Shiplake Hostel

by cmwheeler3

"Kilbrogan House"

What a great B&B! www.kilbrogan.com

"Michael Collins Tour"

Timothy Crowley conducts these, was a highlight of our tour.

www.michaelcollinscentre.com

"The Town"

Restaurants - Anarkali - punjabi/indian/pakistani very good
Hotel Muenster Rest - great carvary lunch, try it on Sunday, I think 1/2 of Bandon was there in their Sunday best.
Launderette - just drop off laundry in the a.m., ready by 1700 washed and folded.

My first contact with Irish Way of Living..

by Propermark

Hi everyone! It's not so easy to sum up three months in few lines but I will try to write, step by step, about my three-months-stay in Ireland.

My first contact with Ireland was Bandon, a small village, in County Cork. You may wonder why I went there, how come did I choose this small place? Well, actually I didn't choose it! Bandon is where my Hosting Organization was based, so I stayed here for one month to study English Language and afterwards I moved to work to Dublin.

Bandon is a small village with few pubs and one discoclub, few shops in a main street, and one or two shopping centres. Life is really simple here and I am glad I also experienced this relaxed lifestyle. As you probably know I come from a big city, Palermo, so it took me some time to get used to it, but in the end I enjoyed that month.

During my stay in Bandon I used to get up early and go to the Language Course every morning. In the afternoon I had some assignments, our teachers gave us students, but after we were free to do what we wanted to do. So, basically, I went to the Internet Point or Shopping Centres or the main Library.. that was the only way to spend those days..

At night I used to go to Bradys Pub and have some pints of beer. Irish people are rather friendly and I enjoyed meeting them.

Irish Memories - A Diary

by Propermark

Bandon November 12th 07 - 9.25pm

I'm here in my room and have nothing to do. So I decided to write about my stay here in Ireland.
Almost one month has passed by and everything is ok. I'm a bit bored tonight and I also feel moody. Outside is cold as usual and tonight I'm staying home cause I went out so often. I'm under my blanket with a hot water bag with me since my room is rather cold, as the rest of the house actually. The heating system is not working properly, or at least that's what my landlady says. Actually I think she's thrifty.
Ireland is a totally different place to live in if you compare it to Italy: everything is just so different! They don't have bidets, their electrical sockets have a switch, that if you forget to turn on won't let your electrical devices work. They have wooden fllors and carpets, and of course stairs which will take you to bedrooms.
Outside you can see the green lawns which are always mown with care.
As to the weather I may say that I now understand why everyone coming to the Mediterranean says we're lucky and that the weather's always nice. The main reason is that we have such a dry weather but we never realize it until we go to live abroad for a while. The first days here were difficult for me, cause even though I knew the language I just couldn't stand the weather in Ireland and got a cold which lasted at least one and a half weeks. Here it's almost always windy, rainy and cold. Humidity is high too. On my first weekend I went from Bandon to Cork and we had fun but on the way back at night there was kind of a storm. It was really windy and rainy that by the time I got off the taxi to my home I was soaking wet and felt somewhat uncomfortable and disappointed.
Here houses are real shelters when the weather's bad. Luckily day after day I got used to the weather and I started to enjoy my stay here.

Now in few days I'll be living and working in Dublin. I hope I'll have fun. They say Dublin is colder than County Cork.. well we'll see.
Another thing I was forgetting to mention is that people drinks a lot and girls even if outside is really cold wear summer clothes at night, like they want to challenge the weather. I can't get how they can stand cold being dressed like that, but I admit they're sexy!

Bandon November 14th 07 - 8.36pm

Here I am again! Tonight I feel so happy cause my house is warm enough and my room is so comfortable! I don't have to stay under my blankets and I've even taken off some clothes!

I'm listening to some cool songs I've got on my MP3 player... I'm rather glad!

On Friday there will be a goodbye party cause we're leaving for Dublin. It seems I'll live not too far from the city centre. I'll share a double room. I'd have preferred a single room but finding an accommodation in Dublin seems so difficult!
Before leaving Bandon I'd like to go shopping for some new clothes. I'd need some new hoodies. Here in Ireland they'r very common and popular, and I like them. I want to go to Pennys or Dunnes in Cork. I am liking staying here in Ireland! I'm sure I'll have so much fun in a city like Dublin.. after all I come from a big city.
I'd like to meet some Dubliners and go to parties!! I just can't wait! I'm also very excited about my new job!

In one week I'll be 27! Who would have thought I had spent it in Ireland!

Ireland is a wonderful country. Beautiful nature, breathtaking landscapes but also small villages and towns with different accents. The biggest cities are Dublin, Cork and Galway.

Comments