3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Rated 10% higher but also costs 152% more than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Renvyle House Hotel

Adored the Renvyle House

by TripAdvisor Member DONJOHN8

My husband and I traveled to Ireland for the first time for a much anticipated trip Thanksgiving week 2006. I picked the Renvyle House based mostly on location and found an almost unbelievable package deal online. The hotel website is also very compelling. The reviews were mixed but I usually have great instincts about lodging and I was so, so right with this incredible find. The hotel has a rustic old world warmth and charm.
We loved the incredible scenic location on the Atlantic Ocean and the fact it was in the Connemara loop but out of the way exactly what we were looking for. Our package included 4 breakfasts and 3 gourmet dinners and that they were, absolutely first class. The onsite bar was a great place to meet other guests and some locals that stay off season
The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. They even printed out driving directions for us to Dublin for when we left.
We would love to come back in the spring when all the amenities are open.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member JulieIreland

For our first visit to Connemara we chose the Renvyle House Hotel. It's a fantastic place to stay. The hotel is perfect for a relaxing weekend. Breakfast is served until 11.00, making it ideal for long lazy lie ins ! The service and food were fantastic. Couldn't recommend this hotel enough.

I shall return

by TripAdvisor Member stlane

I've stayed in Renvyle House Hotel on many occasions and it has never once failed to please and surprise. It's a historic house built by Oliver St. John Gogarty around the turn of the century (20th) and it retains much of the character of that time.
So if you like shiny and tacky and if you need 50 channels on your T.V. to feel comfortable, stay at home. On the other hand if you want peace and relaxation, turf fires and incredible food, time to read in an old library or to stroll amidst the most stunning scenery in Ireland then this is the place for you.
Everything from the Eggs Benedict and potato cakes for breakfast to the Guinness and music at bedtime is delivered with an un-fussy professionalism. It is without a doubt a "stress-free zone".
All I can say is that like Douglas McArthur "I shall return".

Loved the amazing location BUT...

by TripAdvisor Member J_powell99

We loved the amazing location. The area is beautiful and an absolute must see in your lifetime place BUT we unfortunatley chose to stay at the Renvyle house hotel. What a dissapointment. Yes the rooms are dated. But who cares? We have stayed in far worse places but usually with a great service and wonderful location, it hasnt mattered so much.. but it certainly does when the weathers bad and the hotel is fit to bursting with guests (far too many possibly to be staying at the hotel itself). Waiting for the table was bad enough,outside the retaurant itself on the sofas then waiting an age for the poor, clearly overworked waitress to take our order, then being rushed through our meal - no time between the courses - (the food in general was ok but a very boring selection of vegetarian dishes with the usual "pine nuts" which seems a must for any vegetarian meal there), then after enduring a very rushed meal surounded by noise (the restaurant was packed full) and being very close to the doors to the kitchen - yes we could hear the chef/kitchen staff roar at the waiting staff - i thought that went out in the dark ages - we were then asked by a very embarassed waitress if we would mind having our desert in the long lounge (a nice bright room during the day but by that time was full of rather drunk patrons - we felt very pressured to agree, not because we cared about others waiting for a table (we had waited long enough) but for the sake of the waitress who clearly had been told to ask us. We skipped dessert that night and went to our room - thats when you realise that yes the rooms definitely need upgrading and some heating in the "icy" bathroom (the hotel is literally right at the oceans edge) - We would definitely not return to the hotel - but certainly to connemara - many thanks though to the waiting staff who lugged enormous oversized trays around - serving is tea/ coffee, snacks & room service.This was about the only positive we have to say - the friendly waiting/bar staff..

November 2006

by TripAdvisor Member aranasdashac

just returned from Renvyle House and from start to finish it was incredible. The scenery was fantastic as was the food and service. The only downfall would be the pricing but you definatly get what you pay for

Well done Ronnie!

by TripAdvisor Member Jamiecoyle

I stayed in Renvyle house in December 06 and I must say it is a far nicer place then it used to be.I had stayed there many times before when the hotel was under different management and had not enjoyed my stay as I felt it was over priced and not up to standard..I dont mind spending money as long as I'm getting what I pay for!.I also thought that the running of the hotel used to be rather unprofessional and felt that the main aim of the staff and management had not been to please the guests-as it should have been.
However,I was certainly pleasantly surprised when I returned last December.From the moment I walked into the hotel the staff could'nt have done enough for me and the atmosphere was so warm and inviting-just what I needed after my long journey.
I later met the current general manager Ronnie and quickly realised that it was he who was responsiible for the great improvement's to the running of the hotel. The hotel itself ,I'm glad to say had not changed as it still has the beautiful open fires and the wonderful piano music during dinner aswell as the great sing along piano bar scene in the evening's.
Ronnie has all the right idea's and knows exactly what guests would like when they travel to somewhere like Renvyle-warm atmosphere,open fires,great food and wine and all set in the wonderful,enchanting and breath -taking landscape that is Connemara.
Ronnie has brought back that 'something special' to Renvyle.He is such a charming yet modest man,so unlike some of the other manager's over the year's who were often loud and over-bearing.
Thank's to Ronnie renvyle house is a magic destination,one to be enjoyed by both young and old. Well done Ronnie!.

A beautiful place in a beautiful part of Ireland

by TripAdvisor Member phxexplorer

We stayed at the Renvyle House October 30th and 31st of 2006. I had read the reviews of the Hotel on Trip Advisor and I was anxious to see the place myself since there was some contradiction in the reviews that I read. After two nights there, my wife and I, and the other two couples we were traveling with, shared the opinion that Renvlye House is a very special place. I wouldn't describe it as luxurious as it is a bit dated but I would also say that it is one of the most comfortable places that we have ever stayed. The food and service is excellent and the look and feel of the hotel all adds up to a wonderful Irish experience. The peat fire and layout all seems to work perfectly. I'm not a golfer so I wasn't influenced by what appeared to be a beautiful golf course. This was our 5th trip to Ireland and we have stayed a number of great places, but this one was the most enjoyable. So, for us, it is a 'must return to again' destination.

Still an excellent getaway

by TripAdvisor Member Caz'n'kel

Just wanted to update you all on our most recent trip to the Renvyle Hotel - Once again this hotel was welcoming and charming. The meals served in the evening are of an excellent presentation and standard and keeps the hotel's reputation good. This time we had room 19 in the main hotel - nice room with views towards the golf course/lake and beach to the side. Although it was a good sized room and the bed was comfy - you cannot say the rooms are luxurious (i don't expect anything different from this hotel - but having spent 2 nights prior to our stay here in a luxury hotel room - i can see where some people may think this hotel is a bit lacking in this department!!!) The bathroom was really cold - you really didn't want to stay in there any longer than you had too. Also just so people are prepared the water in this area is of a brown colour - nothing to worry about (were used to it now, we've been so many times before) but it could be a bit off putting for a 1st time visitor !!! :)
During our stay it was a "Murder Mystery" weekend - we weren't taking part and didn't know it was going to be on, but i just wanted to mention that although they didn't get in our way at all, the hotel was very busy and the restaurant very noisy on the Saturday eve - so it may be worth checking this out if like us you wanted peace and quiet! The Sunday eve was fine as they had all gone home by then :). The golf course is much better now and we managed to play all the holes without loosing our golf balls :) If your looking for a hotel away from it all and excellent food you must look this lovely place up! We can't wait to go again.

Wonderful hotel

by TripAdvisor Member LukeLondon

I stayed with a family group at the hotel last month ( June '07 ) and we all fell in love with the place. I enjoy visiting Connemara and for me the location was perfect, facing onto the Atlantic from the Renvyle peninsula . We spent many peaceful evenings walking in the grounds and down by the sea shore and the overall experience was quite unexpectedly magical. A few minutes away from the hotel you reach the beautiful Renvyle beach ( which was deserted the day visited ) and many of the attractions of Connemara are within easy reach.

The atmosphere at the hotel is charming , rather like stepping back in time to a slightly eccentric house party, and the public rooms of the Edwardian main house are comfortable and inviting . The quality of the food is of an extremely high standard and all the staff we met were very friendly, efficient and clearly well trained. To me this all points to excellent , hands-on management running the place with great precision and for the benefit of the guests. We had just had a pretty awful experience at another hotel and the comparison was stark.

The only negative point to mention might be that the rooms we stayed in were a little tired, and some updating will be needed before too long. I should say though that this did not detract from the overall very positive experience and I shall definitely return.

The hotel welcomes families and I gather from my sister ( who has stayed during the school holiday period ) that the place can be very busy at that time. We stayed at the end of June which was pretty much child free and mercifully peaceful !

Guests can bring pets, which means that there were always two or three well behaved dogs to play with. For me that was heaven and evening walks were made all the more pleasureable by having an eager labrador to take along with us. If you are not a dog person that might be a big turn off , but if you are then this is the place to visit. It felt like we were guests at someone's wonderful home.

Very nice but not if a wedding is going on

by TripAdvisor Member Turasóir

Renvyle is a beautiful country house in a beautiful location. It really is a gorgeous part of the country. Unfortunately on arrival we realised that we were of a tiny minority staying at the hotel who were not part of a wedding party. We had booked the hotel over the internet so were not aware of this. It was so unfair as we were really looking forward to the stay.

We were given what I can only describe as an attic room that overlooked a flat roof with satellite dishes perched atop. It was definitely an overflow room and not one of their main bedrooms. The bathroom was tiny - and I really mean tiny - there was no room for a wash hand basin, so you had to go back into the bedroom and wash your hands in the wash hand basin that was installed at the other side of the room.

Although staff on front desk were sympathetic, nothing could be done as the reception was in full swing. To add to our woes, we were starving, and when trying to book dinner in the dining room, were told that the kitchen was closed as it had to cater for the wedding. That meant we had to drive all the way back to Leenane to have dinner. (Thankfully reception had recommended an excellent restaurant in Leenane, Pangur Bán, so that cheered us up considerably). Unfortunately we were kept awake until 2am by the sound of the music at the disco so although breakfast the next morning was delicious, we were exhausted and a bit annoyed overall.

I think for a small hotel like Renvyle, they should have a policy of either a) notifying any non-wedding guests of the existence of a wedding reception or b) block book the whole hotel (it is not that big) for the wedding reception and charge the bride and groom for any rooms not taken.This happens in many other small country hotels and works very well.

I realise we didn't get to sample the real Renvyle. We were in one of its worst rooms, we didn't have access to the dining room or the bar or any of its other amenities. Having said all that, Renvyle does have its charm, and I would love to go back and experience it properly. I will just make sure to ask whether there is a wedding on!

Quin AbbeyQuin Abbey

Cliffs of Moher, June 2007 (rain)Cliffs of Moher, June 2007 (rain)

Fred - Sunset from coast roadFred - Sunset from coast road

Loop Head Light House at sunsetLoop Head Light House at sunset

November in Ireland

by dldicaprio

My family and I were thinking about traveling to Ireland November 1-5, 2006. We have a 9 year old and 7 year old. Is November a good time to come, or will it be to cold for the children. Will there be activities the children could do while we are there. ex. Dolphin watching, horse riding Any recommendations on castle type hotels in the area? Thank you!

by auriana

HI
NOVEMBER IN IRELAND CAN BE QUITE COLD AND WET. TEMPERATURES OF ABOUT 5-10 DEGREES. BRING PLENTY OF WARM CLOTHES FOR THE KIDDIES. LOTS OF THINGS TO DO BUT EVERYTHING IS EXPENSIVE.

by Jennyjump79

I've been to Ireland twice in November, and even though I love it in the cooler weather, it might limit your outdoor activities. Expect temperatures to hover between 40-60 degrees F. It won't be freezing cold, but it can be damp, foggy and windy. Many of the tourist attractions, particularly outside the cities, close in November, although the big ones (like Bunratty Castle) stay open year round.

With only four days, a lot depends on where in Ireland you plan to base yourself.

RE: RE: November in Ireland

by Ruai

Because the climate can be "variable" ;-) throughout the year, there are a fair number of indoor things to do. As mentioned, your real problem is likely to be that smaller attractions and some accomodation will have closed as the Summer season is over. Dublin still has things to do for kids and there are some great places scattered across the country but you'll need to plan your trip carefully.

by sandyn

Not sure what off-season is like, but my 3 kids ages 12, 11, and 9 really enjoyed King John's Castle tour in Limerick, Bunratty Folk Park (also in Limerick), Blarney Castle, the Waterford Crystal Factory Tour (very cool), and Newgrange (Bru na Boinne) north of Dublin. They also enjoyed the Trinity College Book of Kells exhibit in Dublin, and the National Museum is awesome! As for castle accomodations, near Shannon everyone loves Dromoland Castle; we stayed at the Adare (a huge manor house) near Limerick which we loved. We actually stayed in rooms in the golf Clubhouse which I think are bigger and better for our family--and you can still use all the hotel amenities. There are so many great places to stay--check some of the tourism websites for ideas. You might want to try a Bed and Breakfast--my kids really enjoyed seeing a real Irish home. Good luck!

Comments