Derry Road, Ludden, Buncrana, Ireland
Booking.com Priceline.com

More about Buncrana

StragillStragill

Another Beautiful Natural BeachAnother Beautiful Natural Beach

Relics of the doomed swimmerRelics of the doomed swimmer

Father Hegarty's RockFather Hegarty's Rock

I'm moving to Buncrana in September

by elisabethamaya

Hi!!
My name is Elisabet. I'm from the south of Spain and I'll go to Buncrana in September to work at Crana College as a language assistant. I've already been to Ireland, but do not know that area. I'd like to know a bit about the place (college, education,young people, costumes...)I'll have to rent a room, so I need to know if that's possible there (it is a small town)And of coure, What about places for young people? (I'm 25 years old)
many thanks
elisabeth

RE: I'm moving to Buncrana in September

by eireguy

Try the following for accomodation.....on the web look for the donegal democrat or the donegal peoples press. This may not help that much, otherwise try daft.ie its an irish accomodation site.

You'll have a great time in Buncrana.....but wrap up warm and bring some rain gear!

Re: I'm moving to Buncrana in September

by marymacgoo

Hi Elisabet,
I'm new to these forums and i note it is almost the end of september now so i'm thinking you are already in Buncrana and have found suitable accomodation.
If however, that is not the case then let me know and perhaps we can meet up.
I am married and living just outside Buncrana (about 10 min walk to Crana College). I have 2 teenagers attending Crana College and we would have space in our home to accomodate a mature single person. How long are you planning to stay in Buncrana?
So let me know if you are still interested. All the best.
Mary

Travel Tips for Buncrana

Buncrana, aka "Budgin"

by gilescorey

"The Gateway to Inishowen"

Buncrana is a major town for the region, drawing her income variously on light industry, government offices and weekenders from the bordering "North". Too remote to draw international travelers, it remains a true community with nary a tourist shop in sight.

"Tied to "The North""

Buncrana sits approximately 15km from the major Northern Ireland city of Derry/Londonderry. Easing of relations between the two "nations" fomented growth in Buncrana. "Buncrana"(meaning "mouth of the Crana river in gaelic) was a popular beach destination for northerners. But, with the ease and competitive fares to better climes, such as Spain, the town has begun to suffer, especially with The Crisis.

Weather, as we all know, is not Ireland's strong point.

Buncrana town sits upon Lough Swilly, the deepest natural channel in the U.K. and a strategic defense point in wartime, offering visitors some beautiful vistas and sea life.

"Exploring from here..."

Donegal is considered, by many, to be the most rugged and beautiful county of Ireland. However, few ever venture north of Donegal town. Starting in Buncrana, work your way up the Inishowen Peninsula for some mind-blowing scenery. Mamore Gap to Malin Head will induce tears. It is rapturous. Conversely, a quick ferry ride to Rathmullan connects the area to Fanad, and Horn Head. View "tips" for more in-depth information.

Malin Head

by gilescorey

"The Northernmost Reach of Ireland"

Malin Head is the tip of the Inishowen Peninsula; a spindly finger that runs between Lough Swilly on the Republic side, and Lough Foyle that separates Donegal from Northern Ireland. Here, on the West Side of the Peninsula, we have the "Five Finger Strand". The Fingers are not visible here, but the stark beauty is.

The beach is stunning, but swimming is treacherous. The brutal riptides are visible from the above headlands, and locals avoid the water.

"Over and back down..."

Over the Malin Headlands and down to the East side, you'll find signs for "The Wee House of Malin". The "house", a crumbling relic, was alledgedly a secret spot for the congregating Catholics. However, it's the continually stunning scenery that will stay with you.

Comments