70 Main Street, Kinsale, Ireland

Marina of KinsaleMarina of Kinsale

Sails on Kinsale HarbourSails on Kinsale Harbour

A visit this summer

by clws

We are thinking about spending a few days in Kinsale with our children this summer. We have stayed at the Trident and Actons in the past and my husband has stayed at the Blue Haven before. But usually it is just him or the two of us. We have 5 children, and are looking at a place that is large enough for all of us. When checking out the hotels, we have noticed that they have all increased their nightly rate quite a bit. It hasn't been that long ago that we were there either, so not sure why, unless it is the recent renovations most of them have done. Does anyone know of any nice places we could stay that are reasonable? There will be 7 of us and we are looking at August.

RE: A visit this summer

by donalh

Hi guys,
I think you should be looking at a house rental rather than a hotel. There is a lovely place up near the Spaniard (if you know Kinsale) called Scilly House. I know they have a website but I can't find it!! In the meantime here is a link through one of the booking agents

by clws

Thank you so much! A house would be great! Do you think they would rent for just a few days, as that is all the time we will have on our return trip. Thank you for the links! I know where you are talking about! I walk by there a lot when I am in Kinsale. I walk all over that beautiful place whenever we go :-)

Thanks,
Cindy

by donalh

Hmmm - most people just rent houses for a minimum of a week in the Summer. There is another place called Friars Lodge - very central and yet quiet http://www.friars-lodge.com/ . I know they have apartments as well as rooms and that might be appropriate. Drop both of them an email and see if they will rent for a few days.

Donal

Donal,

Thank you for your help! Hopefully we will be able to find something! I would love to show my children the wonderful town of Kinsale. I will be pulling up this additional link you gave me and see if they have anything available for our dates. Your help is much appreciated!

Cindy

Travel Tips for Kinsale

Charles Fort

by Nobbe

The Battle of Kinsale, fought in 1601 between a combined Spanish, an Irish force and English armies, was a turning point in Irish history. The harbour is guarded by two very fine star-shaped fortresses built in the 17th century: Charles Fort can be seen in the distance on this photo.

Smoking In Pubs A Sign Of The Past

by clws

Effective March 29, 2004, the Irish Government has implemented a ban smoking in the workplace in Ireland. This means that with effect from that date smoking is forbidden in enclosed places of work in Ireland. This includes office blocks, various buildings, public houses/bars, restaurants and company vehicles.

Any person found guilty of breaching the ban on smoking in the workplace may be subject to a fine of 3,000 euro. The owner, manager or person in charge of the workplace is legally responsible for ensuring that the ban on smoking in the workplace is complied with.

Sailing

by Nobbe

The coast south west of Kinsale provides some of the best cruising grounds in Europe. Kinsale Yacht Club has been well established as a significant sailing centre for nearly twenty years. A boat is handy to have if you want to sail... Well, if you don't have any of your own it can be hired in Kinsale Town.

The Mall and Bowling Green

by Ekaterinburg

If you want to explore a little further then it's time to strart climbing. Beyond Acton's Hotel on the waterfront, turn right onto Denis Quay where you will see another terrace of elegant georgian townhouses, former captains residences. Then turn right again up the steep ST John's Hill and you will come to the pleasant park called Bowling Green and the Municipal Hall. Kinsale being rather an arty-farty sort of place you can be fairly sure there will be something interesting happening in this hall. The last time I passed there was a '5 Rythms - Ecstatic Dance' class in full swing. Further along the mall are the old Alms Houses built in 1682 for the destitute and old and everywhere there are stunning vistas of the harbour and town spread out below. Not many people penetrate up this far which is a shame , because it is a fascinating part of town, full of little nooks and crannies crying out to be explored. The photos show the Ecstatic Dance Class (sounds great doesn't it?) and some of the houses on St John's Hill.

Kinsale Crystal- Better than Waterford

by TRimer

When you are in Kinsale, visit the Kinsale Crystal Factory and store. Started in 1991 by a former Waterford Crystal master craftsman, this small workshop produced traditional, full-lead, mouth-blown and hand-cut crystal.

This is not just a shop- you get to see the craftsman create crystal up close. Unlike Waterford which is mass-produced, this is deep cut crystal. This involves cutting the crystal on high angled wheels by hand - a slow, intricate process, but one that produces the most perfect, clear, crisp crystal.

I bought some wonderful pieces which they shipped back to the state for me- including a ring holder, wine coaster and small vase.

Located on Market Street.

Comments