The Gresham Metropole Cork

Tags

Beer Tasting
See Amenities
twojazztravelers's Profile Photo

Wonderful place.. except during the jazz festival

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on October 31, 2004

We stayed at the Gresham Metropole during the jazz festival thinking it would be a great way to enjoy the festival. We didn't know that Dixieland bands and pub bands that play "Tequila" and "Route 66" play the late evening gigs. The hotel staff was wonderful, and the hotel itself is great. If you're more of a West Coast jazz fan or Latin, then you're out of luck. We went to bed one evening to an awful cover of Tequila that never seemed to end as the clarinet of a dixieland band seems to take endless solos. Mix these bands together, and you get a difficult night's sleep. I went to bed with my Ipod playing soothing music. Again, I can't say enough about the staff of the metropole, but it's not the place for a soothing night during the festival. Stay at the Hotel Isaac across the street since I saw most of the musicians staying there.

Unique Quality: The dining room for breakfast is great because you look out on the North Channel of the River Lee. Very relaxing.

kimod74's Profile Photo

Hotel in Cork

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on July 5, 2004

Nice hotel. The rooms were older as far as the design of the hotel and building. Everything was very nice, plenty of amenities in the room. There is a great bar down in the lobby that was quite lively in the evening. We had a great dinner in the hotel restaurant. All in all I really enjoyed this hotel.
However, Cork is a confusing city to find a hotel in at night and we drove around that darn river a gazillion times!
We stayed here in May 2001 on a road trip through Ireland. Actually we had to get the heck out of my husband's dad's house in Dublin for a couple days...I think he needed a break from all of us.

Unique Quality: People were very friendly, staff friendly.
Watch out for the parking nazi in the garage! Jerk.

Directions: Over the bridge by the river! No, it's on the other side, over the OTHER bridge, which end? Dammit, where are we? It's dark out! IWhat the f**k? Oh my god, I almost hit that car! Watch out for the person crossing the road! We are going to die.

Nearby The Gresham Metropole Cork

• Business Services
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Cork Travel Forum

Need advice about Cork, Ireland? Visit the Travel Forum for Cork and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Cork hotel reviews