Castlemartyr

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Castlemartyr

Wonderful Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Pat2008Tipperary

We spent one night at the Capella Castlemartyr. What a wonderful hotel. From the moment we stepped out of our car we experienced excellent service within a relaxed yet professional and efficient environment. The hotel is within a lovely setting. Bedrooms are spacious and comfortably kitted out. We found all staff very pleasant. Dinner in the restaurant was a gastronomic experience with great service. It was pure bliss to stay at Capella.

Great hotel, really enjoyed

Stayed in the Capella Castlemartyr for a weekend in July. Availed of a special offer package. Great value for the quality. Very helpful and friendly staff. Came to meet us and bring our luggage in. Complimentary soft drinks in minibar. Very well appointed room and bathroom. Lovely spa. Some bicycles ( and a tandem) for guest use. Excellent variety in breakfast buffet and very good evening meal in main restaurant. Could not fault at all. Will definitely go back if the special offer is repeated.

Fantastic Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Diarmaid

I stayed at the Capella for 1 night, which I wish was more. The hotel is superb. It is in a stunning location, I think it was a former boarding school. Right from the off, we were made to feel very welcome as a porter came out to the car park, met us and brought our bags in. The check in process was extremely quick and efficient. The rooms are quite a distance from the check in desk as they are located in a separate block. The rooms were just amazing. Very spacious, warm and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was stunning and very large. There was even a touch screen pad for the lights, TV, curtains etc. as well as tea and coffee making facilities. The staff were friendly and not overly stuffy as some 5 star hotels can be. The spa and pool are were also fantastic although the spa treatments are very expensive. The food in the main restaurant was good although unfortunately, as with most Irish hotels, overpriced by quite a margin!
The hotel has lots of areas to walk in, you can also bring their dogs for a walk and there is also a golf course. A further nice touch, was that there is a large study and games room as well as seating areas with jigsaw puzzles and books. In summary, it is a great hotel. My only gripe was that the food in the restaurant was over priced although the bar food prices were more reasoable.

Beautiful

by TripAdvisor Member Early30sIreland

Beautiful location and grounds, hotel was very quiet however services was fantastic, very well trained waiters in both the bar and restaurant. Had the tasting menu which was excellent. Bedrooms are extremely well fitted out akin to Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, no expense spared. Should do very well after a few years as the investment in quality fit out will last not like some of the hotels been thrown up around the country. Flew down from Dublin on Aer Arann and hotel arranged a pickup. Well done keep up the good work.

Gone down

by TripAdvisor Member HT1

Visited this hotel at Christmas and was blown away. Service and ambience fantastic and dinner was excellent. Could not wait to go back! Second time, May, maybe it was the brighter days, but found the grounds in bad need of maintenance, service cold and poor, food not worth the price and just a general drop in standards. Would agree with an earlier reviewer that the flowers were bad for a hotel of this standard and this was something that I would have complimented the hotel on after the first visit. Prices have dropped significantly over the past months but so has the experience.

Check what else is on

by TripAdvisor Member Farnham_Flyer

I recently stayed at this hotel as an attendee at a conference for a large international company.

For this, this is a superb venue - a cut above the average.

Despite the conference facilities being in a separate wing and being invisible to non-attendees during the day. I did feel a little sorry for the other guests in the evening as the delegates swamped the bar.

In terms of rooms, service etc - the rooms are attractive and luxurious. The service - quiet and unobtrusive - despite so many people staying I always got addressed by name.

Bar food was excellent, the rest of the food was standard buffet conference fare.

We also got an excellent conference rate - if I was paying the full 899Eu for my room I would have considered it way too expensive.

Amazing

by TripAdvisor Member DXDXDXDX

This hotel is amazing. From the moment we arrived we were met by one of the hotel staff members who helped us with our bags. The house is unbelievable. You can sit outside and enjoy coffee, breakfast. The staff we very friendly and professional. Our room was magnificent. The bed was beautiful. The detail in the room is outstanding. The food was really nice however a little pricy (as with all hotels in Ireland of this standard. The pool is very relaxing with a beautiful glass walls surrounding it.

this is how it`s done!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member cat-neil

Stayed with my wife for a 2 day mid/week break.Throughly enjoyed every minute,excellent rooms,restaurant,staff,spa and facilities.Have stayed in many 5 star hotels around the world and i honestly have to say the capella is up there with the best!!

True 5 star service unlike many irish hotels who manage to get the grade but do not live up to the standard.

The most amazing whisky collection (with amazing prices to boot) but hey you are on holiday,so enjoy.

Opening a sister resort in west cork soon so looking forward to staying there if it is anything like castlemartyr. Will definetly return very very soon.

Organisation could be better

by TripAdvisor Member dubtipp

My husband and I stayed in the Capella for a two night mid week special a couple of weeks ago. Great value at €358 for two nights in a delux room with one dinner for two people. We booked online using the hotel's own website. Bear in mind, the spa was booked solid when I inquired about treatments on arrival but that was my own fault for not being organised!

The room we stayed in was fantastic. A delux room which is the basic room available but huge with a separate desk area, relaxing chair for reading, a complimentary drinks bar with minerals and water, safe etc. The bathrooms are really nice with a fantastic rain water shower. I agree with the previous reviewer who said the neutral cream gets a bit boring after the first few hours.

Lovely pool in a glass walled area looking out to the gardens which was well used by families the two days we were there.

Dinner is served in a series of little rooms interconnected. The food was good but was no gastronomic experience as stated by a previous reviewer. My husband had the fillet steak which he felt was very dry. I had the duck breast which was lovely. Deserts were a triumph though so compliments to the pastry chef.

The breakfast though is another story. The buffet is set up in the corridor which is quite dark. The cereals and fruit are in another room altogether, I think called the Garden Room. I had to ask a staff member the first morning if there was any cereal - I couldn't see it anywhere. I also noticed a few people standing around waiting for various items, i.e. tomatoes or scrambled eggs which had run out but weren't replemished. The toaster is a disaster. Two small domestic toasters to serve everyone at once. Our toaster at home is better quality! That definitely needs to be sorted. I must add thought that the ingredients - sausages especiallly, are of excellent quality and apart from the organisation, I enjoyed my breakfast.

The grounds are great for a walk or a cycle - complimentary bikes available. We aren't golfers so didn't partake.

Overall, we enjoyed our two night stay. Certainly, I'd go back again.

Unmitigated disaster with unbelievable management failures

by TripAdvisor Member RJB

This is a long post, so I will summarise! This is no longer a true luxury hotel. Forget everything you may have read about this place in its first few months. Since then, rates have been cut sharply (excellent deals are advertised in the Irish Times, sub Euro 200 for breakfast, dinner and golf) and service has collapsed as, presumably, costs were cut.

Perhaps Capella had no choice given the weak Euro and the collapsing domestic economy. In any event, if you are expecting a Four Seasons experience then you will be HUGELY disappointed. To call this ‘the finest hotel in Ireland’ is a joke you won’t find funny. If you look at my tripadvisor profile you will see that I have stayed in a lot of high-end places across the globe. I have NEVER been so badly treated at a ‘luxury’ hotel in my life - read and weep at what I had to put up with during my stay:

Arrive to find no cot in our room. Request cot again. 3 hours later (5pm) still no cot. I ring down again to find they were planning to bring it with the turndown, which would have been 9.30pm!! Does your baby go to bed at 9.30pm?

Fridge in room broken. Call engineer. Engineer opens fridge, sees light is on, declares fridge functioning, and leaves. Three hours later we called a 2nd engineer who immediately declared fridge broken and got us a new one.

We have a one-bed suite (Capella Room). The black-out curtains are automated. At 6.30pm, baby goes to bed and we close the curtains. The curtains close in BOTH rooms and cannot be overidden. Even though it is light until 10pm, from 6.30pm we have sit in our living room in darkness because you cannot have the curtains open in the living room and closed in the bedroom.

Whilst the food is good, the restaurant is a joke. On our first meal, we were victims of 'vintage shuffling' where the wine you order is replaced by a lesser vintage when it is brought to your table. When I put this to them I was told, unbelievably, that 'all vintages are the same' so what was the problem?

On our 2nd meal, we had a table booked for 7.30pm. We were seated at 9pm. Seriously. We were fobbed off with delay after delay. We were not even offered complimentary drinks whilst waiting.

Room cleaning is a joke. Some days they come, some they don't. Same with turndown. When they do come, the minibar isn't filled, toiletries are not replaced. We ran out of hankies and left the empty box on the vanity as a sign. They ignored it. One night a fresh sheet was mysteriously left, folded up, on top of our bed. Another day, they removed the refillable glass shower gel bottle from our room entirely!

There is no DVD player in the room. The hotel has ONE (for 103 rooms) they can lend you. But here is the best bit - to get your TV to switch to DVD mode, you need to ring reception and get an engineer to come up with a master remote control for the TV!! You need to do this EVERY time. Similarly if you bring an X-Box to use, as some families had. What a farce.

Despite claims to the contrary in the in-room literature, no free newspaper was ever delivered. A couple appeared on a table by the lift about 10am but that is no use when you are eating room-service breakfast at 8am.

Room service breakfast is a farce. 3 days out of 5 they left the clingfilm on the juice and kettle. 2 days out of 5 they forgot items which has involved calls down for replacement. Once, the trolley was put in our room and the girl walked off. She did NOT unfold the trolly or remove any of the food or cutlery from the tray they were stacked on!!

The babysitting we had arranged by email in advance was booked for totally different times to those we requested

The door handle to the loo in our suite came off in my hand. As did the shower tap for the rainfall shower.

When checking out, the luggage trolley we rang for did not arrive. The meal we were comped to make up for the 90 minute delay was on the bill. They tried to talk me into Dynamic Currency Conversion. Then, to cap it all, when we tried to have a last drink before leaving we sat, totally ignored, on the terrace for 20 minutes before leaving in disgust.

And these were the big things. There are also plenty of other little things which made me want to throttle someone:

Why have a huge balcony on the Capella Rooms if you don't provide patio furniture? Why have ultra-posh tea (loose, not bags) and then only provide nasty cartons of UHT milk in the fridge? Why was there a big childs hand-print on our patio door which had not been cleaned? Why do the 'personal assistants' NEVER answer the phone? (Always voice mail. And they are NEVER at the PA desk in the Living Room.) Why are room service trolleys not removed when you ring and ask? (After waiting 90 minutes the first time, we started to just dump them outside our door.) Why is the kettle flex so short it is impossible to put it anywhere except the floor (not very safe with kids about)? Why is the shelf in the bathroom too small to hold shampoo, shower gel and conditioner bottles? Why are there no fruit or flowers in the rooms?

Why are there no clocks in the rooms? (The TV's are the standard Philips hotel flat-screen which actually HAS a built-in clock - but it is disabled!) Why is there no CD player? Why is the spa café permanently closed? Why are there only a handful of outdoor tables for the (rare) times the sun comes out? Why do they refuse to serve food in the bar? Why are the restaurant menus placed in those scruffy leathery-plastic folders that you usually see in cheap cafes? Why are the corridors filled with disgusting plastic-like pot plants instead of fresh flowers?

I could go on, but I won’t. There is major, systematic management failure at this property. As I said earlier, the rates are now attractive if you know where to look but you are paying the price in terms of service. And it is still not that cheap - the Capella Rooms run at Euro 495 if you book direct. This could be such a good hotel if it was run by someone who cared, but Peter Bowling is not such a man. Be very wary of booking until the GM is replaced.

Comments