Feakle Hotels

Our Members Say

• avanutria profile photo avanutria
  • Reviews: 73

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Loughnane's Holiday Hostel: The Only Hostel in Town

Loughnane's is an acceptable hostel, clean with plenty of space. The building seems to be a combination hostel - restaurant - pub, with the hostelling accomodations on the upper level.

I was in Feakle for a music festival in August of 2003. I had originally gotten a room at a bed and breakfast, but the proprietor decided she didn't really want guests after all, and fortunately a bed had opened up in Loughnane's.

The hostel is right in the middle of town. I was given the option of paying for just a bed or for the bed and a breakfast in the morning, but I opted for the cheaper plan. I think it was 20 euros a night, and during a festival that's acceptable though on the high end in my experience.

There was one really great highlight to staying in this hostel. On the Sunday night of the festival, there was a session going on in the pub below the hostel - but the shades were drawn and the door locked. A private session. A very very GOOD sounding private session.

Each hostel resident is given a key to the building. I let myself into the building, went around to the inside entrance to the pub, and dawdled in the doorway until someone noticed that I was there. Fortunately, the person who noticed me had been in my concertina workshop that week, and so I was officially invited into the session. It was great craic, uncrowded, and hardly smokey at all. A wonderful way to end the week! Thank goodness for secondary entrances. ;)

(Do you like this tip? Please rate it, thanks!)

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average