Dunlewey, Gweedore, Co. Donegal, Ireland., Dunlewey, Ireland
Booking.com HostelBookers.com Priceline.com

More about Dunlewy

dunlwy - royalty free from fotosearchdunlwy - royalty free from fotosearch

The majestic Mount ErrigalThe majestic Mount Errigal

Mount Errigal (photo Dirk)Mount Errigal (photo Dirk)

panoramic view from Mount Errigal (photo Dirk)panoramic view from Mount Errigal (photo Dirk)

Travel Tips for Dunlewy

Probably the best hostel in Europe...

by errigalclimber

"Errigal Youth Hostel"

Nestled at the foot of Mount Errigal, Donegal's highest peak, the Errigal Youth Hostel has to be one of the finest in Europe. Errigal is a relatively easy climb, but beware of the loose rocks at the summit. I never tire of climbing it.

Losing litres of sweat on Mount Errigal

by Alain_Smeets

"UNDER CONSTRUCTION"

Dunlewy, a small town in the County Donegal, well I never heard about this place while I was looking into the lonely planet from Ireland. But me and my friend wanted to do a lot of hiking and the Mount Errigal was mentioned there.

Driving over the winding Irish roads gives you the impression of a flat landscape but when then all of a sudden you see Mount Errigal peaking in the distance and you have a point to fixate on. This is the mountain we are going to hike up to in an half hour. When you drive around it, he looks impressive.

Mount Errigal is the highest point of the County Donegal and stands 751 metres tall. This mountain is cone shaped and ends in a peak. But when you go up, you will notice two peaks when you arrive at the top. We parked our car at the car park and there are many people who are doing the hike towards the top.

I can tell you that the hike towards the top isn't easy. It starts in a green meadow, but then it starts going up and yes here are also the loose rocks again, it seems that all mountains in Ireland have these loose rocks. (It brings back memories to Croagh Patrick). The hike to the top is hard for me, I'm out of shape. But the sights compensate that. Once at the first top I realise that I need to go further to the second one and oh my, my fear of heights is playing up. But the landscape is breathtaking just like the hike to the top.

Comments