Isaac's

Expedia.com Booking.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• TheAndos's Profile Photo

Central Cork

We like to stay in the centre of towns so we can get around easily and Isaac's fits the bill. Had a big room - asked for quiet and it certainly was. Attractive entrance with a water fall down the hillside at the end. Security parking available in the local churchyard! Reception very helpful.

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo

Centrally located with its own waterfall

I have stayed at this hotel twice now. I must say that the first time was far better than the second. Not that the standard had gone down, if anything it had gone up.

The reason for my disatisfaction was a huge mix up over the date of the booking. Ok these things happen but it was more the way that it was sorted out that upset me rather than the mix-up itself.

I won't bore you with the details but if you book there, pray that you do not have to change the date of your stay or have to add an extra person. You would think that a hotel of this standard would be able easily to cope with changes as common as that. Sadly not, they were thrown into complete chaos.

Aside from that I have no complaints about the hotel itself or the rooms etc. I would still recommend it, even though I had a few problems myself.

Breakfast was good - I had the full Irish breakfast and the hotel restaurant was great in the evening. The bar too was nice. We met some very interesting characters having a quick drink before going to the theatre which is directly opposite.

Unique Quality: In summer you can eat outside by the side of a waterfall. Amazing

Directions: McCurtain Street is one of the main roads in Cork - Everybody will be able to give you directions. Fairly close to the bus station - not far from the train station.

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

A good self-catering option

Isaacs Hotel is situated on Mc Curtain Street, just three minutes walk from Patrick Street , railway and bus stations. The hotel has standard and superior hotel bedrooms but I am only familiar with the self-catering facilities. Last Christmas I rented an apartment here for friends who were visiting for the holidays. This apartment had two bedrooms, living room, kitchen and bathroom and was comfortably ( though not luxuriously ) furnished. Because our friends had come from Spain I was a bit worried about heating but was assured this would not be a problem. Though they didn't arrive until late evening the apartment was heated all day and was thoroughly warm and welcoming. I found the staff extremely helpful and was given free access to the apartment beforehand to pop some food in the fridge and throw up some Christmas decorations. A cot was provided and there were absolutely no additional charges other than those stated initially. Our friends loved the apartment's convenience with absolutely everything on their doorstep. Their young children were made very welcome and all in all they were very happy with the accomodation. We found the price per week, less expensive than all the other apartments we checked out.

Unique Quality: Isaacs has the benefit of having two great restaurants on the premises. Its location is superb, right in the centre of the city, in a picturesque courtyard setting.

Directions: Across the street from the Gresham-Metropole Hotel and in the same building as Isaac's restaurant

• Corks Best Little Hotel

Fantastic small hotel in Cork city. I stayed at this hotel an may occasions and have allways had a good experience. Fantastic service, great breakfast room and two good restaurants in the building. Try and get one of the rooms that do not over look the main road as it can be a little bit on the noisy side.

Unique Quality: Small deck area that looks on large articifical waterfall.

Directions: City Centre

More about Isaac's

Great base for seeing Cork and surrounding area.

by TripAdvisor Member henryhale

Our group of 6 has just returned from a long weekend exporing the Cork area.
After looking at the previous reviews for the Isaacs we booked for 3 nights and were not dissapointed.
Rooms are OK but it is the staff and the restaurant that are truly excellent.
Nothing was too much trouble for the Front Desk staff in helping us to learn about the area.
We tried the Isaacs Restaurant ( not associated with the Hotel) but were dissapointed by the quality and the 'rushed ' atmosphere. Greene,s Restaurant however provided a relaxed atmosphere together with outstanding quality and service.This judgement based on breakfasts and 2 evening meals. We usually try to be adventurous and eat out at different restaurants, however after first superb evening meal here and the dissapointment of Isaacs we returned to Greene's to see if it was always so good. Our instincts were right; in fact it only got better!

Isaac's was nice

We were really pleased on arrival. The hotel was right in the city centre. The waterfall looked beautiful. I was dismayed to learn at reception that our reservation did not include breakfast (I had been led to believe otherwise by the third party web site I booked it through). The receptionist explained that the terms and conditions had recently changed - I would advise other visitors to confirm this at the time of booking. She accidentally showed me details of the cost of the room and this was substantially less than I had paid via the thrid party web site. When I showed her what I had paid she kindly included breakfast for us. Having checked what the cost would have been had I booked directly with the hotel, I think this price difference highlighted the mark up that the third party web site was receiving more than anything else.

The room was lovely, although it had no view at all and the bathroom was decidedly average. I was woken early twice during my stay by someone either throwing lots of glass bottles into a dustbin in the courtyard, or someone emptying a dustbin full of glass bottles.

The Full Irish Breakfast was very nice indeed, although I made the mistake of ordering Eggs Benedict one morning, which resembled, and tasted like, poached egg, on stale bread with lemon curd sauce. Greene's restaurant in the evening was lovely, even if the main courses we ordered were a little disapppointing.

All in all we had a very nice stay, and the staff could not have been any friendlier or more helpful.

Good Value in centre of town

by TripAdvisor Member Shelly-Welly

My friends and I stayed at Isaacs for two nights recently. We had a triple room (212) which was at the front of the hotel, and a twin (208) which looked out over the kitchen area. Both views were uninspiring but the rooms were large, nicely furnished with new, modern style fittings (although the bathrooms looked older) and were good value for money, given that the main shopping and nightlife areas were just around the corner and over a bridge. Breakfast was forgettable (ditto the comments on the eggs benedict), but dinner in Greenes was absolutely superb - would highly recommend.
The rooms were a little noisy at night - particularly the room at the front, but this is to be expected in a town centre.
The waterfall area is lovely, but seemed to not be used very much - we took coffees outside after breakfast and it was very pleasant - a nice place for lunch perhaps.
Overall, very good value for money, but perhaps try a room towards the rear and if you don't get breakfast included in your deal, don't worry, you will find plenty of places to eat around and about the hotel.

Isaac's long weekend

by TripAdvisor Member fishamble

Excellent location for centre. Proper pubs in Coburg Street,also Dan Lowrys right opposite -traditional pub ,and good food also. We paid 70 euros b&b each per night, and for this price it's fine value- the rooms are good if a little shabby. Did not visit Greenes Restaurant in the hotel as on Friday/Saturday a large party of golfers was staying and it was noisy -although perfectly well behaved! Isaac's Restaurant (different ownership) next door is fab - locally sourced food, fairtrade items, lovely chatty local waitresses. Star Anise restaurant round the corner toward the town is just wonderful for that special dinner. All in all ,a grand place (and city) to stay in.

Short break

We have just returned from a short break to Cork, Ireland. Considering it is cheaper to fly than it is to stay in a 3 star hotel (city centre), I thought I would contribute to the reviews that we found necessary to read before every break/holiday, so hope that you find it valuable too.
We flew Friday and stayed 2 nights in the Hotel Isaac. Nothing amazing, but clean, tidy and really friendly front desk staff. The cost was 250 euros, room only rate. The best on the net, could not get booked anywhere else! The room was spacious, plenty of seating area, newly refurbished bathroom, bed was comfortable but bedding was not that nice. TV in room, tea/coffee facilities and hairdryer. Road outside the front of the hotel was busy but did not affect us. There is a hotel bar directly out the back, which was noticable. Waterfall feature under repair so did not sit outside.
Breakfast was not included but for 10 euros each, plenty of choice.
Loads of bars in the town centre, all within walking distance. bars had live music, no fee, busy and obviously full of the locals. Plenty of restuarants, bars to chose from during the day for snacks and beer!
Taxi from airport only cost 10 euros, but booked one from hotel and it cost 15 euros. Better off flagging one down really.
Overall a nice city, great shopping, great bars for food n drink.
Certainly recommend for weekend away.

loved it!!

by TripAdvisor Member silvertigress

i booked this hotel for a reasonable price on the net for a short break with my friend in July this year. When i got to the hotel (superbly located in the centre of cork) I was impressed from the outset. The waterfall was gorgeous, And it really wasnt something i'd expected to find in the heart of the city. perfect for a cold drink on a hot july night.

the rooms were spacious and clean, the hotel staff were warm and friendly and were more than happy to help with directions, places to go and restaurant ideas. The night porter was also lovley when we came back in the early hours a bit worse for wear!

overall i would highly reccommend this hotel for groups,couples and singles. if you want to visit one of the best restaurants cork has to offer then remember to book greenes well in advance!! if you have a family or small children, ask for a room to the back, as there is quite alot of noise from the courtyard! loved it! cant wait to go back.

Great Base, Poor Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member chyna00

I stayed at this hotel for two nights with my boyfriend. We booked over the internet and got a great deal, however would not pay the full asking price.

Hotel is located in a brilliant situation, 2 mins walk to the centre of things, shops, bars etc. Hotel carpark very hard to find, but staff were very friendly and helpful.

Rooms were large but decor was quite old fashioned, bed linen was old and worn, heavy wolly blanket and worn throw, not very pleasing. Bathroom was of poor standard, and the shower only worked if the light was switched on!! Our room was located at the side of the hotel and our view was straight in the opposite window of the adjoining hotel and above the kitchen area, so we got little sleep and room smelt of food all the time.

The restaurant menu was quite 'posh' not to everyones taste and quite expensive. You will not get a 'mans' dinner in this restaurant, and the most disappointing thing is there is no bar. The bar belongs to the restaurant, greenes, next door and although it serves drinks it is not somewhere you can go and relax with a pint and have a chat. You really have to be having a meal to be able to sit and have a drink.

As we booked on the internet breakfast was not included but we paid E10 each for our breakfast in greenes the first morning, something we did not do the second morning. Full breakfast was tiny and was reheated, toast was cold.

The only good thing about this hotel is the location and the staff.

2 Birthday Boys & 18 mates in Cork!

by lizhav

Hi all

I'll probably post on here lots over the coming weeks. But I have 2 important questions........but first some background. It's a mates 30th birthday so we've decided to whisk him off to Cork for the weekend as a surprise (it's also another mates birthday but it's not a biggy so he won't get the same attention.... but I digress). So first question is
1. Is there anywhere big enough to accommodate 20ish people (everything we've found is small B&Bs or sleeps 10 only)?
2. We want to organise a treasure-type hunt (for his present) and I need half a dozen or so (fairly well known) landmarks so I can write appropriate clues and plan the route?

oh a cheeky 3rd question....
3. Does anyone any pubs/clubs that play live music that can accommodate such a large group?

RE: 2 Birthday Boys & 18 mates in Cork!

by donalh

1.) hotel Isaac http://www.isaacs.ie/hotel_isaacs_cork/index.htm is probably best for what youre looking for.

2.)If its a treasure hunt you probably want six places within walking distance of each other. So here we go.
The Long Valley Bar
Shandon Steeple
St. Finbarrs Cathedral
O'Connells Fish stall, the English Market
Crawford Art gallery
Beamish & Crawford brewery.

3.) 20 poeple is not a large group in an Irish pub.

donal