Acorn House

SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Friendly guesthouse in central Cork

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 11, 2008

I stayed at Acorn House for 1 night during a weekend visit to Cork in October 2008.

I booked the guesthouse directly via email and paid 60 Euros / 48 GBP for a single en-suite room with full Irish breakfast included.

Location

This friendly, owner-run guesthouse is located at the bottom of St Patrick’s Hill, just a one minute walk from St Patrick’s Bridge which crosses the River Lee.

Cork’s central bus station is just a little over 5 minutes walk away, along the banks of the river, and the main shopping streets of the city centre are also about 5 minutes away on foot. There are a good choice of bars, restaurants and shops within the immediate vicinity of the guesthouse.

Bedroom

My comfortable single room was on the top floor of the guesthouse. The guesthouse has no lifts, but the three flights of stairs to my room were not a problem for me. It might be a good idea to request a low level floor if you have mobility difficulties.

Despite being a single room, my room contained both a single and a double bed. Other facilities in the room included a TV (local channels only), complimentary tea and coffee making facilities, a telephone, clothes hangers, bedside cabinets, a wall mirror and a lamp.

My room contained a ceiling window which gave the room plenty of natural light and was well heated throughout.

The en-suite shower room was fairly small, but was spotlessly clean and well stocked with fresh towels.

Breakfast

Breakfast is served between 8:00am and 9:30am in the family’s ground floor breakfast room.

You can help yourself to fruit juice, coffee, tea and cereals, while the owner will bring a cooked breakfast to your table as per your order. I opted for the full Irish breakfast, which consisted of two sausages, two rashers of bacon, a fried egg, another piece of meat (a cross between sausage and black pudding) and a fried tomato. Breakfast also included a basket of toast and a selection of jams and marmalades.

A very good breakfast, cooked to order and very tasty!

General

The owners of Acorn House are very friendly and helpful. I exchanged several friendly emails with them prior to my visit as I confirmed my booking and payment details. Upon my arrival, they were very welcoming and helpfully showed me places of interest on the map that hangs on the wall of the lobby area.

I arrived at the guesthouse at around 11am, but my room wasn’t ready until 2pm. This wasn’t a problem for me, but is something to bear in mind when making your plans. I was offered the opportunity to leave my luggage in reception while I explored the city, but I was travelling light so this wasn’t necessary.

Guests are provided with three keys when they check in, allowing them to come and go as they please outside of reception hours. One key is for the main front door (which remains open during the day, but is locked at night), one is for the main internal door to the reception area (which is always kept locked) and the other is for your room.

A small, friendly guesthouse with an excellent central location and a hearty Irish breakfast. Highly recommended!

Directions: Located at the bottom of St Patrick's Hill, 1 minute walk from the river, 5 minutes walk from the city centre and central bus station.

Nearby Acorn House

5 Photos of Acorn House

View Professional Photos

Cork Travel Forum

Need advice about Cork, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Cork and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cork hotel reviews