Eldon Hotel

Bridge Street, Skibbereen, Ireland

Satisfaction Average

More about Skibbereen

Whitethorn Lodge - Breakfast on the Patio Today ?Whitethorn Lodge - Breakfast on the Patio Today ?

Tree Lined Drive Leading To Whitethorn LodgeTree Lined Drive Leading To Whitethorn Lodge

Whitethorn Lodge - Welcoming Open FiresWhitethorn Lodge - Welcoming Open Fires

Whitethorn Lodge Dining Room With Lovely GardenWhitethorn Lodge Dining Room With Lovely Garden

Things to do in an around Skibbereen

by MikeStarr5

Wondered if anyone could recommend some interesting things to do and see in or around Skibbereen in February.

Don't have a car but could hire one if necessary.

Don't fancy hanging around for the bus in the cold.

Thanks in advance

Mike Starr

RE: Things to do in an around Skibbereen

by PeteNL

The peninsulas near Skibbereen are great to visit - Mizen Head, up to Bantry, Beara...but I think a car is really the best option. There may be a direct bus to Bantry, but it probably misses most of the scenery. And for the touring (tourist) buses the season will start around May.
You can try http://www.buseireann.ie/site/home/ for some timetables of the buses.
Have a nice trip!

P.

RE: Things to do in an around Skibbereen

by donalh

You need a car Mike. As pete said there are lovely areas nearby that should not be missed. There are also fantastic walks closer to home but all will require a car. Find Lough Ine, Castletownshend (have lunch or dinner in Mary Anns), Baltimore, Schull, Glandore (find Drombeg stone circle). Take a day trip out to Cape Clear (boat from Baltimore), find Jeremy Irons pink castle. Enjoy.

Donal

Re: Things to do in an around Skibbereen

by MikeStarr5

Very belated thanks for your advice - We hired a car in the end and enjoyed it all so much that we have been back a few times since. My partner was born in Skib and some of her family still live there.

We did ask them but you know what it's like though when you live somewhere, quite often a (virtual) tourist the area better than your average local.

Travel Tips for Skibbereen

Frozen in Time - Yet thoroughly Modern

by WhispersWest

"Slow down and Enjoy the People of Skibbereen"

Skibbereen was a "faery-led" find. Our plan had been to drive the west coast of Cork in search of the Ruins of one of our trip mate's ancestral home. We stopped in for a bite and found ourselves still there three hours later, wandering her streets, searching every small shop for treasures and sharing conversations with many of her citizens. I think I know most of the pups there by name, as well!

Though we still had plenty of daylight left, we decided that a long drive back to Doolin was not something we found ideal. We asked in a local shop for a good recommendation for a B&B. They not only had one in mind, probably a family member, but called ahead and made sure they could accommodate all of us. I guess the might have also been a town crier of sorts, as we were welcomed heartily at the first pub we came into as the Cowboy singers. After assuring the Pub owner that we would be back to join in on the Trad session after we found our B&B, he actually had someone to go along and shw us the way!

The trad session was fabulous and the B&B was a nice, bracing ten minute walk back, albeit very dark.

I think that we could have taken a week there and not lacked for a pub to play in or a new discovery to make. It felt like we had stepped back into a slower paced era much removed from the distractions and uproar of today's world. My photographic eye was constantly moving from brightly colored building to the next, searching for that one truly great shot. The dilemma was that they were all truly great shots!

Skibbereen

by songlines

"Skibbereen is a market town in West Cork"

I have not had much time to do a write up on Skibbereen, but here is a very good website which can give you lots of information.
www.skibbereen.ie

"The town plan of Skibbereen"

I have copied this townplan from the website of the Skibbereen Business Promotions and am using it with their premission. If you would like to visit their website it is www.skibbereen.ie
Please click on the photo to enlarge it.

WINTER-TIME IN SKIBBEREEN

by songlines

"CHRISTMAS FAIR - STALLS"

THIS IS A BEGINNING AS IT IS THE FIRST YEAR THAT THIS TOWN HAS SET UP CHRISTMAS STALLS IN THE MANNER OF THOSE FOUND ON THE CONTINENT. THE BIG DIFFERENCE IS THAT WE DON'T HAVE THE REALY COLD WEATHER TO GO WITH IT, BUT WE DO HAVE THE MULLED WINE!
I FOUND A VISIT TO THIS CHRISTMAS FAIR NICE AND SEASONAL, A NICE PLACE TO TAKE CHILDREN TO.

WHAT GOES ON IN SKIBBEREEN

by songlines

"A TASTE OF WEST CORK - FOOD FESTIVAL"

This past wekend we had a lovely fair at Skibbereen, we were lucky with the weather and the sun was shining beautifuly.
I went down town to enjoy all the fun and people at the fair.
Eventhough there were lots of people, parking was no problem and soon I was looking at a colourful sight, made some photos, met some people and sampled some of the delicious foods. Though I have no sweettooth perse, I must say that the homemade fudge was my favourite, it is also sold at Bantry market on a Friday. It is so delicious that most of us only buy it in very small quatities as otherwise we would get toothache from gobbeling it all up in one go!

"SITTING AROUND LISTENING TO MUSIC"

There was a band playing jazz, there was also the town's brass band playing further along, both adding to a fun atmosphere.

"LOTS OF STUFF TO DO FOR THE CHILDREN"

Face painting, Trying their hands at pottery, and other fun to be had for the children, so an outing for the whole family really.

"LOVELY FOOD STALL"

"SOME FOLKS TAKING A BREAK!"

"ALSO LOCALLY PRODUCED CRAFTS ON SHOW"

"MORE FUN FOR THE CHILDREN"

"BREADS AND SCONES"

More photos of Skibbereen town

by songlines

"Skibbereen on a winter's morning"

The river Illen flows through the town of Skibbereen. Because there is now a by-pass which connects the N71 coming in from Clonakilty and Leap straight to the N71 going on towards Ballydehob and Bantry, the town has been opened up to all of us and has given us the opportunity to many fine views of both the town and of the river. I am taking full advantage of this when I make photos. The river Illen has served Skibbereen well in the past, boats would come down the river straight up to the store houses, delivering products such as Indian corn...
Today the river is used to the full by the local rowing club members.
The Illen is tidal. I often see people fishing along it.

Comments