and unwelcoming - not the Irish Welcome that I expected!!! There was a terrible stale smell in the corridors and the food was just terrible. I would not reccomend this Hotel to any Corporate guest or tourist. The Hotel was also full with coach groups of old people. I will get old sometime myself but it did feel that we were in a retirement home.

Very Average

by TripAdvisor Member Dublin_Traveller_06

We stayed here for the May bank holiday weekend. The photos on the website and the candid visitor photos on Tripadvisor are of the newer wing of the hotel. The older rooms, in which we stayed, are much more dated and nothing like as nice although we found the beds comfortable and the room adequate. We were told that we would have to pay €25 more per night to stay in the new wing and as we were only using the hotel as a base, it wasn't worth it for us. If you are planning on spending some time in the hotel, I would definitely recommend staying in that wing.

The new leisure centre and beauty salon are lovely (website photos accurate in that regard) and the girls working in that section were very friendly and helpful. The service in the rest of the hotel is a bit hit and miss and not always the most friendly and this hotel would benefit enormously from training their staff better in this regard.

We had a deal which included two evening meals which were surprisingly good. All in all our package was quite good value (provided you didn't intend to spend too much time in the hotel) and it would have cost is the same or more to have stayed in a B&B and gone out for dinner. Personally I wouldn't go back, certainly not to the old wing, but its not a bad cheap choice.

Below average

by TripAdvisor Member Frequenttraveller4

This hotel might be a 3 star hotel, but it only merits 2 stars. We stayed for three nights in May and have very little positive feedback to give on the hotel. Your experience at this hotel seems dependent upon whether you get a room in the new wing or not. We didn't.
We stayed in an older room upstairs (no lift and no porter as an earlier reviewer mentioned). There was a dank, musty smell in the corridors disguised with air freshener. Unpleasant.
The room itself was a good size but the decor was dark and dated. The beds were lumpy and the heating pipes circling the room (constantly on at full blast) made it feel like a sauna. We asked Reception to see if they could turn off the heating but no response other than a "I'll see what I can do but I don't think I can do anything" was received.
The paint on the bathroom walls was flaky and there was hair in the bath on arrival. There was very little in the way of bathroom provisions (which is fine, it is a 3 star) but what was there when we arrived (soap and shower caps) was not replenished but was taken away by the cleaning staff.
The room keys also didn't always work which meant traipsing down to reception to change them (and to and fro when this wasn't satisfactorily resolved). We ended up with a number of keys, only some of which worked.
The breakfast was likewise poor. The eggs are to be avoided - powdered eggs with a watery consistency. The toast was less toast than hot bread. The rest was ok - fried fare of the traditional variety.
The staff seemed to have no interest in any kind of customer service (other than a very nice bar man who looked after us very well in the bar).
Finally, the leisure centre's sauna and steam room were marked "out of order" with no indication of when they would re-open.
We had a really great time in Clare but we won't be returning to this hotel.

Not great

by TripAdvisor Member LizzyKav

Don't stay here if you are looking for any sort of luxury. The hotel is really basic and although the evening meal was ok the breakfasts are not good. Ok selection but the cooked food was not nice and tasted like it had been reheated.
We were at the very far end of the hotel and the noise was terrible. We asked to be moved because of this and also the smell of smoke but we were told the hotel was full. Not sure if it was or not. The bar is nice and good music is played in it but I would not stay here again.

Terrible experience at this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member craniusmaximus

I stayed at this hotel this past Thursday with my seven year old son, on the way to Shannon airport; one of the reasons we chose the hotel was the pool. We arrived around 18:30, after a three hour journey through lots of traffice from Westport. When we checked in, I asked if we could use the pool, and was told, 'sure'. We went directly to the pool to check it out, only to be told that children under 12 are not allowed in the pool after 18:00, in order for members to use it. My son was devastated, as was I. When I complained at the front desk, the woman working there did not care at all that we were upset. I told her the hotel's website didn't mention the fact that children weren't allowed in the pool, and she argued with me that it did - I checked when I got back home, and it doesn't. We then went to our room, (in the old section of the hotel), and found that the bathroom floor had hair on it, the bathroom sink hadn't been cleaned, and there was a general strange smell in the room. We decided to go out and look for a place to eat, but being on my own in a strange town with my young son, I wasn't comfortable driving around looking for a place to eat. We ended up in the pub/restaurant attached to the hotel, where there was one (very slow) waitress for the whole pub, and our dinner - a chicken curry, Club lemonade, club sandwich and a glass of wine - cost 29 Euro! The breakfast was equally horrid, with powdered eggs and cold bacon. Overall, a nasty experience, one I would caution all travelers to avoid - unhelpful, uncaring staff, and a dirty hotel.

Fantastic Stay with Beautiful Food

by TripAdvisor Member jennyc1710

I had the opportunity to stay at the Auburn in Ennis in the last weekend of June, luckily the hotel were good enough to offer a supervalu rate upon request, as i know availability in Ennis at a deduced rate is difficult enough at the best of times. The hotel could be helpful enough even before we arrived over many different phone calls leading up to the stay itself. The rooms were only newly decorated and there was a lovely freshness about the hotel but yet i had a sense of aged maturity about it also. Some younger staff and some older staff but over all extremely attentive and appreciative of your business. The leisure centre was absolutely beautiful, i even spleshed out on a massage on aspecial offer of €35 (Terriffic Value dont you think)
We had our food on the friday evening after arriving thinking that if our meal wasn't up to much on that night that we could go down tomn on the saturday night. The restaurant was lovely and quaint with lovely low lights and very busy. We were so impressed with the standard of the menu and the food that we simply couldn't go passed it for the Saturday night also.
We checked out on the Sunday morning after a fantastic weekend. If i was to be critical and be devils advocate, the breakfast staff were under a little under pressure on Sunday morning but in fareness they remained more than helpfull throughout the duration of our stay. well done to the Auburn and we will nodoubt be returning

Stephen

desgusting

by TripAdvisor Member lolo57

i will amazed that hotel good hotel,staff are very friendly,room are little bit good,but i shock when the housing keeping supervisor is shouting with the staff i know that all here staff are from eastern europe.i asked one of the house keeper who's that name she told me (bierny or burny)she treated all her staff as slave.so make the onwner a sulotion to fire that supervisor she is degrading the hotel's name and also the owner.

Avoid if you can!

by TripAdvisor Member sueglasgow

The front of the hotel was shabby and there was litter around the car park. The reception was very dirty, very old and smelled of stale food. The walls leading to a dark dingy room had scuff marks on the walls. The room we were allocated smelled of stale smoke and the walls had scuff marks on them. We decided not to stay at he hotel and moved on to a clean and friendly b & b.

Comments