Jackson's Hotel and Conference Centre

Satisfaction Poor

More about Jackson's Hotel and Conference Centre

a dull dirty bedrooml

by TripAdvisor Member oaklandhouse

i have just booked 3nights stay for my mum and sister and neice in a family room in jacksons hotel ballybofey. on the night before they left i called to see them and was shocked to see the state of the room. the duvet cover on one bed was all water stained as if someone wet the bed and let it dry in , the other duvet had lipstick inside the cover . the covers were very worn and should have been in the bin . the carpet was badly stained andfilty dirty. one tiny ceiling light dim and only in the corner ofthe room. the lamps flikered and did not work properly.the curtains were worn and didnt close right, i was shocked as these places get there grants and are approved acc.by the tourist office the owener agreed to my complaint while he and his dog go in and out or the kitchen. hows that for a clean kitchen i could go on and on . as this was my treat for them they were not going to say a word . but this is how people are allowed to get away with this rubbish way of treating guest s b b sector would not get away with these stan dards

Cosy well appointed Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member John34

Spent quite a bit of time in Donegal on business and found Jacksons Hotel to be one of the best on my trip. It is undergoing something of a make-over so some of the earlier reviews may have had a point - I must admit they did put me off to the extent that I left this hotel to last and what a shame I would have preferred to have stayed here more. Reception staff were friendly and efficient and even offered me their own personal umbrella to pop to the shops - Irish hospitality still lives. My room was brand new - large LCD TV, exquisite bathroom with incredibly large shower head - the type you wish you had at home- comfortable bed and a nifty reclining swivel office chair. The restaurant where both dinner and breakfast are served is delightful and the food good and reasonable. There's even a proper size bar off reception with it's open fire. One other essential in Ballybofey - it has a carpark. I would rate it 3+ star and they will probably be 4star when the new wing is opened. Recommended

Best Hotel in Donegal

by TripAdvisor Member StrabaneGirl

We had our wedding in Jacksons Hotel in December 2006. The staff, particularly Ankush, Barry and Margaret were incredible. They looked after us and our guests extremely well - nothing was too much trouble.
I have to write the review about the bridal suite which we stayed in - it was the nicest hotel room I have ever been in. I think they have a couple, so I don't know which one we were in - but I think it was in the old part of the hotel. The bridal suite was huge, with lots of room in the living room part, a huge bathroom and a fantastic massage chair which was lovely to sit in at half three in the morning after being on the dance floor from 10pm dancing my heart out at my wedding.
I am sorely tempted to see if my new husband and I can book into the bridal suite again for a long weekend. Thank you Jacksons for the best day of our life.

Complimentary

by TripAdvisor Member Matilda2

We stayed down Sat 17th Jan to use up our complimentary night B&B due to a terrible stay in February 06. However I must say Barry had put us up in a suite this time around and it was excellent. We had a kingsize bed, massage chair, large TV, CD Player/Hi Fi unit, very spacious room. I may add though that the mattress was a bit past it and saggy in the middle, there were a few holes in the walls with plaster missing and the carpet was quite dirty in places. With saying that though the leisure facilities are very good and the food is excellent.

Jackson Just Nice

by TripAdvisor Member Ashers79

We stayed here for my birthday surpirse in June.

On arrival to the hotel there was a lot of building materials around as they were in the process of building a large extension to the hotel.

There is ample car parking space at the back of the hotel in their own split level car park. This is secure, covered and has security cameras.

Checking in was quick, although there were 2 weddings on at the hotel that day so the foyer was extremely busy.

The hotel room was very large. We has requested a suite which includes a massage chair.

The bed was just average, quite hard and certainly not delux. The bathroom was again average. A little dated, and the shower was positioned over the bath so if your not mobile it would be akward to get in to.

We visited the hotel bar for a quick drink, but because of the two weddings on we could not get seats and the bar was packed with people.

We ended up leaving the hotel and going to town to have a drink and dinner because it was just too busy. The town is only about a 3 minute walk.

Overall our stay was fine, the staff were pleasant and we had no problems during our stay, however it would of been nice if they had told us when booking that they had 2 large weddings on.

If visiting this hotel in summer I would expect there to be weddigs every weekend, so it's not suitable if you are looking for a quiet, romantic break away.

Lovely hotel service not so lovely

by TripAdvisor Member marian40

We have just returned from a 2 night Bed/Breakfast and one night dinner break which was advertised on the Jackson hotel website. On checking in there was a bit of a queue which is understandable as it was Easter Weekend. The room we were allocated was beautiful, large and one of the newer rooms. We didnt eat in the hotel on the first evening and went up to Kees Hotel approx 10 minutes from Jacksons. For 34 Euro we had the most enjoyable meal where the service was excellent. The next morning we went down for breakfast just after 9am and what we were greeted with was total chaos. In the main dining room the queue was outside right up until the hotel reception and we were directed to go to the other dining roon which usually serves snacks. On reaching this we were again in a queue which was just not moving... this was because no one was actually serving the staff just seemed to be floating about. People were complaining and nobody seemed to be listening. 20 minutes later the hotel manager arrived and began to serve at least getting things moving. That evening we then went down for dinner after having booked the previous day and had requested a window seat, which we were assured would be no problem.

On arrival we were told that they didnt have one. (Even though in their reservation sheet which we saw, it did state a window seat had been requested). On ordering the meal, I realised that my selection was not recognised by my partner, as he had been given the wrong menu! It was taken away without an apology. The dish he eventually selected, was not available that evening. In addittion, the wine had to be reordered twice before arriving, the chicken dish he ordered was virtually left untouched as it was dry and tasteless, (and beleive me, he can pretty much eat anything). Also, the service was hughely rushed. Plates literally dropped in front of you, and when we went to replenish our bread from the basket, we realised it had been cleared from the table without even asking. Serving staff had also developed a keen sense of avoiding eye contact.

Compared to our previous evening meal in a nearby hotel, the whole experience was disappointing and a let down. The accommodation was excellent, but I would reccommend that you make alternative dining arrangements. Kees is particualarly special, and rather exceptional, but there is also an inexpensive Indian restaraunt just one minute walk away.

Do not stay here!

by TripAdvisor Member Renno

I like to think that I'm a fairly relaxed individual, and have never been prompted to complain about a hotel, until now! The service this weekend was so bad as to have been faintly comical, although I'm sure most people wouldn't have seen it that way.

On check in, we (wife and I, two boys four and 18 months) were greeted (in the loosest sense of the term) and allocated a family room (this was at 4.30pm). After a long journey, it would have been nice to have relaxed in the room for a while - unfortunately, the room was still being cleaned, and we had to wait outside the room for 15 minutes (reception didn't think that this was worth telling us).

In fairness the rooms were clean, although the picturesque view over the air conditioning unit/kitchen extractor units wasn't the best, and didn't particularly enhance the smell of the room. Anyway - no need to complain.

In fairness the one bright spot was the swimming pool, which was clean, enjoyable and thoroughly relaxing. Bizarrely the staff here were very helpful and friendly as well.

Dinner in the restaurant was nothing to write home about, my son's breaded fish had to be sent back due to being inedible (how can you not cook beaded fish from a packet?). Off to bed, where the fun didn't start until 11ish. To be honest, at times I'd quite like to have been downstairs dancing and drinking until the early hours, however after a day's travel, and with two young boys asleep, last Saturday in Jackson's was hardly it.

The music below was loud enough to be able to feel the vibrations on your skin. Numerous complaints followed, to which reception were of no use at all, "you'll have to complain in the morning" etc. Shutting the window, kept the noise level down from "causes physical damage to eardrums" to "wow, how do those speakers produce that much sound", unfortunately the temperature rose to unbearable. The music was supposed to finish at 1.30am - although it peace finally descended at 2.15am. By the way we were offered a new room at 1.45am, but politely declined.

Up at 7 - that's the way it is with young boys, surely breakfast would be better. Requests for a high chair were politley ignored - we had to search for one ourselves (different part of the hotel). There didn't seem to be any level of service at all (sorry - I was asked if I'd like a coffee). The slightly surreal stay was topped off by a fantastically drunk threesome supping Heineken next to us, attempting to talk, but not really suceeding. (which was not really the fault of the hotel, but did to the experience).

After this interesting 16 hours, the hotel did knock €20 off the bill, which was of about as much use as a cardboard lifeboat. Ballybofey seemed to be nice as a town, lovely walks in the surrounding woodland - just don't stay in Jacksons

Great new rooms

by TripAdvisor Member grannny

We stayed in Jackson's for 3 days in June on a special deal which was
too good to miss - 3 bed and breakfast and 2 dinners for about £104pps. Christy Moore was appearing in the hotel and this was the main reason why we booked and never having stayed there before we didn't know what to expect. The car parking facilities are good - free for hotel guests.

Check-in was completed efficiently and we were given a room in the older section of the hotel at the very top of the building. It was difficult to access as the lift only went to the first floor. Luggage
had to be lugged up and down a variety of staircases. When we eventually found the room it didn't smell very fresh. In fact the smell in the corridors etc. upstairs in this part of the hotel was quite unpleasant and seemed to permeate everywhere.

We asked if we could be transferred to a room in the new part and the
receptionist dealt with our request promptly and in a friendly manner. What a difference! The new room overlooked the river and was beautifully furnished. The only fault we could find was in the design
of the washbasin in the bathroom which was aesthetically very pleasing but was not very practical.

On the first night the food at dinner was very tasty, beautifully presented and included a delicious vegetarian option. The service was friendly, helpful and efficient and we enjoyed our meal. Second night was a bit of a disappointment but we excused this as staff were
obviously catering for a large number of Christy Moore fans!! The pre-show dinner was very good value and many people availed themselves of it. On our third night we went to the restaurant at the Villa Rose Hotel, just a few steps along the street from Jackson's. This is a modern restaurant and the staff are young and helpful. We enjoyed a wonderful meal with several vegetarian dishes on the menu - learn from this, Jackson's! We were impressed by Villa Rose - maybe stay there next time?

Breakfast was not as enjoyable or tasty. The hot buffet was unappetizing and had obviously been cooked for some time so after queuing on the first morning we decided not to do so again. However when we asked for something not on the hot buffet i.e. scrambled egg, it was freshly cooked and was delicious. I think that if the waiting staff took orders in the traditional way and food was cooked fresh then breakfast could be enormously improved.
The range of fresh fruit, cereals, yoghurt and bread was adequate.

The leisure facilities were good and they were well used by us as the
weather was atrocious! The concert venue in the new part of the hotel was fabulous and the show was great.

All in all it was great value and we will definitely be back but only
if we can get a room in the new part - and a good deal!

Hated the whole experience.

by TripAdvisor Member tico_1010

Hadn't been to Jacksons in almost 15 years, to be fair am kinda glad now. The occasion, a wedding. The food was pretty much hit and miss, the vegetables were so undercooked it was unbelievable. The staff, what can you say. Terrible, we couldn't even get time to finish our drinks when they were taking the glasses away. Yet, when we lined up at the bar to buy a drink it took about 15-20 mins to get served because most of the staff couldn't speak English.

At the end of the night there was a massive brawl outside, the Gardi were there, yet the night staff couldn't be bothered to try and find a taxi for people staying in various B&B s around the area.

The rooms in the Hotel itself were pretty ordinary, the service pretty bad and the cost really over the top for what we received. This one of the most over-rated hovels, sorry Hotels in Ireland.

The Dog

by TripAdvisor Member cinderella23

May I just say i have stayed at this hotel many times over the years as i have family in the area and the dog does not go into the kitchen he is trained! He stays in the reception and hallway and the many children stayin in the hotel love to play with him!

Comments