Pier Road, Kinsale, County Cork, Ireland

Booking.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Annie_D's Profile Photo

Good Hotel in Kinsale

I stayed here this past weekend and it was a great experience. The hotel is just across the room from Kinsale Harbour. The facilities were great but I had a mad/weird experience in my hotel room - 312. I was moving the chair to get to an iron and once I lifted the chair, a whole load of water came out of it. I thought that I was seeing things and had to ring down to the reception to get someone to confirm that I was not seeing things. Such a funny experience.
    I would recommend this hotel to anyone who stays in Kinsale as the staff were brilliant and helped me in anyway.

Unique Quality: The view of Kinsale harbour from room 312 was amazing. The bed was kingsize - never seen a bed like that before. The pool was great with an amazing outdoor hottub. The food was lovely and not too expensive.

Directions: You have to get a bus from Cork Bus Station in the Number 10 Depot. It brings you right to Kinsale and stops about 500 yards from Acton's Hotel

• clws's Profile Photo

"Nice Views & Convienent Location"

All the hotels you will find in Kinsale are older, this one is one of the ones we have stayed at on 2 occasions. They are in the process of refurbishing this one right now and the main level is beautiful! We did not stay here this last trip, but did go inside. They have opened up the downstairs more and redid everything and it is lovely. I'm not sure if they will be working on the rooms soon or if they allready have. Based on our stay last year, each room has it's own insuite bathrrom. The only drawback on the bathroom is the weird glass door that swings out and doesn't extend to the end of the tub, so they have the water pressure to the shower lowered to avoid water getting on the floor (which it still does). The room itself is nice sized with chairs for comfort and all rooms have their own electric tea kettle and the items necessary for making tea in your room. The rooms on the front overlook the harbor and have a nice view. The windows are a little high though. They serve a wonderful breakfast in the dining room down stairs, try the porridge! It is really good with some of the brown sugar on top! They also have serve lunch in the bar area and dinner in the bar area and the Captains Table Restaurant on premises. Very convenient to walking down to the center of Kinsale or all around.

Unique Quality: Pool, fitness facilities, Rooms on front have nice views, convenient location.

***

76 bedrooms ( 20 family ) Lift, parking, sport and leisure facilities

Unique Quality: Overlooking the waterfront and marina. It has a bar, bistro reastaurant and lounge, the bedrooms are very good.

More about Actons Hotel

Fantastic Location

by TripAdvisor Member Tracey-McLeod

Stayed here with 2 girlfriends for the weekend last week. We had a triple room with a fantastic view of the harbour, the room was a bit dated however it suited us as we were on foot and the location is close to everything, the hotels late residents bar is great to squeeze in that extra glass of wine and munch on a plate of freshly made sandwiches. We were constantly calling room service and every time the service was prompt and came with a smile (possibly about the untidiness of our room)! We would def use this hotel again whilst in Kinsale

Fab hotel

by TripAdvisor Member annieharp

Lovely hotel, took 2 small children booked a suite they had their own room adjoining ours which was fantastic. Went to local cafe called Lazy Jacks for breakfast which was great, Used the hotel pool everyday and went to a fabulous beach Garretstown which is about 10 mins drive away. Are some lovely shops here unfortunately kids don't 'do' shopping, really nice place to stay.

Tatty

I stayed here with my parents and sister for a wedding.

Plus Points:

Lovely views over the harbour
Prompt room service and excellent food

Not so plus points:

You'll be met by an East European receptionist who is truly unpleasant (rude, abrupt and clueless). Actons needs to remember that
people come to Ireland because of the warm welcome.

The rooms were tatty and old fashioned. I paid 179 euros per room excluding breakfast so I didn't expect to stay in the equivalent of a
2 star 1970s B&B. My mother washed the tea cups before using them ("just in case") and there is a general air of neglect with peeling walls, torn carpets and chipped wood work. I did wonder when my bed coverings were last washed.

I had booked in for 2 nights but we had dinner at the Bluehaven Hotel
and found out that they had rooms so we promptly moved en masse. What
a difference, roaring fire in reception, friendly receptionist, plush
modern rooms, plasma TVs etc. We ate at the restaurent (excellent seafood) and at the cafe attached to the hotel. I am really glad we moved as the weekend would have been a write off otherwise.

Well Over Priced & Very Tired

by TripAdvisor Member goodjudge

Probably the worst value hotel I have stayed in for years, Actons web site and general marketing is deceptive at best, and downright misleading. The rooms are very dated, there is a general odour around all the areas behind the tidy reception area, and the prices are really not good value. The management are OK, and people are pleasant enough, but the owners need to realise when they are being too greedy. Stay somewhere else in Kinsale, and they might buy new bedding (worn, mid brown blankets) spritz up the bathrooms (milldew, cracked tiles and mould) and spend a couple of the many pounds they are ripping people off for! trip advisor is generally very accurate, this rating is not representative of a very expensive £180 per night grim and unpleasant venue!

So Disappointed

by TripAdvisor Member bluecafe59

Stayed in Room 216 for 2 night break with my husband, The cost of the stay did not in my opionion give value for money, this hotel has so much potential but lack of attention to detail is dreadful. Our room was just dirty. the mildew and mould in the bathroom was frightening. We had a wonderful view of the Harbour but this was spoiled by the mould and mildew on the white of the windows. The walls, skirtings, hairdryer were filthy. The entrance to the hotel is deceivingly nice as the rest of the hotel excluding the new Lesiure Centre is worn and tatty. On asking for a brandy from the extensive list in the lounge/bar it turned out that they only had one from a list of at least 8. On accepting this lonely brandy we were informed that they didnt have brandy glasses and offered us brandy in a wine glass.......... The second night the same problem except this time the brandy list had increased by one other...still no brandy glasses. Surely knowing you have guests who drink brandy a simple trip to a local shop would have produced a couple of glasses. We did not eat at the hotel for fear that the state of the bedroom might reflect the kitchens.
The Leisure Centre was Lovely and spotlessly clean but body massage jets and Steam room were out of order..a pity. On dressing in the leisure centre dressing rooms I was amazed to hear the staff of the hotel talking and not in a nice manner about a group of guests ( a golfing party). I did not complain to the receptionist on leaving as I did not want my complaint llstened to by the next guest using the Leisure Centre. Instead I will vote with my feet and never stay there again nor recommend it to anyone. And the price €321 for two nights room only in my opionion "Criminal" Photos are available on request.

Acton's Kinsale, Yuck

by TripAdvisor Member comedor

The staff bravely tries to overcome a property that the top management of Acton's should be embarrassed by. How can any executive be proud of that property? The public areas were OK, but every other part of the hotel was extremely worn, dingy, and even broken. (Carpets torn, tiles chipped, wallpaper peeling, even the fabric on chairs in the restaurant was caked with spilled food.) Frankly, if I'd been in earthquake country, I would have been fearful for the structural integrity of the building. Our party had two rooms and both were similarly poor.
Better-rated options were all booked and we were left with a choice between Actons and Trident. I booked this to my regret (I looked at Trident while there and that only confirmed my regrets). I will avoid any/all Actons in the future just out of principle that someone could be so neglectful. I was very eager to leave.
What we did like: The parking lot.

Needs a Makeover

by TripAdvisor Member WSyankee

I stayed at the Actons for two nights, September 13 & 14 while on a golf buddy trip. While a great location, the rooms are awful and in need of serious remodeling if the hotel wants to continue as a premium property. There is no need to repeat the previous review because it reflected the situation accurately from my view. The update is that nothing has been done to the Actons and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for an overnight stay. But, there may not be other alternative if you want to stay in Kinsale. It's a lovely town and very quaint.

Comments