Sheilas

Booking.com HostelBookers.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Average

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Budget Accommodation in Cork

I booked this place, through Hostelbookers as it was cheap and fairly central - easy walk from airport shuttle bus service stop at Isaacs hotel/ train/bus station. I paid £28.64 for 2 nights in a 6 bedded dorm (breakfast 3 euro extra)

Friendly, helpful reception staff.
    Keycard for room and access to the inner hostel - 2 euro deposit.
    24 hour reception
    Late night pass - hang onto this - no pass, no admittance after midnight - buzzed in, and show pass to night reception staff.

Towels rental 1 euro- pay 5 euros - 4 euros returned when towel returned.
    Breakfast (Continental style) 3 euros (I didn't eat here, so can't comment on quality etc)
    Free internet use- but need to notify reception staff if want to use pc's
    Confectionary, toiletries, post cards etc for sale.
    lots of maps, flyers etc.
    Safety deposit lockers
    Apparently, there is a cinema and sauna, but I didn't check these out.

My dorm was on the 2nd floor - up about 4 flights of stairs. Showers/WC's signposted
    Although there are separate signs for male and female washrooms, I found that these were mixed, as was my dorm!
    I thought that I'd booked a 6 bedded female dorm, so was quite surprised to find a young male, putting his bag on the bunk above mine! I went to reception to find out if there was a mistake. There wasn't - I was in a mixed dorm, there were no spare female beds, so it was me and 5 males bunking down! Not quite what I was expecting!

The dorm was clean, but quite compact - not too much room between the bunk beds.
    1 ensuite shower/wc. A mirror, waste bin and electric sockets in the room.
    Bedding - pillowcase/pillow, sheet and duvet with cover provided.

Directions: From Isaacs Hotel airport bus stop, on Mc Curtain Street, with the hotel behind you, walk left, to York Street - ignore the sign for Sheilas - it's pointing in the wrong direction.
    Climb the short steep hill.
    You'll see Sheilas at the top to the R.

• PippaFoxen's Profile Photo

Clean, relaxed and friendly budget accommodation

After much internet research before hand, I decided on Sheila's for my 4 day stay in Cork. I was travelling alone, so I wanted somewhere where I had the chance of meeting people. Happily, Sheila's was everything and more than I'd hoped for.

A short and well signed walk from the bus station leads straight to the hostel. Staff at reception were friendly and efficient. My room was a 4 bed all female dorm. Small, not much room for socialising, but comfortable, clean and bright.

On each of my nights there I shared with a different mix of women; various ages, origins, reasons for being there. All were friendly and pleasant. Meeting them was a highlight of my trip.

The shared kitchen was also clean, with everything needed to eat well and enough space to share food and stories with other guests. Internet access was cheap and readily available.

I loved Sheila's, but if there was a criticism that a few of us made it's that the social area at reception was a bit sterile. Just chairs and tables and coffee/snacks. A bit of music would have made it a bit more atmospheric and easier to get to know people, especially as the room was too small to socialise in.

Directions: 5 minutes walk from city centre

• Vija_v's Profile Photo

Cheap place where to stay

That was quiet funny time to stay in there, beacuse it was good chance to meet people from many places.
    Best time was in the evening when everyone get together and had some chat.

Unique Quality: II have never seen so very small rooms before!
    But shower and WC was ok, you can have 24 hours Internet access and kitchen where is possible to cook your favourite meal.

• abelliot's Profile Photo

Best place to stay in Cork

Wonderful place to meet people, clean, safe, secure accomodations. Sheets are clean, beds comfortable, people nice, area is safe. Close to city centre, pubs, shopping, river... Another nice feature of the hostel is the huge kitchen where someone is cooking something each night. Also there are 4 computers in the hostel for internet use (for pay) which is convenient.

Unique Quality: Neal, the guy working nights at the front desk was a great guy, fun to talk with, helpful, knowledgable of the area, can't say enough nice things about him. Everyone at the hostel is great.

Directions: If you have heavy bags, get a cab on Mac Curtain Street as it is a real workout to go up those few blocks to the hostel.

• Heard it is very nice.

Haven't stayed there myself, I am from Cork, but I have heard of it being recommended, and clean also, plus I am fairly sure that it has a very good reputation, from how the whole image of it appears to me.

They also supply vouchers for drinks in local pubs, and the likes.

Directions: From Patrick St, go straight over Patricks Bridge,straight thru' Bridge St. When you get to the end of Patricks Hill, go up until you meet the next crossroads, go right, its along a bit on the left, should be signposted. Feel free to ask if you are lost.

Comments