Redclyffe Guest House

Redclyffe Guest House
Booking.com Travelocity Priceline.com

Satisfaction Average

More about Cork

enjoying the castle groundsenjoying the castle grounds

Sandwich & Salad StallSandwich & Salad Stall

Cork Opera HouseCork Opera House

Widderlings Lane ShandonWidderlings Lane Shandon

Campervan in Ireland

by Monseg

I'll be in Ireland for the merry month of May with my wife and campervan. I'm Irish but live in France and we're going to relive a tent holiday we had before we were married. Now France is very set up for campervans but are there any services besides campsites along the road. And can we stop anywhere? They sound stupid questions now that I look at them but I need to know. Your help would be most appreciated.

Cheers for now

Monseg

RE: Campervan in Ireland

by globetrott

I have spent a total of 6 months on various vacations in my motorhome camping "wild" in the streets, at the beach, at any free parking I did find. I simply obeyed the "No camping-signs" that existed unfortunately now and then, some of the best parkings like at Crough Patrick are blocked for higher cars by a bar, but you might as well drive on a few miles and find a lot of parkingspaces free of charge and absolutely nobody cares.
Every 10 days I went to a real campingsite in order to empty my toilet and fill up fresh water.
NO there are no services except at the campingsites, at least I did not realize.
The locals also told me that the most signs "NO overnight parking" are ment against the tinckers / gypsies and NOT the tourists !
In Glendalough you may stay at the official parking for an extra-fee of just 1 euro over night with your campervan.

RE: RE: Campervan in Ireland

by Bishops

I would be very careful "free camping" especially with tinkers, just for safety reasons. We were warned by family members when we over there, but you might be able to get permission to stay a night here or there in a pub carpark if you ask. Our brother in law did this, we decided to take the easy way out and pay for our sites. Most of the sites we stayed at were very good, safe and clean and not that expensive either.

RE: RE: RE: Campervan in Ireland

by globetrott

Of course I always stayed far away from the tinckers !!
the biggest problem with the campsites is that you have to arrive in the afternoon and are not able to pay before noon the next day, especially on a sunday. I once even left without paying, after having been sent to various private adresses in the village, where I should pay for the camping, because I arrived late at night.
Once I woke up in the morning on the mainsquare of Bantry, where I had parked my car at night and found myself in the centre of the weekly market the next morning. AND even in this case nobody knocked at my window to tell me to get lost...

RE: RE: Campervan in Ireland

by Ekaterinburg

There are no services apart from the campsites and by French terms,you will probably find these a bit basic. As the previous posters mention, parking in lay-bys, car parks and open spaces in general can be quite contentious because ther is an ongoing problem with travellers setting up camp in such places and being very difficult to shift.

Of course you could be lucky or unluucky and 'chance your arm' as we say inIreland but using the campsites would probably be easier. Enjoy !

Travel Tips for Cork

Cork Tip

by haimee

I was in Cork for five weeks studying with a group of students from Southwest Texas State University. My fondest memory is simply walking around Cork on afternoons with my friends trying to discover something we hadn't seen the day before.

Kiss the Blarney stone, at...

by Nobbe

Kiss the Blarney stone, at Blarney Castle. To kiss the Blarney Stone, you must bend over backward and lower yourself down about two feet at the top of the castle... Why kiss the stone? To kiss the stone is an old tradition, and is belived that you should receive the gift of gab!! See, I talk to much allready... For more information, please have a look at my Blarney Castle travelogue to the upper right corner of this page.

University College Cork (UCC)

by roamingpaddy

U.C.C. is well worth a visit,it is a very large college on the western side of the city close to the south Lee (river). Founded in 1845,It was originally called Queens College,as Ireland was under British rule at this time.
It is believed to be close to the original site of a school and monestry chosen by Cork's patron saint,Saint Finbarr.Hense the college motto; "Where Finbarr Taught Let Munster Learn"
Today it is a thriving university with students from all over the world attending.

Bookbuyers Anonymous

by Ekaterinburg about Vibes and Scribes

If you don't buy something in Vibes and Scribes you are either incredibly mean/poor or impossible to please. This shop has something for everybody: fact or fiction on every topic known to God or man; stationary and art supplies; music and video. Material is new and secondhand at absolutely bargain prices. Contemporary and classic fiction, for example, sells from as little as E3.99. The range of travel guides is superb and art and coffee-table books tempt you from every side. Whatever your interest, I guarantee that Vibes and Scribes will have a book for you. Staff are young, enthusiastic and helpful. This is definitely the place ito buy books on Ireland or any other presents you may wish to bring home with you.

Vibes and Scribes is open seven days a week from 10 am to 8pm. The original shop is on Bridge Street with a large second store now open on Lavitts Quay. Books, Arthouse Videos, Music, Stationary, College text Books, Gifts Prices are extremely reasonable, You can buy books here from as little as E1.99

Driving from Cork to Dublin

by Dabs

The trip from Cork to Dublin was much quicker than I thought it would be and even quicker than the via michelin guide projected. We took the N8 from Cork to Portlaoise where we were spending the night, at some point the road turned into M8. N8 is a national primary road, M8 is a motorway, the motorways have the most lanes and have the highest speed limits. Part of the M8 was a toll road, but I think there was only one toll in the amount of 1.90€. That section was 167km, 129km of it was motorway with a speed limit of 120km.

From Portlaoise to Dublin, we took the M7, another fast road to the M50 to get back to the airport. There is one electronic toll on the M50 to get to the airport, we paid that at the airport at the same time we paid the toll to get out of the airport.

Comments