O'Connell St, Ennis, County Clare, Ireland

Expedia.com Travelocity Hotels.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• mvtouring's Profile Photo

Old Ground

Once again, we did not stay here, saw it when we visited the Cathedral so just popped in to see what it looked like.

More about The Old Ground

Hotel in Ennis

by Peter-S about Old Ground Hotel

There are a number of hotels in Ennis : http://ennishotels.ebookireland.com
The Old Ground is my favourite.
Food is excellent. It is in a central location. Perfect for touring County Clare.
Also convenient to Shannon Airport

Pricey, but OK

by TripAdvisor Member ClevelandOhio

My wife and I stayed at the Old Ground Hotel just 10 days ago. It's located right in the heart of Ennis, a lovely town with many independent shops, pubs and restaurants. The hotel was somewhat on the pricey side, but after a week of B&B's, we wanted a full-service hotel and we weren't at all disappointed. It's not a brand new Hyatt and shouldn't be judged on that criteria, but it delivered as promised. I'd recommend it without qualification.

Expensive compared to B&Bs but Very Nice!

by TripAdvisor Member cyndy1044

My husband and I stayed at The Old Ground Hotel for our last night in Ireland before flying out of Shannon Airport. We stayed at well priced B&Bs for the 9 previous nights so we were a little sticker shocked by the hotel rate, but we wanted to stay in the middle of town where all the action was. We were very happy with the accommodations and pleasantly surprised to see how updated our room was! We had elegent linens, plasma screen tv and an all marble bathroom (although the shower head was a little short for my husband!).
The hotel bar was also nice with plenty of seating and live music. Definitely made the walk to our room at the end of the night more convenient! If you want to stay in the middle of everything in downtown Ennis, then this place is great!

Really nice old fashioned hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Newbigging75

My girlfriend and I stayed just one night at The Old Ground and we both agree that it was easily the nicest place we stayed on our week long holiday in Ireland. It had an old fashioned charm which we liked. The bedroom was very big with 2 double beds with lovely crisp white sheets. The furnishings were very traditional with dark wood furniture and brass lamps. The bathroom was a good size, tastefully decorated and clean. All in all the room felt like it had a certain quality about it which made it feel a lot more special than your average modern hotel.

The staff were very friendly, efficient and helpful. When we arrived it was incredibly busy as It turned out that we'd booked at the same time as a giant group of people coming for a conference, but the staff still saw to us very quickly and gave us advice on where we could park our car (the conference group had already filled the car park but the hotel had the foresight to get permission to use the school next door as an overflow car park.)

Breakfast was good, not spectacular but probably above average.

All in all, when compared to our accommodation in Dublin and Galway, The Old Ground was not only the nicest of the hotels but also represented excellent value for money.

Really, the only shame was that it was a cold, wet evening and a lot of the restaurants in Ennis were closed for the winter. So, whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend visiting Ennis in November, I'd still recommend it as a good place to stop for the night if you want to spend a day driving around The Burren on your way to Galway, and The Old Ground is definitely the place to stay.

Loved it!

by TripAdvisor Member mma128

We stayed at the Old Ground based on other trip advisor reviews. We actually stopped at an internet cafe in Ennis to get a recommendation. We made the right choice. It was a little pricy, but that is the same with the majority of Irish hotels. It was in a fantastic location and the room was the second best we stayed at in Ireland (the first was the brand new Crowne Plaza at the airport in Dublin). We used the OG as a take off point to visit the cliffs (45 min drive) and Bunratty Castle. We had a fantastic stay. The front desk arranged dinner for us at the restaurant... it was my husband's favorite meal of the entire trip. Do try the sticky toffee pudding, you won't regret it! We've recommended the hotel to friends who are travelling to Ireland in July.

Not Impressed

Of all the hotels we frequented in Ireland, this was by far the least impressive. It was a great location and had good food, but the accomodations i found to be lacking, equivalent to a motel 6. It was fine for one night, next time we will probably stay outside Ennis city centre.

Really great, but...

by TripAdvisor Member Bramc

We used The Old Ground as our final night before flying out of Shannon on a 9am flight. I wish we had made it our starting point, because Ennis is a fantastic town (authentic pubs, not overrun with foreign travellers, wonderful shopping). Our room was a King (rather firm), and it was large and well decorated. It had a variety of international plugs behind the desk, which was a godsend for recharging my 3-pronged computer (I don't know what voltage). The bathroom was big with modern fixtures (strange half-shower door with a tub that was difficult to get in and out of, though not a deal-breaker). Yes, the hallway carpeting was more than tired, yet once you get in the room it all changes for the better. It is an old hotel, but it's a welcome change if you're used to cookie-cutter Marriotts. I'd say the in-room experience is equal to what you'd expect in a $200/night US boutique hotel. As for the bar, they were gracious enough to serve us after 9:00 (trust me, many restaurants in Ireland won't) and the food was the best we had all week at any price.

My only real gripe was the lack of service upon check-in and check-out. We had to haul our bags through a series of narrow doors, then up a flight of stairs, then down a flight of stairs, then down a long hallway (while the staff watched). I don't know if that's just an Old Ground thing or Ireland in general. When it came time to check out at 6:45am, we had to wait for the staff to come back to the front desk for 15 minutes, which can be an eternity when you're rushing to catch a flight. But, it's the one hotel I would definitely return to in Ireland.

Excellent Location....Classy Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JAHinckley

I don't know what hotel those people from Pennsylvania stayed at, but I was just at the Old Ground 5/30/2006 and the place is fantastic. I was on the 5th Floor. The room was very large and very upscale. I got a chance to see 2 other rooms that friend were staying in and they were as nice. In fact, we had dinner with a freind from Cork who owes a travel agencyin Ireland. He said he would list the Old Ground as 4 Stars. The carpet all looked brand new to me. The beds were the best we had in all of Ireland. The marble bath was spotless and large. The Obrien dining room was beautiful. The breakfast was excellent and we had a 4 course dinner on our final night. It was excellent. Try the Salmon and Shrips Salad. We also had pub grub in the Poet's Corner Pub. Very good. It's a true old world irish pub.

This hotel was built over 200 years ago, so keep that in mind. The lift is small. The car park was large and safe. The cost was more than you pay at a B&B of course. We got a package. $370 Euro for 2 nights, but that included a 4 course gourmet meal for my wife and myself. That alone was $70 Euro. This is a great place to end a trip to Ireland if you are flying out of Shannon. Less that 30 minutes to the airport.

Loved The Old Ground.

by TripAdvisor Member kelpartho

We stayed at The Old Ground our last 2 nights in Ireland before our flight out of Shannon. It was an excellent hotel in a perfect location for exploring Ennis. We listened to Irish music in The Poets Corner on Saturday night and on Sunday night we dined there. The food was delicious. Our room was very clean but did not have a view of anything (512) but we slept well both nights. The breakfast was fine, typical of the others we had during our stay in Ireland. It only took us about 20 minutes to get to Shannon airport from the hotel which made it really convenient. The staff were all very nice and we had an early flight out the last morning so breakfast was promptly delivered to our room in order to accomodate our early exit. We would definitely stay here again.

Medieva nights and pub musicl

by DragonLord

My wife and I are coming to Ireland in early Novemeber this year...can anyone advise me the best place to attend a Medieval banquet and is there any way to findd out where the pubs are that have typical Irish music playing in them?
I would appreciate any help anyone can give:)

by PeteNL

Hi,

I know both Doolin and Ballyvaughan have various pubs that offer music throughout the year, though maybe not every night in November. In Ballyvaughan there were 2 pubs offering music, even on some weekday in early April, so you should be fine.

The Medieval Banquets... I heard Bunratty Castle (not far from Shannon Airport) offers them. We had a question about castles here a month ago, if you click on Ireland (under forum, top left of the page) you may get to that one again. Or maybe if you try to "google" on "castles of Ireland" it will give you some more pages.

Good luck!
P.

by HP_Lovecraft

Chances are pretty good that you would be able to hear trad in every town you visit.

In all my trips to Ireland, there has always been at least one pub in town that had a trad band playing.

Now, thats no promise that it will be GOOD trad...

In my last trip to DOOLIN, the proclaimed "Trad headquarters of Ireland", there were 3 pubs in town all with trad bands.
BUT... all were using synthesizers instead of trad instraments... YIKES!

Generally, the trad gets better the further you get from the center of town. Also, if there is a sign that says "musicians welcome", this usually means it will be fantastic music says a variety of people will be popping in and out.

Nick

by Celticfawn

We love the banquet at Knappogue Castle (quite near Bunratty - it is more intimate and definitely feels as if you have stepped back in time)
Buckleys in Killarney is the type of place that the locals come and bring their instruments - different every nite and really enjoyable.

Re: Medieval nights and pub musicl

by tourmakeady

Hi,
Worth a look is http://www.ennis.ie Choose the Tourism link from the menu bar. Their are a number of recommendations on banquets and also traditional Irish Music. If you are visiting Co Clare, on the west coast of Ireland, the town of Ennis has a number of pubs which have trad music. The Old Ground Hotel is probably the best place to start. Their pub is the most comfortable, and has a good atmosphere. Doolin is also a good spot but quite isolated.
Remember all of our Pubs and Restaurants are now smoke free.

All regions will have a traditional Irish music pub. Look up Fleadh Ceols - Irish name for irish music festivals. There may be a few in November. Sligo town, Kilkenny city, Waterford and Kilarney.

enjoy your trip