Dublin Road, Tivoli, Cork, County Cork, Ireland
Silver Springs Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Silver Springs Moran Hotel

Oh la la

We was in Cork for just one night at a wedding and found this hotel really comfortable with an excellent conference centre. We had a scrumptious meal on the wedding and everything was well looked after. The staff were very friendly. The breakfast is included in the price and it is definitely a proper full irish breakfast! :)

I wanted to make a weekend out of it but we unfortunately had to leave due to work commitments. I saw somewhere advertised that they are doing something special in the restaurant for Valentine's Day. It would be great if my husband and I could go back, especially on Valentine's Day!

pleasant but more suited to business travellers

by TripAdvisor Member NiamhDonegal

myself, my husband and 16 month old daughter stayed here for 3 nights on a special offer break while visiting family who live in the city. We found the staff to be in the main friendly and helpful. The hotel is clean and the foyer and bar and are very nice. We enjoyed a good breakfast served by friendly and efficient staff. However it is situated at the bottom of a very steep and long hill and is overlooking a very busy dual carriageway road so no chance of pleasant walks in the vicinity! We used the swimming pool which is at the top of this hill (a little too far to walk, especially if its raining) but we arrived in the middle of a ladies aqua-aerobics class so my hubby was a bit embarressed. All in all we enjoyed our experience but it is definitely a place more suited to business people.

Very nice stay

My husband and I stayed in the Silver Springs hotel last week and we had a great time. I got a great special offer and I simple couldn't resist. It was lovely to visit Cork again and the Silver Springs hotel is a perfect place to stay. The location is very convenient as it is just 5 minutes drive to the city centre. I thought the staff were very sufficient and the food was lovely as well. They have a georgeous bar menu in the lounge where we had lunch a couple of times. The Watermarq restaurant is lovely, very cosy as well.
Definitely a worth while staying here!

Family rooms need a revamp

We had a mixed view of this hotel .We are a family of 2 adults and 3 children under 6 .Having experienced other hotels in middle east ,asia and the US ,We have to say that this hotel fell far short of what we expected for a 4 star rating.
The family wing of the hotel both in the hallways and our room was drab and dated, and is in really bad need of a major revamp.Small areas like old fixtures and fittings eg. light switchs,and non-grouting in the edges of the bathroom floor and wall tiles,all add up to give the feeling of run-down and decrepitness. Sound proofing in our room was also poor.
The view from the southern side of the hotel is of the river Lee flowing through Cork City and fantastic it would have been if it wasn't obscured by a major fuel depot with tall rusting holding tanks .
To provide a balanced view ,the restaurant and lounge provided tasty food and presented it well .
The staff were also very helpful and friendly.
The proximity to the City of Cork was great too.
Bottom line is if after paying going rate for a four star hotel most people expect that 'little extra' and our view is we will go elsewhere for accomadation ,next time we are in Cork .(a beautiful city ....well worth a visit )

Not exactly what Expedia claims.

We reserved this hotel as the last stop on our Ireland adventure. We spent the most money on this hotel and it was the worst of our entire trip. The relaxing spa they show on Expedia's website looks so serene.....not what we found after we climbed the hill to the "spa" and found 40 children screaming in the pool. Not exactly what we had in mind....we were newlyweds!! The hotel simply has a membership at the gym, it's not exclusively for hotel guests as you might expect.
I must admit the staff were very nice and professional.

Very nice

by TripAdvisor Member BrianW01

Very nice hotel. Large, clean and comfortable rooms. Staff very friendly and helpful.

Excellent bar which serves a good selection of snacks and a fantastic, stylish restaurant downstairs serving some delicious food.

Some of the bedrooms were being refurbished while I was there so I expect the hotel to be even better once they are complete.

Only negative is the location - beside a busy road and a good mile or two outside the city

Disapponiting

by TripAdvisor Member Rjoc

I stayed in the Silver Springs Hotel in Cork for a week and was extremely disappointed.

The reception/lobby is spacious and welcoming with a nice bar area which serves excellent food. Below the lobby is the Watermarque restaurant (where breakfast is served) and I had a meal here with some friends. Not bad, but you will do a lot better for your money in the city centre.

The room I had was not great and as there was a conference on in the hotel, I was unable to change rooms. The decor was tired looking and altough I found the bed a tad small, it was comfortable. The window opened onto the main road and was located directly above a generator which seemed to be on 24/7.

The bathroom was by far the most disappointing. It was very small and even though I am only a little over five feet tall, I had to kneel down to take a shower because the shower head was so low.

The hotel advertises leisure facilities 'within the grounds' but you will be in for a shock as it is about a ten minute walk from the hotel and up a very steep hill. Not the most appealing trek after a long day. A soak in the bath tub had to saffice.

Without question the very best asset of this hotel is it's staff. They are by far the best staff I have encountered in any hotel in Ireland and if anything, the hotels actually lets them down.

With other hotels offering better locations and genuine 'on site' facilities, I would look elsewhere in Cork first.

A pleasant stay

We frequently stay in hotels and we found this one to be a good pick. It seemed to be well managed and the staff was attentive and friendly. Initially we were given a smoking room but we were swiftly provided with a non-smoking room with a view over the river. Other than this initial hiccup we have no complaints at all. None of the usual gripes were there (there were two ironing boards on every floor, breakfast times were reasonable, check out time was fine, water was hot, noise from the motorway was muffled, room clean, breakfast was served quickly, couldn't hear neighbours). Clearly a business hotel with an industrial facility not far away but seemed very popular at the weekend. Perfect for a no-nonsense stop over in Cork if you're driving.

Nice one

by TripAdvisor Member Angel Of The North

Arrived at 9.30pm tired after a 5 hour drive, two hour ferry trip and another 5 hour drive with a short break for dinner.

As you can imagine, I did not want to check into a "iffy" hotel, but all fears were dispelled at reception. Checked in by charming friendly staff and off to a very pleasant room overlooking the river and the outskirts of Cork.

Breakfast was served to order (no self service here) and was fine. Did not use the restaurant otherwise.

Good location if driving, but a bit out of town if not. Did not check, but I would think a local bus would pass the door, or a taxi would not be expensive.

Would stay here again without any hesitation.

All rounder of a hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Mancunian72

Visited the Silver Spring Hotel over the last weekend on Nick's Stag Tour of Cork.

The rooms were clean, the food was excellent, and although the drinks were quite expensive, the lifts were very smooth.

Some websites suggest a 15 minute walk to the centre, although Moses Kiptanui would struggle to achieve that. I would suggest 25-30 mins walk is more realistic, although a taxi is only 13 euros from the hotel, and usually 10 euros from the centre back to the hotel.

The staff were friendly, and even allowed us to stay in bed until 2pm on the day we were due to leave, in order to recharge for another guinness fuelled afternoon in Cork.

The maitre dee, Manuel (see the photo1&2 of man in white suit), was particularly helpful, although it was difficult to understand his dialect, and he was extremely keen to entertain the kids (photo1).

All said and done, I can sincerely endorse this hotel to readers of this website.

The graffiti section of Vibes and ScribesThe graffiti section of Vibes and Scribes

Inside An Crúiscín LánInside An Crúiscín Lán

Main Quadrangle University College CorkMain Quadrangle University College Cork

The stone steps to the BellsThe stone steps to the Bells

car hire from airport

by seejai

hi people

id like to hire a small car from cork airport from saturday am to sunday pm

carhire3000 says £43 and this includes insurance, fuel (which must be returned full) and other thingd which i require.

however, looking on 'http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/car.cfm' they seem to want you to pay a YOUNG DRIVERS FEE as i am 23, i think this is just going to get expensive.

as i clearly havnt hired a car before, who can advise me on the best company to use and to avoid getting wripped off?

im happy paying £50 for the duration but i really dont want any surcharges or nasty surprises.

not bothered about what car it is, either

many thanks for your input

cheers,
chris

RE: car hire from airport

by lfc

hi if you go to www.corkairport.com under the section to and from airport they give a list of car hire companies at the airport you could try these for best price

RE: car hire from airport

by cianodo

Hiya.

As an ex car rental firm employee I'm afraid to tell u that to the best of my knowledge it is an industry wide practice to charge a young drivers fee for those under 23 (in some cases 25). The idea is it offsets the higher risk of a loss.

Also be aware that on arrival at the desk u will be offered what is called super CDI (Collision Damage Waiver) at approx €10 - 12 per day. While it is not necessary it does give u peace of mind that that there will be no nasty charge at the end if u were to scratch the car!!!!

Thirdly, it's Christmas and they're busy so prices are higher than the rest of the year.

The flip side is that Irish Car rental prices are some of the most competitive in Europe so it's not all bad. Try the big 3 direct for the most competitive rates ; Avis, Hertz and Budget!

Hope this helps, but I wouldn't rely on public transport either!!!

Happy hunting