Kieran's Folk House Inn

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

Good For No Data

More about Kinsale

Downtown KinsaleDowntown Kinsale

Benazer ready for departureBenazer ready for departure

Kinsale, narrow streets with colourful housesKinsale, narrow streets with colourful houses

Desmond CastleDesmond Castle

gourmet festival

by mrylee

I need info about a gourmet festival in Kinsale?????

RE: gourmet festival

by Waoife

Check out http://www.kinsalerestaurants.com/autumn.php

RE: gourmet festival

by donalh

Its one of the highlights of the year here in Kinsale - a weekend of absolute indulgence and great fun. Originally it started out almost as a party at the end of the season for all the restaurants but it has grown over the years. It is still great fun though and doesn't take itself too seriously.

Personally, although a complete glutton, I can't manage the entire weekend so I concentrate on three events that are unmissable.
1. The opening.
2. The 'Taste of Kinsale' at Saturday lunchtime (incredible value, quality and fun), and
3. The lobster bake in Actons on Sunday. Lobsters, champagne and jazz, hard to beat.

As previous poster says check out the website for the 'real' details. If you need anything else come back.

Donal

Re: gourmet festival

by jeanenolan

Morning: I will be in Kinsale for the festival and was wondering if to enjoy the festival I have to buy a ticket and following the crowd to the select venues. The 'Taste of' festivals we have in the States is more like a street festival and you pay as you go, picking the food you want. Anything like that? The website makes it sound like if you don't buy a ticket for the entire event, you can't participate. Thanks for your insight.

Re: gourmet festival

by donalh

You need to buy tickets to any of the events. They are good value though.

Travel Tips for Kinsale

Kinsale Town

by Nobbe

Kinsale is one of Ireland's most picturesque coastal towns, hosting international sailing events, as well as being Ireland's gourmet capital, due to the quality of both local seafood and the international chefs the town attracts.

Movie making

by Nobbe

Went to Charles Fort not far from Kinsale to explore the Fort and ended up in the middle of a movie filming. Not sure I'm part of the movie, but it also might be that I'm somewhere in the far background (if the editor forgot to clip some takes). So what's the movie about? Heh, not really sure, but I remember some fragments that the actor said: "...and all Irish should be equal to the English...".

I am Sailing, I am Sailing...

by Ekaterinburg

Well, I can't sail but I would reallly like to learn. On Saturday mornings in Kinsale if you are toiling up St John's Hill, you will frequently be stopped in your tracks by crowds of noisy, happy children all dressed in bright red life jackets and wetsuits. They are trooping down the hill to the pier from the Kinsale Outdoor Education Centre. Eventually I plucked upthe courage to get the brochure and found to my delight, that this school teaches all ages from 10 years up to Grandparents.

Courses are really comprehensive and you can do weekend courses, five day courses or just one day introductory courses. They teach windsurfing as well as sailing and I couldn't think of anything better than a whole day out on the water in Kinsale, learning a new sport. According to the brochure, what you need to bring is just swim gear, change of clothes, packed lunch and sunblock. That sounds prety uncomplicated. Watch this space for updates on my sailing skills!

Garretstown beach

by evaanna

On our way from the Old Head of Kinsale to the town itself we stopped to bask a little in the sun on Garretstown Beach. It was July, the peak of holiday season, but the beach wasn't crowded, far from it - there were just a few people sitting on the rocks at its edge, walking or lying on the sand, and a handful of people bathing. Quite a few cars were parked by the road very close to the beach but their passengers were nowhere to be seen. Parking is not a problem and the beach is so close to the road that you can actually breathe in the sea air and admire the view without getting out of the car at all.

The shrine to Our Lady at Ballinspittle

by evaanna

The shrine to Our Lady at Ballinspittle was erected for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception on 8 December 1954. Its form is reminiscent of the Grotto of Our Lady at Lourdes. During my trips in Ireland I have seen a few such 'grottoes', so it must be a popular way of presenting Our Lady. But this particular shrine is unlike any other in one respect: the 1.75 m high statue was apparently seen to move a few years ago and immediately it became the object of devotion, with pilgrims arriving there from all over Ireland. I looked and looked but couldn't notice any movement. We obviously came too late for the miracle, but we could still admire the abundance of beautiful flowering shrubs surrounding the statue. A true miracle of nature!

Comments