Lough Eske, Donegal, Ireland

Expedia.com Travelocity Splendia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• lee.evelyn's Profile Photo

Donegal's historic Castle Hotel & Spa Resort

Myself and two friends had a bottle of wine and a light Snack in the Gallery Bar.
    The service was attentive and friendly and the Crab Croquettes, with smoked Tomato Coulis, were superb and so was the wine and the ambiance!
    We didn't stay there but found it a beautiful hotel, with a beautiful garden with interesting bronze sculptures ( a dragon beside an big old tree, a little dog on the front steps and a deer among others).
    I've known this place as ruin for over 15 years and to see it rebuilt in such a stunning way, is just amazing!
    The staff are friendly and attentive but not stiff (like one is likely to encounter in a 5-Star Hotel

Unique Quality: The Hotel is in it's own gardens, surrounded by a natural, old cedar forest. Adjacent to Lough Eske.
    There is a Spa attached to the hotel and a 12 m pool (use of swimming pool for hotelguests only)
    The hotel has two bars (the Oak Bar, Gallery Bar which is built on the same spot where the ballroom in the old castle was (the old castle burnt down in 1939), a Restaurant, two opulently furnished lounges, where one can sink into very comfortable sofas (one in the theme of green, the other red with antique looking paintings on the walls)

Directions: turn off for Lough Eske Drive from the N15 Donegal to Lifford Road, till you see a small chruch to your right and a signpost for Solis Lough Eske Castle, turn right and follow the path along the lake through forests to the front of the castle.

More about Solis Lough Eske Castle

Loved Solis Lough Eske

by TripAdvisor Member SunStar1

The best hotel I've ever stayed in by far. Rooms were huge and finished to perfection. Bathrooms were big and fully stocked with all you need. Shower was amazing. Hotel itself was beautiful, and staff were very helpful. I attended a wedding this weekend at the Solis, and everything went off without a hitch. Food, wine, service - all great. Would recommend this hotel to anyone for a treat.

Donegal's only five star.....

by sourbugger about Lough eske Hotel

It would appear that if you want to open five star hotel in Ireland you must start with the base ingredient of a castle. In this case the castle dates back to the 15th century, although it was totally rebuilt in the 1860's. It therefore has something of the Victorian romanticised of castle building.

It didn't help that the place burned to the ground in 1939. The rebuilding therefore basically started with the facade, and has millions spent behind it. I will admit that they have done a fantastic job of the public rooms - sympathetic to the history but still clearly a hotel. The new rooms at the rear seem however to have been sub-contacted to an architect who specialised in council offices and retirement homes during the 1970's.

The rooms were very large indeed and tastefully furnished. Superb bathrooms and beautiful beds. The money has certainly been spent in that department. The spa too is very well appointed.

Now for the rant :

The restaurant service was terminally slow
We had to queue for a breakfast table
They charged extra if you had more than about three baby carrots with your meal
You are charged some mean amount to use the sauna / steam room at the spa
You have to walk ooutside to get to some rooms - not much use when it is chucking it down

If I pay for a five star hotel - I expect to be able to use five star facilities. The artworks in the grounds are very tasteful, and all for sale. They range from twee little dogs on steps to some impressive nudes in the formal gardens.

Inside the main public rooms you can also fins a couple of Lucian Freud's. One of them is of the owner and hangs over the fireplace.

Donegal's only Five star hotel

They charged extra if you had more than about three baby carrots with your meal
You are charged some mean amount to use the sauna / steam room at the spa

Total Luxury

by TripAdvisor Member christmaskay

i stayed at solis lough eske castle 28th june 2008 .After reading other reveiws about bad service and poor food i was quite sceptical. thankfully my fears were unfounded .The staff were very friendly and helpful the food and service excellent. The rooms were luxurious well worth a visit. One of the best hotels i have ever stayed in.

Love this place

by TripAdvisor Member JMcC2008

We are just back from a wonderful stay at the Solis Lough Eske Castle, and we had a brilliant time!it is great if you are looking for something that lttle bit special. The way we approached the property from Donegal town we found it a little difficult to find so we followed the sign posts for the neighbouring hotel and ended up coming in via the back gate. However when we got there the miserable weather did not stop us from having a wonerful time. The rooms are big and very clean with alot of attention to detail, for example there were candles placed beside our bath and matches to light them.

We went for a walk around the grounds, and there are some bits that still need finishing off, but the transformation from the pictures of the castles a few years ago is unbelieveable. The view of the lough from the main drive way is gorgeous!we even found some ruins between the trees and a huge celtic cross.

We had our meal in the restaurant that evening, and that was ok, but the selection on the menu was a bit limited and portion sizes were below average. The service in the evening was very good, but at breakfast times the staff were a little streched, but despite this nothing was too much bother for them, and it was the same throughout, the staff are commited to making sure you are well looked after.

The Spa was absolutly fantastic!I went on the Sunday evening and had the whole place to myself for 3 hours!Then on the Monday morning i had some treatments booked and i was the only person there again! The pool was lovely, and for those who arent great swimmers you can put your feet down the whole way, changing facitiltes good and sauna etc. all very good.

Overall an excellant experience, will definately return. The only thing i would do differently is eat in more of the lovely restaurants and cafes in the town. Me&my husband would agree that this hotel is breathe taking!I think in a couple of years all the little things will be ironed out and this will be a perfect destination for relaxing breaks.

Has potential

by TripAdvisor Member Andymc34

I was a guest here the night the fire alarm went off! - We were in the back wing of the hotel.

The fire alarm woke me up, when I tried calling reception the phone was engaged. So I proceeded to get myself and my partner out of the hotel.

We took the stairs down to the Emergency Fire Exit and found to my astonishment it was LOCKED!

We then proceeded down the corridor to the next exit and that was locked as well!

We went back into the main section of the hotel, on the opposite side of the wing we were staying in and found the exit there was locked also.

Finally as we approached the corridor back towards reception we found an open exit and proceeded through this outside into the court yard and around to reception.

Back at reception there was pandemonium, wedding guests were still rounding off the night, and staff were very unorganised.

I asked at reception if there was infact a fire and they said they didn't know! - I suggested that perhaps people should be leaving the building until they were fully aware of the situation.

I decided not to return until I was sure it was a false alarm!

The next day, I informed reception of the problems we had with the fire exits. I was informed that there was a knob to turn to open the door and signage to the effect! - I feel that this response was inadequate, at the time of the incident the corridors were well illuminated, I was calm and collected and I still couldn't open them (I'm an engineer by prof.), Surely all fire doors should have push-bar mechanisms.

These Fire doors are a hinderence and god forbid if there had been a fire, with the plushness of all the furnishings and curtains separating sections of the hall, the place could be a death trap very fast!

I would love to have recommended this place, it is a beauty spot! But to be honest I couldn't sleep after the incident - I had booked to spend two nights but only stayed the one.

blissfull

by TripAdvisor Member carmz

The hotel is absolutely exquisite, the rooms are fantastic! Staff are more than friendly they made the stay very enjoyable..
Food was also lovely especially the breakfast.. and the views in the surrounding area are breath taking!
I would definitely go back and strongly recommend it to anyone!

Avoid this hotel

by TripAdvisor Member disappointed2Wicklow

Nightmare stay. Booked twin room but on arrival was put in double. Changed to another room but it was occupied. Eventually, a twin room was found on another floor. One meal was part of package agreed but attempt was made to bill us for it at end. Asked receptionist if there were any Blue Stacks walks nearby, was told 'no'. We drove about 5 to 10 minutes and found a magnificent walk on slopes of mountains, posted as an official walk. That walk was our highlight of the trip. First morning had a breakfast off the menue - the other two mornings only a buffet was available. We have eaten better breakfasts at roadside cafes or in Travel Lodges. RTE 1 and RTE 2 television reception was unwatchable in room. Door was hammered on by another guest twice on last night (at 11.30 and 12.15). Our sleep was destroyed. Sandwich in bar was barely edible. Standard for an alleged 5 star hotel was a joke. Never go near the place again.

delightful

by TripAdvisor Member cookie1000

stayed in this hotel in mid june 2008. it was beautiful, service great, rooms a delight (we stayed in deluxe) with lovely attention to detail. We didn't have a meal there but breakfast was lovely with a good choice of food. Downstairs bar is a little bland in decor. It is a little of the beaten track and so is very quiet which was nice at night. I would recommend this hotel to friends and can't wait to see it finished as they are obviously still working on gardens and drive. Loved the sculptures throughout the gardens!

Spa Hotels

by TigerLil

Hi

Me and mine are lookng to go away in March and I thought Ireland would be a perfect location for some down time.

We are looking to go somewhere scenic, but still has shops not too far and other attractions. We also want to stay in a spa hotel (which is key as this trip is a relaxation trip).

Can anyone recommend anywhere, we have no particular location in mind as we have never visited Ireland before.

Thanx

Stefy x

by leics

Spas are not my thing, but you could make a start by looking at the official tourist site spa/wellness pages:

Lots of details/info there.

by Elena77

We've stayed at Coolanowle Guest House last year and very much enjoyed it. It's a lovely "country house and spa" at County Laois. You can find shops and restaurants at nearby towns like Athy and Carlow. It's also just a drive of around 1 hour to Dublin.
The Wicklow Mountains are close by and you can also find several castles in the vicinity.

Cheers,
Elena

by annemariebyrne

The hotel Meyrick in Galway is a luxury hotel with a spa. It is located in the centre of Galway city but you could easily go on trips to the surrounding countryside, especially Connemara or the Aran islands. Check the special offers on their website www.hotelmeyrick.ie, look at 'February Offers'where there is a five day package for €239 - this deal is also available in March when you want to travel although I can't see a link on their page (i saw it advertised in a newspaper).
You can get an Aircoach from Dublin airport direct to Galway or you could travel in to the city centre and get a train to Galway.

by lee.evelyn

Solis Lough Eske Castle Hotel & Spa is a newly opened 5star hotel and spa. Situated in its own gardens amidst a natural forest. It is located 2.5 miles outside Donegal Town where you'll find among many shops the famous Magee's of Donegal.

by TigerLil

Thanx guys, will check these places out :D

by lee.evelyn

have a look at www.solishotels.com and then click on the Ireland link Really nice place, I havent been at the Spa, cause I don't 'spa' the ocean is so near!but I'ven been in the Restaurant a couple of times.

Comments