Sligo-Donegal Road, Bundoran, Ireland

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Great Northern Hotel and Leisure Centre

Brilliant location

by TripAdvisor Member holidayman16

I recently stayed in the great northern hotel on a globus tour of the north western region of ireland. The drive up to the hotel is magnificent with a beautiful view of the golf course and sea. When i reached the hotel i was directed to my hotelroom by the junior manager. When i reached my hotel room i was dissapointed to say the least. Such beautiful views surrounding the hotel and unfortunately the only view i had was of a wall. My t.v. would not work and when i rang reception they told me they would send someone up. I was quite surprised to find a young boy who only looked fourteen years of age call to the door. The friendly young man told me he was sixteen and as well as having me in stitches laughing he fixed my t.v in no time!! The food was very good and i found the bar to be a nice little place where i seen the young man again who fixed my t.v. collecting glasses. My stay in the hotel was very much contented but i was dissapointed with some of the rooms facilities which seemed to be aged. And it was no wonder when i found out that the hotel is over 100 years old!!!

Not a four star hotel

by TripAdvisor Member SB&BB

I should have realised how bad this hotel was going to be when I tried to book initially... I called and they stated their computer was down and asked quite rudely would I call back another time.
The hotel was old, in dire need of a refurbishment and would not be considered a four start hotel by any means.

Great location ; Bad food

by TripAdvisor Member Drumquin

Beside impressive Rougey cliff path . Lounge very comfortable and spacious though a bit worn . Long rather gloomy corridors . Rustic style dining-room very attractive but the meal I had was very salty and well below par . Bedroom pleasant enough but some noise from other guests at night . Apart from the cliff walk Bundoran itself does not have much going for it and local tourist industry workers have a definite tendency towards surliness .

Will visit again

by TripAdvisor Member MargaretReid

Just back from the Great Northern Hotel and loved it. We requested a sea view and was given one at no extra charge.
The breakfast was lovely and plenty of it and we had a five course meal in the restaurant which was one of the best meals i have ever had. The staff were lovely and very friendly and the service was excellent.
Our room was quite large, although the wallpaper was old fashioned and was a bit sore on the eyes, the bathroom window although closed was blowing a gale through the curtains.(well it was December) These are petty complaints and our overall view was fantastic.

Awful Hotel and unfriendly staff

by TripAdvisor Member Sadieirl

Stayed in this hotel last night for a wedding.

Room was stinking of stale smoke - we were never asked if we wanted smoking or non. Bathroom was smelly and musty. No lights worked in the corridors. It was freezing. Dirt on the corridor carpets, Lift didnt work, leisure centre getting renovated but I wasnt told when I booked and there was no price change even though those facilities were not available. The food was edible and the staff were rude. They looked like they hated their jobs and made you feel guilty for asking for anything. This hotel is NOT a four star. I would never ever stay there or recommend it to anyone I know. Most of the rest of the wedding party had problems also.

A very cold welcome...

by TripAdvisor Member tomcatWexford

Stayed for two nights after Christmas. First impression as you drive to hotel it looks very nice out on its own surrounded by the sea. As you enter the hotel you can see that it is a very old hotel. Needs plenty of renovation and touch ups. Checked in and went to hotel room. Very drafty corridors and you would wait forever on the lift! I had to have a cold shower that evening as there was no hot water. Other guests had the same problem but they also had no heating in their rooms. Drafty corridors and cold rooms. Not very welcoming on a cold December night. Even the fire in the lounge was not lightling. When we ordered room service for breakfast we didn't get what we ordered. Asked for more cards to put on the door so we could order breakfast the next day and we had to ask at reception SIX times for the card to be sent up. Each time we were brushed off as if they were too busy to deal with us. Food was ok. Nothing to write home about. They had no residant's bar, and no Guinness on our first night. Hello!!!In Ireland or any other country for that matter, what pub/hotel/any establishment that can call itselft a 4 star do not have Guinness? Staff were not the friendliest and by no means should this hotel be rated a 4 star.

Completely overated at 4 stars

by TripAdvisor Member pillaroffire

Be very afraid.
I stayed in this hotel recently. It was dreadful. The staff were generally unhappy and seemed to want to take it out on the customers.
When I requested the leisure centre attendant to sign me in[I was,nt feeling well at the time] she roared at me that that it was not her job to do this and I would have to do it myself. I was completely taken aback never having experienced blatant ignorance and rudeness of this sort in a hotel before. I said i,d have to take this up with management and she said she did not care.I felt maybe she had serious personal problems [,this was probably the only job she could get, so I overlooked the issue]. When I ordered a drink in the bar the attitude was impersonal and not at all friendly.
The food was mediocre and the general standard of decor furniture etc was shabby. The hotel regularly caters for large noisy weddings and golf tours on a weekend basis. . .This hotel is grossly overated at 4 stars. In my opinion it barely deserves one star. My advice dont go there.

Dont eat in dining room

by TripAdvisor Member and

Just back from the Great Northern Hotel and had a really relaxing stay, but would never go back as my meal in the dining room was quite a disaster - got human hairs in the turkey and ham dinner, black spots in milk at breakfast and coffee pot not clean. Dinningroom Manager didn't quite see a problem and was less than helpful. I couldn't help wondering if this was normal standard. How could it be rated as 4 Star.

Quite alot of confusion at reception when guests were checking out, with prepaid items added to the bill again and staff not very co-operative when this was pointed out - generally unprofessional.

great disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member ellieArmagh

Arrived at the hotel at 2.30 in the afternoon hoping for a nice
lunch but lunch finished at 2.00pm? so the only option was
soup and sandwiches. The room we were allocated was the
worst I have ever experienced, damp patch over the door and
curtains hanging off the curtain rail. We were able to get another
room after complaining but no apology was offered for the appalling state of the first room. I was so disappointed by this
stage I didnt want to stay at all but we did manage to enjoy the break dispite this and the fact that the leisure centre was closed.

We were staying for free and still left early..

by TripAdvisor Member AW56

We luckily had won a weekend voucher for two nights including an evening meal for this hotel, if our stay had not been free we would have booked out after the first night.

As per the other reviews the leisure centre is still closed it is not been renovated it is that the management of the hotel have decided they can only afford to heat one swimming pool in the town so you will be sent to the sister hotel in the town called the hotel Rood.

The meal in the supposed four star was not even of canteen standard our drinks were twenty minutes arriving and the meal was cold. The dessert was still frozen inside and the soup was tepid.

Our room was like something decorated in the 1970's with a tiny portable TV and broken shower head. The staff were indifferent and under trained we had 5 different people taking our orders for our meal none of which was written down. Our meal time was for 8.15 we were finished a four course dinner in 35 minutes because it was all prepared and re heated. So much for a nice relaxing evening meal in a four star hotel. When we complained we were fobbed off with comments such as what did we expect for a package deal etc.

Comments