The Square, Ennis, County Clare, Ireland

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Rated 12% higher but also costs 46% more than other 3 star hotels

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Temple Gate

I did not stay here, but friends of mine did and they told me that it was probably the best hotel to stay in due to its fantastic location. It has very nicely finished room and a hall and reception area in what was once the towns Convent owned by the Sister of Mercy who have relocated to new buildings nearby.

• scubaphoto's Profile Photo

Central Location

Probably the best Hotel in the town, the only downside is it lack of swimming pool and fitness centre but its location right in the centre of town makes it an ideal place to stay no need for taxi’s after a night on the town.

Nicely finished room and a Hall and reception area in what was once the towns Convent owned by the Sister of Mercy who have relocated to new buildings nearby.

Unique Quality: Very professional staff, good bar food menu all day, as well as lunch time menu and separate dinning room. The bar is popular with both locals and guest alike and has been made even more inviting since the smoking ban came into effect in Ireland.

Directions: Just off the towns square, or if driving to the hotel by can it can be access from Clonroad if coming from Galway, Limerick or Shannon. Alternatively its' about a 5/10 minute walk from the bus and train station.

More about Temple Gate Hotel

Our 1st night B&B, in Ennis...

by danmcf about Sycamore House

This 1st B&B was recommended by Michelle @ Terry Flynn Tours (who arranged our car rental & non-Dublin accommodations).
We booked early, and when I tried re-confirming a week before departure I didn't get any response initially. Since this was the only B&B that didn't require a credit card # as deposit, and was our 1st night in Ireland - I was a bit concerned. No need though, Seamus did get in touch with me before our departure.

We were greeted graciously upon our very early arrival just after 9am. Not only was our room ready, but Seamus also offered us breakfast, though we declined. Jet lag wasn't getting to us so we decided to head right on out for the Cliffs of Moher. Couple unique qualities here, one mentioned above, and the other being that Seamus was the only male 'managing' a B&B (husband was around at a couple of others, but the 'lady of the house' was definitely in charge).
Plenty of parking, and our 1st 'Irish Breakfast' was so big, I couldn't finish it (I asked for smaller portions for all future 'Irish Breakfasts').

We were lucky to be in Ennis when some sort of Irish Dance Competition was going on at the Temple Gate Hotel. Stopped by to see some very talented young dancers that would give those "lord of the dance" pro's a run for their money.

The one disappointment my daughter had was that this was the only B&B without a hair dryer in the room.

Loved the hotel

by TripAdvisor Member DanielleDublin

My friends and I spent a very enjoyable weekend in the Temple Gate Hotel in January. Upon arrival we were greeted by the very friendly receptionists who couldn't have been more helpful. The ambiance was super, the food was delicious, in fact it was so good we ended up dining in the hotel restaurant for the entire weekend! The service was excellent and the rooms are very nice and spotless.

We have recommended the hotel to all of our friends in Dublin and we have all agreed that we will certainly be returning before the year is out.

Hard to find hotel, and a hard bed!

by TripAdvisor Member OhmMelody

The hotel itself is in a great location, perfect for strolling around the town. However, trying to find it from a parking perspective is next to impossible and intensely frustrating. The hotel would do well to email directions to their clients in advance.
The place itself seemed nice enough, but the bed was of a shockingly bad standard. It was hard, and the bed springs were very apparent an inch or so beneath the surface. When I phoned down to ask if all beds were the same, I was told yes. Subsequently, I received a call from a more senior person at reception, saying the suites had better beds and we could upgrade for an additional 30 euro. I said it was out of our budget and unless she felt like upgrading us we would have to stay put. I then asked about the WiFi access.
She informed me it is usually free, but ongoing upgrading work on the hotel had caused the connection to be cut. She then said cards for internet access could be purchased at reception.
This was really annoying as free WiFi access was one of the reasons we had chosen to stay there.
I said to her "well, we're not doing very well here are we?" and she had nothing to say.
As a public relations exercise, if I were in her shoes, I would have offered a free internet access card, as I'm sure it doesn't cost them that much.
Our night's sleep was absymal, small bed, horribly hard, mattress springs poking, hitting our hands on the bedside lockers.
Again I have to say, on foot, the location is really great, but finding the car park is like going in a search of a lost continent!
One interesting thing; it was my first time finding a note in a hotel bedroom inviting me to review them here on Tripadvisor! That is a very bold and confident thing to do, which made our experience all the more surprising. If all the beds in the standard rooms are like ours, they will surely be getting more reviews like mine. As in a school report, I have to say "full of enthusiasm, but lots of room for improvement"

Good hotel for business trips

by TripAdvisor Member outforoneortwo

I have always used this hotel whilst on business in Ennis - cant fault it really its eceptionally central, the rooms are well kept and all in all its a nice hotel. There are also some good restaurants nearby such as "The town hall" which is only a stones throw away.

A Great Break

by TripAdvisor Member DorsetGrandma

The Temple Gate is a charming hotel with exceptionally helpful and friendly staff. The meals we had in the restaurant were superb, and there was agood choice on the menu. The hearty breakfast is an ideal start to the day. The hotel is situated in the centre of Ennis, but is in a quiet position. The mid-week and weekend breaks are excellent value for money. We certainly hope to return.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member VenturerLondonDublin

My family and I stayed at this hotel last weekend and had a fantastic time. The atmosphere when you enter the reception area is amazing the recptionist couldnt have been more friendly and helpful if she tried (and not the fake friendly that they look as if its forced upon them).
The room was lovely, Comfortable, spotless and well equipped. WiFi was available in the hotel which was a bonus.
The food was delicious and the waitress was very efficent.
In the bar there was a lovely atmosphere with very enjoyable music.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling alone or with friends or family as it caters for all. It is in the centre of the town vut away from the hustle and bustle of the noise as its down this lovely archway off the main square .which is good as we didnt see much taxis in the area

Don't go there

by TripAdvisor Member Caroline1456

I stayed here for one night, I had booked four nights but cancelled once we had seen the hotel room. Firstly the room was dirty when we checked in, toe nails on floor, crumbs on carpet and all over the desk, cob webs on the ceiling and worst of all the toilet was dirty. I complained immediately and they cleaned the room.

The room had a lovely view of a dirty alley way which we later found out to be the back of a 24 hours supermarket, we were kept awake all night with the noise of reversing forklift trucks and supermarket announcements.

I am Irish, and I find this hotel standard to be an insult to other hotels in Irealnd, I found it expensive for what it was and I was not keeping my four month old baby in the dark dingy hotel any longer than necessary. I hope you don't have the same experience as us.

bad trip

by TripAdvisor Member kateNottingham

four of us ages 55 to 65 two couples, spent three nights at the templegate the rooms we were given were in need of decoration and the carpets were dirty, one lady in our party had a fall on a badly frayed carpet in the foyer .Nobody at the hotel seemed bothered.We were disappointed in our stay and would not return to the hotel or Ennis.We may be getting on but we like a good night life we did,nt find it in Ennis.

Comments