Newmarket On Fergus County Clare Ireland

Booking.com Preferred Hotels Expedia.com

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

A Wonderful Five Star Castle Hotel

An elegant castle beautifully updated with all the comforts expected of a Five-star resort. Their gracious staff is superb. The Bellman efficiently took us to our room carefully explaining all the features and amenities at the resort. Our spacious Tower Room had king-size bed with plush linens. In addition to a desk plus table with four chairs, the room had a nice sitting area with comfy couch and chairs with a large TV. We had a great view of the 18th green of golf course. Free WiFi as well as complimentary chocolates were great touches. The breakfasts are delicious! We especially enjoyed the beautiful walled gardens and the Leisure Center with its indoor pool, whirlpool, workout room, steam, sauna, plunge shower, relaxation room and patio in the walled garden. Dromoland is a fabulous castle with a warmth and charm in a pristine and rich setting.

Room Tip: Our Tower Room on the second floor had lots of space as well as some great views. No Elevators available so be prepared for steps.

Unique Quality: A beautiful setting with a well maintained castle. We enjoyed the Walled Garden and Golf Course especially.

More about Dromoland Castle Hotel

A Magnificent castle experience

by geekgrrl about Dromoland Castle

This was truly an amazing experience. I am adding some photos of our room to show the luxurious accommodations we had. This is the gallery outside our room. Both doors access our room.

by geekgrrl about Dromoland Castle

This was truly an amazing experience. I am adding some photos of our room to show the luxurious accommodations we had. We had two large beds for the three of us. This was only half of the room.

by geekgrrl about Dromoland Castle

This was truly an amazing experience. I am adding some photos of our room to show the luxurious accommodations we had. This is just half the bathroom. In the other half are the two sinks, a shower, and a heated towel rack.

Irelands best kept secret.

by wandabendik about Dromoland Castle Hotel.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel for a special occasion.
The staff are very discrete and professional.
5 star service throughout.
Approached by a meandering drive that passes acres of magnificent lawns, the Castle overlooks its own Championship Golf Course and a glistening lake which commands the panoramic beauty of the surrounds.

Seamlessly blending Old-World elegance with contemporary luxuries, Dromoland's tradition of delivering impeccable, unobtrusive service is never compromised. Guests can relax under the careful attention of the staff and enjoy an exquisite selection of gourmet foods and wines; unwind slowly in the Castle's sauna, steam room or indoor heated pool; or enjoy a good book beside a crackling evening fire. Situated just 8 miles from Shannon International Airport, Dromoland Castle is the ideal base from which to explore the vibrant cities of Limerick and Galway; the magical Shannon region and Ireland's rugged West Coast. Dromoland castle is one of Ireland's most famous Baronial Castles dating back to the 16th century. Located on 365 acres of its own Estate with Lake and Woodlands. First opened as a hotel in 1963.With an extraordinary history stretching back to the 5th Century, Dromoland Castle was originally the ancestral home of one of the few families of Gaelic Royalty; direct descendants of Brian Boru, the High King of Ireland.

A Beautiful Castle Hotel

by chrissyalex about Dromoland Castle

Being a budget traveler, I usually don't have the opportunity to stay in such luxury. I was traveling in the beginning of December which is way off-season and some of the castle hotels were offering some incredible deals. Here was a prime chance to to stay in a 5 star castle for a night. Plush white robes, slippers and complimentary chocolates on the pillow. Complimentary Irish whiskey. Beautiful room with a view of the lake , large bathroon .....that even had a phone! Numerous little extras....I can't even remember them all now! Turn down service. an award winning restaurant, a spa , golf course,gorgeous grounds with a lake and woods. A great experience.

Dromoland Castle-Not Great

by TripAdvisor Member CHEECH1863

We stayed at Dromoland Castle in November 2004.
We were not allowed into the dining room for dinner, since the men in our party did not have jackets and ties.

We had to order hamburgers in the sitting room and they cost $20.00 each.

Next morning a group of business men arrived with 4000 live pheasants in tow.

They proceeded to let them loose on the grounds and shoot them.

My 8 year old son was terified and the staff refused to do anything regarding the situation.

by geekgrrl about Dromoland Castle

This was truly an amazing experience. I am adding some photos of our room to show the luxurious accommodations we had. This is the sitting area with the door to the bathroom. There was a complimentary decanter of Irish whiskey and a box of wonderful chocolates. We took the chocolates with us on the rest of the trip, and they served as desert or a bedtime treat for us for a week! There was also bottled water with a Dromoland label on all the bottles.

Domoland Castle

by geekgrrl about Dromoland Castle

Our daughter wanted to spend a night in a castle, and this was a truly incredible experience. It was a castle experience!

Loved it!

I adored everything about my stay at Dromoland Castle! The food was delicious, the staff impecible, The services and amenities were outstanding and The overall character and charm of the hotel was unique!
The only bad point was having to go home but, I have already booked my next trip! A treasure not to be missed.

Credit card billed @ 250% of agreed rate!!!!

As a surprise birthday treat for my wife, I decided to book a night in Dromoland castle for a midweek night in February. The room rate advertised in a national newspaper had a special offer of a room rate of 130 euro room only midweek in February.
I specified this rate when booking by telephone and booked a meal in the hotel also for that night.
Two days later a confirmation mail arrives in my mailbox informing me that 340 Euro has already being billed against my credit card for one nights stay with dinner and breakfast included. I have stayed in hotels all over the world and never before has my card being charged until I've checked out. As I was never informed of the instant charge and never gave permission for it, I was flabbergasted.
Ringing the hotel to complain I had to deal with a snooty receptionist informing me that there was no mention of any special room rates when I booked. I was assured that the rate would be ammended but the damage was done.
I cancelled the next day as I could predict the dramas that would insue on checkout and besides, I was still galled that a inordinate fee was subtracted from my credit card without my authorisation.
Dromoland Castle - bad show all round. Get your act together.

The Dromoland CastleThe Dromoland Castle

Dromoland CastleDromoland Castle

Dromoland Castle, County ClareDromoland Castle, County Clare

Dromoland Castle, Newmarket-on-FergusDromoland Castle, Newmarket-on-Fergus

From Dublin to Limerick

by embi40

My daughter has declared we are going to Ireland this year so your previous recommendations for 'cheaper' European locations to visit have fallen by the wayside. But as this is our first trip in almost 2 years and we got a decent fly/drive deal online, I decided to acquiesce to her wishes.

This is our itinerary:
1 night Dublin
3 nights B&B in Co. Wicklow
1 night Dromoland Castle (all the way the heck on the other side of the island!)
and then back to Dublin for 3 more nights
The number of nights and locations are fixed.

Here's my question- I have already perused the relevant Ireland travel guides and have some good basic info, what I am lacking is some ideas for what to stop off and see on the one day drives to/from Limerick on the N7. I am interested in finding a few places that are near the N7 but not necessarily right on top of it. We'll stop and look at just about anything- museums, galleries, shops, ruins, pre-Christian stuff, shortish walks/hikes, panoramic views, etc... A restaurant suggestion or two at about the halfway point between Dublin and Limerick (from Portlaoise to Rosecrea) would be appreciated too. I'm familiar with the Shannon/Bunratty area as I was there back in 1999 and I know my daughter would love the Bunratty castle (and I can have a pint at Durty Nellie's).

Also- anyone know where I can get an easy to read map of the bus routes in Dublin?

As always, thanks in advance for you priceless advice-
MB

Re: From Dublin to Limerick

by pinkpoppypink

hi in answer to your question about bus timetable in Dublin go to the Dublin Bus Head office AT 59 UPPER O'Connell Street ,Dublin 1. I used to live in Dublin ,it is a very beautiful place, the people are so friendly, hope you have a great time

Re: From Dublin to Limerick

by Waoife

The National Stud and Japanese Gardens in Kildare are worth a visit :)

What are the "Must See" places?

by Coombsie

My boyfriend and I will be arriving in Shannon on November 5th for a nine day stay. We have a rental car all lined up and will be touring across the country. Would love some hints on "must see" things, restraunts, pubs, anything at all. We're very excited about this trip and want to make the most of it! Thanks for the help.

Re: What are the "Must See" places?

by ciog54

Dublin,Cliffs of Moher, Ring of Kerry, Galway. Dirty Nellies is very near to Shannon.Have you accomodation lined up?There are very good deals to be had at the moment.

Re: What are the "Must See" places?

by Coombsie

We will be staying in different B&B's while we are there. We got a great package deal. Thank you for the tip! I would like to upgrade to a castle for at least one night.

by orlikins

Dirty Nellies is strictly for tourists... why go there when you could visit Bunratty Castle which is right next door.

Limerick City will probably be your best port of call from Shannon, you could explore it in a day (the usual Castle, medieval churches, big river, great shopping) and then you can either drive up to Clare/Galway, West to Kerry, South to Cork or East to Dublin/Kilkenny/Waterford.
Have loads of tips written about the main Irish cities on my VT page if you need some pointers.

El Puss

by ciog54

I have thought a little more about your trip. On reflection Dirty Nellys is not what it used to be. Drink driving laws had a big effect on the business and it is now mainly tourists.There is a very nice folk park beside Bunratty Castle and across the road there is a shopping development. It has a nice pub called the Creamery that does ok food. Food in Dirty Nellys is both poor and expensive. Try Dromoland Castle which is quite near. George Bush stayed there recently. Castles are expensive.Limerick is worth a days visit. If you are heading to Kerry take the N69 rather than the N21. It goes by the coast and the road is quieter and the views are nicer. From Tralee head to Dingle. The road over the Connor Pass has spectular views. When you reach Dingle there is a nice Marina and a Dolphin who is a local attraction called Funghi. Head out to Ventry and Slea Head where people still speak Irish as an everyday language. The N86 will bring you back and to Killarney. The lakes outside the town are are not to be missed.From Killarney take the N71 to Kenmare and you are on the Ring of Kerry. This is a MUST. Enjoy the trip.This is just one part of Ireland but a spectular part.

by Coombsie

Just got the tickets and all in the mail! Now we're getting really excited about this trip, have been looking at all kinds of places! Thank you for your tips!! Be sure to look for all my pictures when I return, there will be lots I'm sure.

Comments