The Quay, Bantry, West Cork, Bantry, Ireland
Maritime Hotel
Orbitz.com Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about The Maritime Hotel and Suites

Horrible Experience - Really bad service!!!

by TripAdvisor Member emartha

We have come back from a very disappointing stay at the Maritime Hotel in Bantry. We arrived at approx. 6pm on Saturday evening to check in, the young girl on reception seemed quiet stressed. We recieved the two cards to open our room door and we checked that dinner was booked for us in the restaurant and checked if it would be okay that two non residents joined our table. We requested at this stage a newspaper to be delived to our room the next morning which was her suggestion, We never recieved this.

We proceeded to the lift to bring us to our room, we arrived at the 1st floor, proceeded down the corridor to the second lift which brought us to our room. Neither of the cards would open our room door, we had alot of luggage and didnt not like the idea of having to carry all our luggage down the long trip to reception again. We telephoned the hotel from our mobile and waited for the receptionist to arrive with new cards. No explaination!!

When we eventually got into our room we realised that our bedroom was twinned, we have booked a double room and this was clearly stated on our confirmation, we telephoned down reception and a housekeeper arrived at the door 10 minutes later, we stood while this was changed.

Arrived down for dinner at 9pm with our two non resident friends, we recieved our menus and were greeted with ""because you are on a package your menu is different and it will cost you an extra €15.00 per person to have the same menu as the non residents" We were highly insulted and embarrassed!!!! We just said ""yes we all want the same menu please""Dinner was nothing special for the price, main courses varied from €26 - 30.00.

The next morning we had breakfast to our room, which was on time, however they forget the teapot and the toast and brown bread!!!We phoned reception, however it was cold when we recieved it!!!Also there was no maple syrup with the french toast as stated. While we were having our breakfast a housekeeping came knocking on the door asking when she could come in to clean our room, this was 9.30am!!!

We came back to our room on Saturday evening to find the cards would not open our room door again, we phoned reception again from our mobile and a girl came up and told us that she had made these cards okay to use for another 3 days, so obvisiouly reception had not been coding them properly!!!
We were having dinner elsewhere that night and were running late.

We arrived back at our hotel with our friends that night. Our friends were staying at another hotel 1 mile away (as the Maritime was fully booked, luckly for them!!!) and needed a taxi, i asked the night porter to book them a taxi and to my amazement he seemed quiet put out by this, he informed me that he would have to charge to our room the cost of the TELEPHONE CALL!!!

The next morning on check out we have decided that we must speak to a manager about the bad service we recieved. I asked the receptionist to speak to a manager and a woman came to speak to us, she straight away took a notebook out of her pocket and asked us what our problems were, she wrote everything down and blamed a girl who previously worked there for some problems and at the end of the conversation asked us "what would you like me to do?" how unprofessional!!!! After everything she did nothing and never got so much as an apology, just blaming everyone else. We were not charged the €15 extra each for dinner or the telephone call but this was not on the bill anyway!!!Our bill was paid in full otherwise down to the last cent, while she stood over us and said a couple of times, "have a nice day"

This is a supposed 4 star hotel, we were so dissappointed and very hurt after we had spoken to the "manager"!!!

Lovely Stay

by TripAdvisor Member jamesor2

Just returned from a lovely weekend in Bantry. Was not sure about booking the hotel in the beginning purely because of the location but very glad we did in the end. Hotel is nice and modern and very well built. The bar is very confortable and has a lovely br food menu that uses a lot of local ingredients. Bedrooms are lovely and spacious and clean. I do hope they decideto go for duvets though in time to come. Breakfast is very busy but there is more than enough to choose from and as it is a buffet there is more than enough to eat. Dinner in the hotels restaurant is good. Some of the staff in the hotel are some of the most pleasant I have ever come across. A welcomed asset to Bantry.

hotel stay for 2 nights

by TripAdvisor Member amcCork_Ireland

Beautiful room had 2 cots in room we were given lovely big room unfortunately there was no view from room except looking at some trees out the back and at the back of the building, lovely leisure centre, staff overall friendly. Leisure centre staff very friendly gave us armbands for our little girl. breakfast lovely 2nd morning, sausages and puddings overdone the 1st morning. Room very clean only thing was room was cleaned etc at 5 o'clock in the evening which was quite late in the day. would definitely go back

Oh dear, no improvement!

by TripAdvisor Member tandsd

I wrote a review in February after a very disappointing stay here. After lengthy correspondence with the manager, who assured us that many of the issues raised had been dealt wtih, we returned, as he had offered us two complimentary nights in a penthouse room. We booked another two nights in addition.
Sad to say, things had not really improved. Housekeeping was very poor, the sheets weren't changed in four days, we didn't get fresh soap until the third day, the cleaner broke a glass in the bathroom, left a big chunk on the floor and did not replace the glass. Yet again we had to wait until 4 o'clock one day to have our room serviced.
Breakfast - on the first day we discovered they were still serving orange squash instead of juice. After our rather exaggerated horror at this we noticed that, ten minutes later, the squash was taken away and replaced with juice! On subsequent days, juice was served, but it was VERY watered down. Once again, the white pudding and eggs were dried up and overcooked, even on our last day, when we were first down to breakfast as we had to get to the airport.
On a positive note, we ate in the restaurant one night and both the food and service were excellent, we couldn't believe it was run by the same team (perhaps it isn't).
All in all, the Maritime gets away with this as there is not really a comparable alternative, but we certainly won't stay there again. I have written once more to the Manager, and sent a copy to Failte Ireland, as this hotel is not typical of Irish hospitality, service and food.
Oh, and a last thing - we had a huge glass panel between the bathroom and bedroom, there were only two places in the room you could sit to avoid seeing your partner on the loo! Great eh? The girl in the bar told us we were in the bridal suite - not exactly romantic is it!!!

A good base for a beautiful region

by TripAdvisor Member blackgreen

I stayed in the apartment section with members of my family in April 2008. It was a generally positive experience, although there were a few small issues.

The accommodation itself was spacious and comfortable. It was clean and well maintained throughout. Staff were friendly and helpful. It was also good value for money on a per person basis.

My main criticism is that the hotel was just too hot. On entering the apartment, I was immediately opening windows and figuring out how to turn the radiators off. Otherwise, the road outside is quite busy, although this didn't present a problem when the windows were closed. The final criticism I would have would be of certain parts of the breakfast. The sausages and puddings were deep-fried, which destroys the flavour; a good Irish breakfast will see them grilled or shallow-fried. Some of my companions ordered from the menu rather than taking the self-service breakfast and they were much happier with what they got.

I ate in the bar on one evening and was happy with the food there.

In need of a good manager

by TripAdvisor Member Kilkcat

The Maritime is a lovely hotel and a stay there should be very enjoyable but sadly that was not the case for me when I stayed there recently. When I arrived at 5pm on Saturday I was told that my room would not be ready for 15 minutes. Having worked in the hotel business, I thought this was a little unusual. The girl gave the excuse that they had had a wedding the day before and an unusual no. of check-outs resulted. This I could accept from a two star hotel in a non-tourist area in the middle of winter, but not from this lovely hotel set in one of Ireland's tourist hotspots on the May bank holiday weekend. At about 9pm I ordered some dinner to my room. I was told that it would be a while (it was half an hour - not bad), as they were busier than expected. Another excuse I didn't need to hear. When the dinner did arrive, it was minus the jug of water I had ordered. I didn't bother reminding them. The next morning I left the hotel at 8am and returned at lunchtime to find that the room still had not been serviced. As I had taken part in a half-marathon that morning I needed to bath and rest, so I rang reception to say that I didn't want the room serviced, just some clean towels. Again, I was offered an excuse for the room not being serviced, along the same lines as before - an unusually high no. of check-outs. The towels duly arrived. As I was settling into my nap, there was another knock on the door. I opened it to find a lady with a clipboard who said to me 'Are you still here? 12pm is check out time. You shouldn't still be here.' I exxplained that I wasn't due to check out until the next day. She said that reception weren't aware of that (I booked online and for luck I had my confirmation printout with me). She offered no apology for disturbing me (DND sign was on the door)and instead told me I'd better sort it out with reception. I rang reception. Again, no apology. It seemed as though the lady on reception wasn't surprised to be getting such a phone call, as though it happens a lot. There were other small things that I wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't for the overall neglect of service. These include a toaster that took two attempts to toast the bread, the fact that I ordered another coffee at breakfast and it didn't arrive. Another excuse - the coffee machine wasn't ready when the waitress went in and then she forgot, the layer of dust on the bedside locker (not surprising if the rooms are being cleaned under pressure of the next guest arriving) and the fact that the internet access in the bedrooms wasn't working and the girl at reception knew nothing about it. The staff of this hotel need the direction of a good manager. They need to be told that guests don't want to hear excuses or gain insight into how their hotel works. We want a pleasant, smooth stay and only positive encounters with their staff. We want good service and value for money. It's a pity to have to write this review because as I said, the hotel is really lovely but you can't help but come into contact with frustrating incomptence on the service side.

We'd definitely go back!

by TripAdvisor Member JVMCork

I wanted to write a review as there has been really mixed feedback on this site about the hotel, and maybe it's possible to put it in some context. I stayed here as part of a group of 14 in April, on what was a pretty important weekend for the group in question. We booked The Maritime for the weekend as a result of good feedback I had heard from colleagues, as well as the good value weekend deals that they offered.
Everyone really enjoyed the weekend. The decor of the hotel is lovely, very different. The pool area of the lesiure centre is fabulous, well worth a visit. The food in the restaurant was excellent - when we ate there on the Saturday night, everyone enjoyed their meal (they have a good value wine list too). And the staff were really very very pleasant. On the down side, service was quite disorganised at times, and I could understand some guests getting frustrated with this.
However, to address some of the previous reviews, I think West Cork is a pretty special, laid back kind of a place, and if you're paying a visit, it's worth deciding to go with the flow and relax during your time there. On balance, the hotel is a pretty unique place to stay in a really beautiful area, and if it's possible to overlook some small details like overcooked breakfast and squash instead of juice (which may be a little frustrating, but are pretty trifling details in the bigger scheme of things), it's hard not to have a really nice time there.
My overall impression of the reviews on this site is that if you're a stickler for detail and you need everything to be perfect, you might get a bit stressed at times during your stay, so look for an alternative, but if you can relax, unwind, and enjoy the hotel and the local area, you're in for a treat. By the way, a long walk out Sheep's Head near Bantry is a really nice way to spend an afternoon, followed by coffee and Rhubarb Crumble in the cafe by the carpark.

Loved the stylish look and feel

by TripAdvisor Member Raz86

I stayed in the Maritime hotel in June 2007, not long after it opened. From the minute I entered the building I loved the look and feel of the place. The girl at reception was very friendly, welcoming and efficient.

When I booked my stay at the hotel, I was given a twin room, although I had requested a double. I got in contact with the manager who upgraded my room to one of the penthouse rooms, with a huge balcony and beautiful view over Bantry Bay. I was very happy with his effienicy and we were not charged extra for the upgrade to the new room.

We ate on our first night (of two) and I thouroughly enjoyed my meal. A little more food would have been nice, but I enjoyed what I got. We got our food in approx 30 mins. The restaurant was very busy so I didnt mind. The waitresses were very efficient and kept us stocked up on water and bread for our soup. The breakfast in the mornings was of good quality. There was plenty to choose from and I did not find it overcooked. There was plenty of juice and not squash.

I hardly noticed housekeeping. They were quiet but also very friendly if I passed them in the corridor. They did not call early, or disturb us at all. They brought fresh towels when requested without a delay. My room was very well kept and tidy when I arrived at the hotel.

My only minor problems were:
- A little more food at dinner please!
- Garden furniture could not be got as a wedding party next to us were apparently using it all.
- Guests next to our room were very noisy, but I did not complain as it was a wedding.
- The funfair across the way from the hotel was extremely loud and annoying even with the balcony door closed. It did not finish tell quite late. (Obviously this is not a problem with the hotel)

Overall, I very much enjoyed my experience of the Maritime hotel and I would certainly return to stay again

Pleasant Stay

by TripAdvisor Member walkerIreland

We have just returned home from a one night stay in "The Maritime" in Bantry. This is a beautiful hotel - very modern with great attention to detail i.e. magnified lit telescopic mirror in the bathroom and double doors to the bathroom. The spotless, very quiet, air-conditioned bedroom was huge and beautifully furnished. A lovely big bathroom which consisted of both a bath and seperate shower. There was a good selection for the self-service breakfast (it was difficult to get someones attention to get coffee). There was a large staff in the breakfast room, preparing the room for dinner that evening - setting up long table, while there was a queue for tables for breakfast. We were asked if we would share a table. I got the impression that the visitors at breakfast "were in the way of the staff" doing their work. The staff were not friendly but, it did not take away from our lovely stay in such a beautiful area. We did not visit the lesiure centre. We hope to have a longer stay there in the near future.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member MTRCork

We have just returned from a fantastic weekend in the Maritime Hotel. We arrived on Friday the 16th and were staying in one of the suites, which were very spacious and well designed. We had no complaints and our room was cleaned at midday and to a high standard. We ate in the restaurant on the Friday night and it was an excellent meal. The waiting staff were very pleasant and the food lived up to its reputation. The receptionist is an asset to the hotel and made us feel at home from the minute we arrived. I cannot compliment the hotel highly enough and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a modern and stylish hotel as a base for touring West Cork.

Comments